2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS California Special

What to do, GT/CS or SGT

Search this Thread

Old 7/27/07, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do, GT/CS or SGT

Its time for a new Mustang and I’ve decided to get a loaded Grabber Orange GT/CS at x-plan price (about $31k) unless I could find a good deal on a Shelby GT. I figured a good deal on a SGT was unlikely but I had to at least try. Well right when I had pretty much resolved to getting a GT/CS I found a no additional option white SGT for invoice, $36,198. Now I’m having a hard time deciding what to do. Any thoughts?
Old 7/27/07, 11:18 AM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I went the Shelby route, but that's me. Everyone is different.

If you get a GT/CS will you regret not getting a SGT? If you get an SGT, will wished you had ~$7K more in your pocket (est GT/CS to come in around $29K)?

You really just have to ask yourself, deep down what do you really want. Lot's of (if not most), folks can't see paying $8-10K more for the SGT over a GT (I couldn't either until I saw the Vista Blue 08 SGT).

Right now there's a white SGT on ebay at invoice price $36,595 (2 hours left)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...QQcmdZViewItem
Combine that with 0% financing and it's not that bad of a deal.
Old 7/27/07, 11:26 AM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

FYI, if you want Grabber Orange, they are making 300 Grabber Orange 2008 SGTs for Southern California dealers.
Old 7/27/07, 11:55 AM
Bullitt Member

36k for a Shelby GT is not a bad deal. Dealers around here have them for 44k-49k. If you just want something signed by Shelby this is the car for you. Don't forget the **** thing doesn't even have a supercharger on it.

Personally I'm getting a GT/CS and I could easily spend the 8-10k+ I will save in mods.
Go with what you like best though. Advice like this is just going to get you thinking about it.
Old 7/27/07, 12:27 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Close call on that price. I would still say get the GT/CS. Shelby normally is about $11k more, with $2650 worth of actual add-ons. Hell for that price, you could get a supercharger tossed on and still have room for extras. Obviously the SHelby comes lowered and also have the cold air intake, so you do get about 20 more RWHP.

I could see paying $4k over, for the $2650 add-ons, but spending 10$+ is stupid. your deal is still $5k over and thats alot of add-ons u can do. lowering kits are only $450 at Les Schwabs.

Good luck in your decision..let us know what u do.
Old 7/27/07, 02:04 PM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

I'm with everyone else. For the money you'll save on a GT/CS, you could make it look like the Shelby for less. Plus, you could end up having more power, even if you don't go down the supercharger route. Again, your decision but I think they're both great looking cars and that price for the Shelby is much better than i've ever seen.
Old 7/27/07, 02:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

As I said in the SGT section I went with the SGT. I must be "stupid". Anyway go look at and drive both. Hopefully you will be able to drive the SGT. Either way I dont think you will be disappointed. And you get more than $2500 in add ons for the record. I am not going to get in a p'n match over what else and all that crap. As I said in the other thread, let us kno what you do and post some pics Cobra!
Old 7/27/07, 03:24 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The $36,970 Shelby GT—ours was $38,970 with an uplevel stereo, leather seats, and the interior upgrade package—starts life as a regular Mustang GT, built in the Flat Rock, Michigan, assembly plant, and is then shipped to the Shelby factory in Las Vegas for the $10,530 transformation to Shelby GT. When it comes out the other side, the 4.6-liter V-8 makes 319 horsepower, a gain of 19 ponies over a Mustang GT. Extra hardware includes a cold-air intake; a slightly more aggressive engine-computer tune—necessitating premium fuel—a high-flow exhaust; a welcome inch-and-a-half drop with stiffer shocks, springs, and anti-roll bars front and rear; and a short-throw Hurst shifter for the five-speed manual (a five-speed automatic is optional). Probably no Shelby owner cares that EPA fuel-economy ratings drop from 17 mpg city and 25 mpg highway for a Mustang GT to 16/23 for the Shelby GT. The Shelby wears the Mustang GT’s optional 18-inch wheels and P235/50ZR-18 BFGoodrich g-Force T/A all-season tires. Cosmetically, GTs come in your choice of white or black (all rental GT-Hs are black), with silver stripes. The GT wears the GT-H’s brushed aluminum grille, and the hood gets a fake, riveted-on scoop.

Potential buyers should know that all the upgrades (not including the stripes and hood scoop, which we don’t necessarily consider upgrades, anyway) are available from Ford Racing Performance Parts for a total of $2656.
Old 7/27/07, 03:51 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,538 Likes on 1,873 Posts
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=65371

Why Not Buy My Car! Cheaper and Faster ! FYI When I had This Car Sold on Ebay I found you Could Ship a car Coast to Coast for About a Grand. Also Some States Do Not Charge Sales Tax when Bringing in a Car Sold From Out of State!

KC
Old 7/27/07, 05:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Shelby!
Old 7/27/07, 05:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

i thought i posted on this...
oh well.

I SAY SHELBY.

rarer, nicer, and a very special car.
Old 7/27/07, 10:07 PM

For 2600 odd dollars you can have both (except for the Shelby Name)

Or you can pick and choose your modifications

Once you buy a Shelby, you are locked into the Shelby mods, if you want to maintain it's value. Since the GT/CS is purely appearance, you can mod it and still maintain it's value as a special edition.

If they were putting the Ford Racing Supercharger on the Shelby, it would be worth it. Since they are not, you are only paying for the name.
Old 7/29/07, 03:24 AM
Bullitt Member

I would vote for the GT/CS. They are both really nice but I agree with the majority above that you could have everything the SGT has minus the signed name plate for a lot less. Plus if I understood earlier posts about lowering the GT/CS correctly, you have to be really careful since the front bumper is already 1 1/2 inches lower. And since the SGT has the CS front bumper that might be a problem for daily driving in some areas.
Old 7/29/07, 05:29 PM
Bullitt Member

I wanted the Shelby but I did not see the $12,000 plus diff in the cars.
Old 8/5/07, 10:13 AM

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts on this topic. Last weekend I decided that if I could find a local white SGT w/ IUP, heated seats and sat radio for invoice that I would go ahead and get it instead of the GO GT/CS. After several hours of searching using ford.com I was able to find a dealer with one black and one white SGT. I called them up and they said they were willing to sell at invoice if I came down today. Well to make a long story short, it turns out the white SGT was still on its way to the Shelby plant; the invoice deal was only good on the black SGT. Initially I didn’t closely look over the black SGT before sitting down with the sales manager because I was planning on getting the white SGT and when I found out it wasn’t available yet and I didn’t think to closely look over the black SGT before (against my better judgment) signing for it. When they delivered it I noticed very bad water spots on the stripes but they signed that they would replace the stripes and I drove it home. When I got it home I noted a scratch in the ¼ panel, a dime size paint repair mark on the nose, 6 inch section of the stripe on the nose pealing, someone popped the hood w/o pulling the hood pins which dented the silver rings, along with the fact that the car didn’t have heated seats, I realized that I made a big mistake. On Monday morning I called the sales manager and explained the issues with the car. I then asked if I could bring the car back and order a fully loaded 08 GT/CS, he said, “bring it back.”

SO,… I have ordered a fully loaded 2008 Grabber Orange GT/CS, 5spd w/ spoiler delete.

Sorry for being long winded but I thought some of you would find it interesting.
Old 8/5/07, 10:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Delete???

Originally Posted by CobraR77
Thanks to everyone for their thoughts on this topic. Last weekend I decided that if I could find a local white SGT w/ IUP, heated seats and sat radio for invoice that I would go ahead and get it instead of the GO GT/CS. After several hours of searching using ford.com I was able to find a dealer with one black and one white SGT. I called them up and they said they were willing to sell at invoice if I came down today. Well to make a long story short, it turns out the white SGT was still on its way to the Shelby plant; the invoice deal was only good on the black SGT. Initially I didn’t closely look over the black SGT before sitting down with the sales manager because I was planning on getting the white SGT and when I found out it wasn’t available yet and I didn’t think to closely look over the black SGT before (against my better judgment) signing for it. When they delivered it I noticed very bad water spots on the stripes but they signed that they would replace the stripes and I drove it home. When I got it home I noted a scratch in the ¼ panel, a dime size paint repair mark on the nose, 6 inch section of the stripe on the nose pealing, someone popped the hood w/o pulling the hood pins which dented the silver rings, along with the fact that the car didn’t have heated seats, I realized that I made a big mistake. On Monday morning I called the sales manager and explained the issues with the car. I then asked if I could bring the car back and order a fully loaded 08 GT/CS, he said, “bring it back.”

SO,… I have ordered a fully loaded 2008 Grabber Orange GT/CS, 5spd w/ spoiler delete.
<O
Sorry for being long winded but I thought some of you would find it interesting.
I dont think you can get spoiler delete on the GT/CS??
Old 8/6/07, 03:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Sorry for the initial bad luck. Glad it worked out in the end. GO is an awesome color and is going to look killer.
When I ordered mine the dealer here tried the spoiler delete option and it went through but I chickened out knowing you couldn't get that on an '07 so I had him change it back. I didn't want anything to screw up the order. I am planning a GT500 spoiler anyway so no big deal.
Old 8/6/07, 10:20 AM
V6 Member

In Canada when the Shelby's first came out, about a year ago they were asking and getting $10-20K over MSRP .... about $75K.

At the same time I ordered a GT/CS with a full load under "Ford Family Pricing" for $36K..............which explains why I have a GT/CS.

If I could have gotten a new Shelby for under $50K I would likely have gone that way.

It's too bad about the Shelby, but the GT/CS is a great car as well.
Old 8/6/07, 03:06 PM

I'd say go GT/CS (which is what you did). I love the way a GT-H looks, so I ordered a GT/CS (with manual) and made a look-a-like.

I like that it isn't 1.5" lower, because mine is meant to be a daily driver. The front only looks cool when it ain't broke! I can now add the performance mods that I want. Make your's a GO Shelby look alike too, if that's what you really want - it isn't that hard.
Old 8/7/07, 06:48 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
If they come out with the G.O. in the Shelby GT that'll prolly be my next Mustang.

Quick Reply: What to do, GT/CS or SGT