The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f730/)
-   -   Fine scratches found on my GT/CS, question....... (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f730/fine-scratches-found-my-gt-cs-question-443917/)

Comox 11/26/06 08:03 PM

Fine scratches found on my GT/CS, question.......

When I first bought the car the dealership talked me into having a special coating put on, like diamond coat I guess. It is put on by hand and it's my guess that the person doing the rubbing had his/her sleave down and the button created many fine scratches on the surface. I also notice that if I don't wipe the excess water off imediately that waterspots form and become very difficult to remove without a thorough polishing. I'm sure it has something to do with the added finish. My question, can the scratches be taken out by the paint shop or will they likely make it worse? I can only see them under artificial light now but would hate to see them in sunlight. Thanks for your input in advance. I have tried a few of my own methods to remove the marks to no avail and anyway I feel if it can be repaired it is the duty of the dealership to fix it.

Glenn 11/27/06 07:49 AM

there are several waxes tha t say they get rid of small scratches. Maybe try using a clay bar also.

blkstang06 11/27/06 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Comox (Post 787828)
When I first bought the car the dealership talked me into having a special coating put on, like diamond coat I guess. It is put on by hand and it's my guess that the person doing the rubbing had his/her sleave down and the button created many fine scratches on the surface. I also notice that if I don't wipe the excess water off imediately that waterspots form and become very difficult to remove without a thorough polishing. I'm sure it has something to do with the added finish. My question, can the scratches be taken out by the paint shop or will they likely make it worse? I can only see them under artificial light now but would hate to see them in sunlight. Thanks for your input in advance. I have tried a few of my own methods to remove the marks to no avail and anyway I feel if it can be repaired it is the duty of the dealership to fix it.

That special coating you got sold can be bought at any auto paint suppler for about 25.00 bucks you paid what about 200.00. the only way you can really get rid of the scratches is at a good body shop they might need to wet sand it lightly! but there are some really good compounds that will hide most of them! You learned the hard-way! I've been there too! Rule of thumb never let a dealer touch your paint!:doh:

GottaHaveIt 11/27/06 06:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hey Spense I had the same done on my 05 they use a product here called Diamond Kote Gold in a black bottle when they did it the rain beaded and left NO marks after a few wash's I did it my way same stuff and way better results, I now use the Mequires NXT and have been happy !
BTW how much snow you get ? like my Duck tail ? I get home from work and wham there it is.

VegasGold 11/27/06 07:00 PM

I just picked up my Mustang one week ago and noticed fine scratches...The dealers I do not believe really take car of our cars...I mentioned this to them and they said to bring it in...Well, I do not want them to ever touch my car again...I think they will make it worse over time...

I will try Scratch X and see what happens...Keep us updated

GottaHaveIt 11/27/06 07:58 PM

A lot of the dealers farm that stuff or work out , so even still bad for them as they'd have to accept responsibility for it, & I'm pretty sure a brand new car does NOT come with swirlly option.

GottaHaveIt 11/27/06 08:07 PM

A lot of the dealers farm that stuff or work out , so even still bad for them as they'd have to accept responsibility for it, & I'm pretty sure a brand new car does NOT come with swirlly option.

Comox 11/27/06 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by VegasGold (Post 788456)
I just picked up my Mustang one week ago and noticed fine scratches...The dealers I do not believe really take car of our cars...I mentioned this to them and they said to bring it in...Well, I do not want them to ever touch my car again...I think they will make it worse over time...

I will try Scratch X and see what happens...Keep us updated

I have a date with the dealership on Thursday to have the scratches taken out and have my Hood Scoop replaced. A corner bolt pulled right out of the scoop so it did not sit tight. I am still not sure whether to let them touch the scratches but will talk to the painter and see what is said. I also have to wonder if the new Hood Scoop will have a paint job equal to the rest of the car and will it last as many years. I guess time will answer that one.

All smiles all the time with a GT/CS

GottaHaveIt 11/28/06 08:27 AM

Now theres something to let them in on paint both or risk repainting both after they don't possibly match ? A real good body peron/painter would just know those things rather than a bean counter. at least well sort of have all winter to deal with it but who really wants to drive with roads as they are here.
When I got off the Ferry yesterday 3 vehicles in the ditch and I counted at least 18 pull outs along the way!

mvon919 11/28/06 01:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Ok... time to share my experience... I bought the car from Overseas Military Sales Corp / Military Cars... got it $1,250 under dealer invoice... pretty good deal. The car was shipped directly from factory to local Colorado Ford Dealer... it arrived to dealer mid-Sep, but I was able to pick it up not until 7th Oct (when move to CO). It was waiting at the lot for two-three weeks... much time to get scratched or stolen :banghead:

Ok, I called dealer in Monday morning to prepare the car for pick-up and off I went with my wife... it was raining. Arrived at the "crime scene", my CS was sitting in the rain, washed and polished, everything looked good, until... I noticed pretty nasty scratches in left front fender... I went inside, asked about the scrathes... they had no idea on how the car got the scratches and I was yelling at them on it... see pics.

They recorded the damage and said they need to investigate, if it happened in their lot or during shipping. I called them the next day, also contacted Military Cars (my dealer) about the damage and got time to get it fixed next Monday... got Taurus for a rental, but needed to pay LDW (Insurance) myself... Friday I went to pick my car up, everything fixed well.

Happy with it, until I was waxing it the first time, I noticed that whey have not covered the car properly when applying Clear coat and I found small drops of cc over the car... I was able to get them off with hard work, but called to Military Cars again about this dealer. They asked me to go over the dealer to ask about the coverage, but I said I'll never do business with them anymore. This dealer totally sucks. Military Cars promised to refund the dealer preparation fee ($275) and my LDW rental fees + gas ($200). Military Cars is great, they have super customer service. I got the checks.

Later I got call from Military Cars, they told me that they've dropped this dealer out of their program.:metal:which is good. this dealer sucks. big time.

Anyway, no paint problems with my car anymore, I got the cc drops off and have installed Matte Black BSM 10" Stripes among with many other mods... I'll list them when I wash my car (need to wait stripes to cure) and take pics of it.

Next time I'll pick up my car from the factory line directly.

Comox 11/28/06 05:48 PM

Glad to hear that the scratches were removed on your Mustang. My concern, as I am having some srcatches removed, hopefully, is because I had a Diamond Coat put on the car before taking delivery. I don't know if more clearcoat can be sprayed over that finish and if not just how do they remove the scratches.

From your photo your car appears to be black. Do you have any pictures to post. Our cars are all basically the same but somehow they all take on their own character in a photo.
Congratulations on your new car!

mvon919 11/28/06 09:37 PM

Yep. It's black... I haven't got time to photograph it yet... been busy driving it. I'll take some pictures, when I get it washed... right now, it's snowing like he** in here...

Glenn 11/29/06 05:43 AM

many dealerships also have some kid in back buffing new cars as part of the dealer prep. This causes alot of swril marks and light scratches.

GottaHaveIt 11/29/06 12:03 PM

a kid huh what with ear phone on listening to Rap music while buffing with the arms moving to the music ? I could just Imagine, I will do mine myself although the job my dealership did was good.