The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f730/)
-   -   Weird clunk (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f730/weird-clunk-448515/)

CalStang'07 10/31/07 09:17 AM

Problem Fix: Found You?

Yup. CalStang has the same low speed bumps, front end clunking sounds. Thanks to this Forum, printed out the Ford TSB 07-18-2 on this problem and yesterday took it to my area Ford dealership. They test drove Cal and agreed that both of the front upper strut mount assemblies need to be replaced with the new revised versions. They also stated that we were the very first Stang owners to bring this concern to their shop's attention. The new parts were ordered and a job ticket written up for a scheduled warranty installation. Recommend to all of our fellow Forum Stang owners with like front end clunking problems, print out the TSB 07-18-2 and take it to your Ford dealership for a test drive, to get this resolved. Will post a followup on the final results of this problem's resolution! Wish us luck on this. :nice: We still just love our CalStang! No regrets on our purchase at all!! "RC"

BLCKNED 11/1/07 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by 07gtcs (Post 1033914)
Holy Smokes Batman! That is the other clunk I get when going over bumps. I took my pony in when it had 3k miles for its firts service and told the service manager about the clunk...he said it was normal, just like he said that the good scoop lifting was normal, just like he said the engine ticking at idle was normal. Well, finally the great Ford engineers:screwy: figured it out. One down, a few more to go.

Well it took my dealer 1.5 days to add lithium grease, which they called "a special grease they needed to order from Ford". In that whole time they had my car, they had to call over to Ford directly to find out which grease it was they needed to add to the driveshaft. :screwy:

PS CalStang, did they tell you how long it would take to get the parts and fix it?

Hollywood_North GT 11/1/07 03:03 PM

According to the shop foreman/head mechanic at my dealership, the front driver's side clunk that occurs intermittently (even if the car is at rest) is definitely being caused by some sort of vent/vane connected to the HVAC opening and/or closing. He tracked it down and said it was a normal function; nothing to worry about.

I, too, get an occasional clunk when I roll my driver or passenger windows down, but again, it's occasional.

And I also have a very soft whine (almost like nylon gears rubbing together) when I turn my steering wheel after the car has warmed up.

CalStang'07 11/1/07 03:40 PM

Front-end Clunk. Found You! They Fixed You!!

BLCKNED: Just returned from my Performance Ford Dealership with the TBS 07-18-2 upper strut mount assembly modification completed! They wrote the job ticket and replacement parts request on this Tuesday and two days later, All Done!! Glad to report that the front end is now as quite as a new Lexus! We test drove CalStang on rough roads, railroad track crossings and on a highway with expansion cracks too!! Wonderful! I love it!! Its All Good! When I arrived, they pulled CalStang right into the same shop where they work on the new Roush Stangs and put him up on the lift. The Shop manager said. "Don't worry about your Stang here in this shop". "We are all professional car guys and we understand!!" When I got back from lunch, they said that my GT/CS was all done. No charge and they thought I should be very pleased! So if you have this clunk noise too, just get it done. :nice:

BLCKNED 11/1/07 11:15 PM

Thanks RC, i plan to hit the dealer...my NEW dealer next week, its a pain to hear it cuz she sounds like she's falling apart, but I have no choice for now, cuz Ive been super swamped with work. But glad its an easy fix. My technician said that he would just go on a ride along with me to duplicate the sound, so maybe we can avoid this now and stop wasting time. Again, this is why I love these boards. Great help around every corner :metal: