The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   Alloy Grey (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f728/)
-   -   Maintaining Alloy Grey?? (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f728/maintaining-alloy-grey-443841/)

cookiemonster 11/24/06 06:11 PM

Maintaining Alloy Grey??

Hi!

Can anyone tell me how's its been like to maintain your alloy grey mustang?? Is it as bad as having black paint (where you'd see every little speck, dirt, waterdrop, swirl, etc.) that you'd have the urge to clean it every hour??

TIA

Sniper415 11/24/06 07:57 PM

I've had my G5 for a little over a month now and I wash it once a week for at least 3 hours---yeah, I take my time with her...cleaning EVERYTHING including the door jambs, trunk drainage channels, behind the license plates, engine compartment, etc...

Absolute labor of love...

It does show alot of residual water marks and dirt, but just not as bad as black.

Rapture 11/24/06 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by cookiemonster (Post 786828)
Hi!

Can anyone tell me how's its been like to maintain your alloy grey mustang?? Is it as bad as having black paint (where you'd see every little speck, dirt, waterdrop, swirl, etc.) that you'd have the urge to clean it every hour??

TIA

YES!

EdmStang 11/25/06 02:37 PM

Hi!

TIA
Pretty much. Still wouldn't change it for any other color though. :grin:

sound wave 11/25/06 05:11 PM

i dont think anything is as bad as black as far as maintaining. i think the metallic in the alloy does help to hide some stuff. still.... fingerprints and dust shows pretty easily.

also, when i use my windshield washer fluid, the water that gets on my hood will dry white, and that is real noticable. i carry an old t-shirt and detail spray in the trunk.

i close my driver door by pushing the key hole with my finger and i close the trunk the same way, so that helps with the smudges.

but man, i love the color. to me, it is worth it. besides, mine is not a daily driver, so that makes it easier for me to maintain.

Rapture 11/25/06 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by sound wave (Post 787238)
i dont think anything is as bad as black as far as maintaining. i think the metallic in the alloy does help to hide some stuff. still.... fingerprints and dust shows pretty easily.

also, when i use my windshield washer fluid, the water that gets on my hood will dry white, and that is real noticable. i carry an old t-shirt and detail spray in the trunk.

i close my driver door by pushing the key hole with my finger and i close the trunk the same way, so that helps with the smudges.

but man, i love the color. to me, it is worth it. besides, mine is not a daily driver, so that makes it easier for me to maintain.

YES! and birds like the color also:banghead:

stangmomasc 11/27/06 09:25 AM

I had a black Magnum before the Alloy Stang and the Alloy is alot easier to keep clean and to maintain it clean. Nothing is as bad as black...The metallic does hide some of the dirty look........

VVVROOM 11/27/06 08:20 PM

I used to own a black jetta, and I swore I would never own a dark colored car...and here I am today with an Alloy GT :doh:

I was concerned about keeping it clean, but this color was just irresistable to me. I keep some quick detailing spray in my truck, as well as a couple micro fiber towels. As long as the car isn't caked with mud, I can shine it up in less than 20 minutes. The water spots and dust come off easily, and I actually enjoy spending the time to shine it.

07ShelbyWanter 12/5/06 02:06 PM

someone lend me an Alloy, and i'll maintain both my car and yours for a few months.. :drool: i'll let ya know which ones tougher! :rofl2:

check out the sticky in the Car Care section.. rrobello has some good info in that post.

Entil'Zha 12/7/06 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by stangmomasc (Post 788051)
I had a black Magnum before the Alloy Stang and the Alloy is alot easier to keep clean and to maintain it clean. Nothing is as bad as black...The metallic does hide some of the dirty look........

I totally agree with stangmomasc, my black mustang was much harder to maintain than my new alloy one. When I was ordering my new car, my final, and toughest decision was between black, and alloy for the color. Having chosen the alloy, all I can say is WOW! It's such a beautiful color, even when it's a little dirty.

Mustangfreak 12/12/06 08:34 PM

I'm glad I chose Alloy over Black! My first Mustang was black, and lord it was hard to maintain. Plus it was already 18 years old so that was even more fun.

Now I'm over here in Japan with a black Supra.