The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f730/)
-   -   Wheel ideas on the GT/CS..... (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f730/wheel-ideas-gt-cs-439803/)

HOTLAP 8/29/06 08:23 PM

Wheel ideas on the GT/CS.....

Just curious - are most GT/CS owners going to stay with the stock 18" polished rims? I think they look pretty decent and may end up taking mine to a local wheel shop and switch them out for the chrome versions.....they'll do it for $125.00/wheel....I did this on my Alantic Blue '00GT and they offset with the blue much better than the stock silver GT rims....thoughts??

hp246 8/29/06 09:04 PM

The only thought I had was to paint the spokes the same color as the car.

Dougxox 8/29/06 11:14 PM

the stock 18" fanblades look so much like the old style Craggers, I'am just going to leave them be, a bit of that retro thing. Get a lot of comments on them.

HOTLAP 8/31/06 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Dougxox
the stock 18" fanblades look so much like the old style Craggers, I'am just going to leave them be, a bit of that retro thing. Get a lot of comments on them.

Doug - I may end up just doing the same thing....I currently have 18" Cobra Bullits on my '05 - polished lip with grey metallic spokes and like how they match the retro theme of the car too.

05stangkc 9/2/06 08:58 AM

DON'T Forget to Swap the TPMS SENSORS!

KC

HOTLAP 9/2/06 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by 05stangkc
DON'T Forget to Swap the TPMS SENSORS!

KC

KC - good point - where are they:dunno: ..... integrated into the valve stem?

tuco 9/2/06 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by HOTLAP
KC - good point - where are they:dunno: ..... integrated into the valve stem?

I believe the TPMS is attached to a devise that is wrapped around the wheel itself, and thus, hidden inside the tire. At least, the Manual says that as it warns tire installers to be sure to place the TPMS device just opposite the valve stem location.

HOTLAP 9/2/06 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by tuco
I believe the TPMS is attached to a devise that is wrapped around the wheel itself, and thus, hidden inside the tire. At least, the Manual says that as it warns tire installers to be sure to place the TPMS device just opposite the valve stem location.

Rick - thanks - I've always wondered how a TPMS system works.....and how it communicates to the message center.......

boss429man 9/2/06 05:02 PM

It Is Part Of The Valve Stem.

HOTLAP 9/3/06 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by boss429man
It Is Part Of The Valve Stem.

OK - someone has to ask the obvious question....how does the TPMS communicate with the message center....is there actually an electrical connection between the wheel and the vehicle harness - allowing the wheel senser to provide feedback to the message center?

tuco 9/3/06 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by HOTLAP
OK - someone has to ask the obvious question....how does the TPMS communicate with the message center....is there actually an electrical connection between the wheel and the vehicle harness - allowing the wheel senser to provide feedback to the message center?

I think, but could be wrong here, that it is some way related to the ABS braking system??

HOTLAP 9/5/06 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by tuco
I think, but could be wrong here, that it is some way related to the ABS braking system??

tuco - good guess - I wonder if they measure the lower profile of an underinflated tire as spinning at at a different speed (faster) than a properly inflated tire....

05stangkc 9/6/06 08:59 PM

The Current TPMS is in Side on the Wheel held by what is basically a large Hose Clamp! The are a Small Transmitter. The Valve stem Style was used on Previous Models.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=38358

hippiehead025 9/7/06 04:45 AM

I put fr500's on my 07 sonic blue cs.

RUgoinUp? 9/7/06 09:04 AM

It's Vista Blue.

HOTLAP 9/7/06 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by 05stangkc
The Current TPMS is in Side on the Wheel held by what is basically a large Hose Clamp! The are a Small Transmitter. The Valve stem Style was used on Previous Models.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=38358

KC - thanks for the clarification - that transmitter battery operated? And I'm betting we now know why so much weight is needed on these wheels?

Hey Kev - is my GT/CS in yet:grin: By the way - thanks for the parts (and the extra goodies) - your service is excellent!! I'm trying to get just the grip portion of the leather e-brake handle off so I don't have to change out the entire assembly. The plastice shrouds come off easily - but having a hard time figuring out how the grip piece is attached....looks like a slide on plastic housing with the leather glued to the outside....can't see any locking tabs - will post if I figure a way to remove it w/o destroying the part!