The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f730/)
-   -   Waxing GT/ CS stripes #2 (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f730/waxing-gt-cs-stripes-2-a-446180/)

FRITZ 1/15/07 12:11 PM

Waxing GT/ CS stripes #2

I never got a final answer, can i wax the stripes along with the rest of the car? Some people say to wipe the wax off (the stripes) right away. Can i let it dry to a haze like the rest of the car then wipe it off? It seems like it would be a mess to wipe it off right away?

07gtcs 1/15/07 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by FRITZ (Post 820499)
I never got a final answer, can i wax the stripes along with the rest of the car? Some people say to wipe the wax off (the stripes) right away. Can i let it dry to a haze like the rest of the car then wipe it off? It seems like it would be a mess to wipe it off right away?

I don't see why you can't waxed them. I've waxed mine over and over. My CS is pretty new, but I've had cars that I've washed and waxed a bizillion times without deterioration to decals or plastics. Now, I can understand that if you have a darker color car and use that hazy white wax stuff, you may get residue between the paint and the decal and that looks ugly. However, if you use real carnauba wax you won't have that problem.

FRITZ 1/15/07 12:21 PM

Mine is Performance White if that makes any differance?

07gtcs 1/15/07 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by FRITZ (Post 820505)
Mine is Performance White if that makes any differance?

Same color I have. I wax right over them every time. :nice:

FRITZ 1/15/07 12:43 PM

07gtcs, do you let it dry with the rest of the car?

07gtcs 1/15/07 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by FRITZ (Post 820517)
07gtcs, do you let it dry with the rest of the car?

It all depends on the type of wax you are using. If it has to dry to buff, yes...it's the only way to make it shinny. Don't worry about those decals, they are made to withstand heat and all that mother nature has to offer. IMO, waxing them actually protects them just like waxing protects your paint.

FRITZ 1/15/07 01:27 PM

Looks like i know what i'll be doing next weekend. My '05 GT was sliver with no stripes, i haven't had a car with stripes since my '71 Dodge Challenger (fun car).

07gtcs 1/15/07 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by FRITZ (Post 820560)
Looks like i know what i'll be doing next weekend. My '05 GT was sliver with no stripes, i haven't had a car with stripes since my '71 Dodge Challenger (fun car).

If you have time and a lot of elboy grease, get some real carnauba wax...it looks great.

mvon919 1/16/07 11:44 AM

I can even wax over my Matte Black stripes! I use AutoGlym products... I haven't seen these available in US, so my friend sent me that from Europe.

BCTechieboy 1/16/07 11:54 AM

Before I picked up my car at the dealer I had them do "Paint Protection" on it and after I asked what about waxing? He said "never wax" as it acts as a magnifing glass on the paint in the sun. When it comes out of the garage in a few months I will have to look into this a bit further.

07gtcs 1/16/07 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by BCTechieboy (Post 821325)
Before I picked up my car at the dealer I had them do "Paint Protection" on it and after I asked what about waxing? He said "never wax" as it acts as a magnifing glass on the paint in the sun. When it comes out of the garage in a few months I will have to look into this a bit further.

That's because the dealer wants you to spend your money with them. People have been waxing their cars for eons without a problem. All of the sudden they come out with some new super dooper chemical that cleans the pores of your paint and then seals it. IMO is a bunch of crap:bs: . I would like to know what they meant by "magnifying glass". What to they think clearcoat is? When you spray a car you give it a base coat, let it dry, then you spray a clearcoat to protect the actual color and give it shine. Just wash and wax your car regularly like us mere mortals do. It's all a marketing scheme to get your money. What will they come up with next?:screwy:

tuco 1/16/07 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by BCTechieboy (Post 821325)

I agree w 07 gtcs, that's a load of BS, IMO. I have been waxing my cars, including my GT/CS, and never heard of such nonsense. You might ask them for a reference or proof of such a statement. :bad:

NJJOE 1/16/07 12:52 PM

Always waxed my cars and even did the stripes. Never had any problems. I am also like a lot of folks here, waxing the stripes may help the stripes last.

Bump 1/16/07 02:30 PM

I agree with the last several posts. A good wax product should provide UV protection, the same way that good glasses or contacts provide UV protection for your eyes.

GottaHaveIt 1/16/07 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by tuco (Post 821354)
I agree w 07 gtcs, that's a load of BS, IMO. I have been waxing my cars, including my GT/CS, and never heard of such nonsense. You might ask them for a reference or proof of such a statement. :bad:

I think what the dealer may have meant was just not to wax for a month or two, that's what I was told after they used some Liquid Gold paint protector to it , as far as the magnafing it No way.

07gtcs 1/17/07 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by tuco (Post 821354)
You might ask them for a reference or proof of such a statement. :bad:

I guarantee that they will have some proof...well, some marketing pamphlet or something that shows the manufacturer's point of view...and to a lot of people that is as good as God's word.

Stig 1/17/07 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by mvon919 (Post 821319)
I can even wax over my Matte Black stripes! I use AutoGlym products... I haven't seen these available in US, so my friend sent me that from Europe.

AutoGlym is great stuff. The resin polish (polish - not wax) and the hi-gloss finish seal the shine in.

That said, I also use Harly Wax which is carnauba - great stuff.

Remember, polish cleans the paint, then wax seals the finish and protects from sun/water damage.

Dougxox 1/17/07 09:58 PM

Zanio, does not leave the white residue between the stripe and the paint, easy to apply and buff off. check out some of the other threads, this is great stuff...