Question for 07-09 GT500 owners...

Search this Thread

Old 11/23/11, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for 07-09 GT500 owners...

I've spent some internet time gathering information as to which car holds superiority in the never-ending terminator vs. GT500 battle. I know that the topic is as worn out as any, but I've never owned either and ever since I first saw an 07 GT500, i was instantly obsessed with the car. Unfortunately, over the past 5 years, I haven't quite reached the position to buy one(hopefully soon). I have a couple of friends who have owned terminators and they were hands down blown away by the car, but I never thought I would come across anything that I liked better than the GT500. (Body, interior, performance potential...etc.) However I'm still very curious as to whether I may be "overlooking" the Cobras.

I basically want a badass street car with a little refinement. Moderate upgrades, lots of power, not DD, rarely tracked.

Are there any GT500 owners that previously owned or at least have some experience driving 03/04 cobras?? I'd be curious to hear their opinion of which car they feel performs better.

Thanks for your input.
Old 12/9/11, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by ThreeOhToo
I've spent some internet time gathering information as to which car holds superiority in the never-ending terminator vs. GT500 battle. I know that the topic is as worn out as any, but I've never owned either and ever since I first saw an 07 GT500, i was instantly obsessed with the car. Unfortunately, over the past 5 years, I haven't quite reached the position to buy one(hopefully soon). I have a couple of friends who have owned terminators and they were hands down blown away by the car, but I never thought I would come across anything that I liked better than the GT500. (Body, interior, performance potential...etc.) However I'm still very curious as to whether I may be "overlooking" the Cobras.

I basically want a badass street car with a little refinement. Moderate upgrades, lots of power, not DD, rarely tracked.

Are there any GT500 owners that previously owned or at least have some experience driving 03/04 cobras?? I'd be curious to hear their opinion of which car they feel performs better.

Thanks for your input.
Hello,
I have a 2008 gt500, I have had a 2003 Term, and I have to say that the gt500 drives much better in my opinion than the 03.

Handling wise they are about the same, the braking on the gt500 is far better with the Brembo set up, and the transmission in the gt500 shifts smoother than the one in the 03.

Power wise they feel similar, I know the gt500 has allot more top end power then the 03 had, and the gt500 can blow the tires off in almost every gear,

For the money I think the gt500 is a much better car, with some simple mods, a tune and a gear change is can be a very nasty street car and with good enough mannerisms to be a DD.

I use mine as a DD and love it...

I hope this helps...
Old 12/9/11, 10:09 AM
Bullitt Member

I have both. Bone stock, they are both bottlenecked on power and fairly soft on the suspension and brakes. GT500 still a better platform to start with, and better in every aspect.
Old 12/11/11, 04:20 PM

Thanks. Good info. For me, the only thing I really look at as a negative of the GT500 is it just seems so big and heavy. I'm sure that's what adds to the ride quality though.
Old 12/12/11, 10:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks. Good info. For me, the only thing I really look at as a negative of the GT500 is it just seems so big and heavy. I'm sure that's what adds to the ride quality though.
On stock springs and shocks it will feel a little soft all around. Although I've run it on the road course bone stock and it gripped nicely, I like things firmer all around.

The FRPP springs/shocks really make a huge difference all around. Even the KR handling kit would be huge over bone stock. Simple mods make a big difference on these cars.
Old 9/16/12, 07:10 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for your input.
Well I'm partial to the GT500 - it seems stock they are pretty close in terms of acceleration but the GT500 is better overall on a road course.

When it comes to making power though the 5.4 in the GT500 has the edge, the only area that the termi motor has over the GT500 are the rods otherwise its a better blower and flow tract (from air filter to exhaust tips).

I've a buddy with a very midly modded terminator and I suck him up from a 2nd gear roll when he's pulling in 1st.
Old 11/3/12, 04:06 PM
Cobra R Member

I'd like to weigh in as an 03 Cobra owner looking at buying a 2007-09 GT500. For me the biggest reason why I'd want the GT500 is the much higher level of refinement. I love my Cobra but the overall build quality, especially the interior is pretty bad. My lightly modded Cobra is about equal in performance as a stock 2007-09 GT500... not hard to do with a terminator.

If you would like to modify both cars the Cobra has great potential being a lighter car and with aftermarket IRS mods (Kenny Brown) can make these Cobras handle better than first gen GT500s.

The GT500 is always going to have more power potential than the Cobra. I make about 460rwhp with my car with a chip, tune, cai, throttle body, catback exhaust. My best time is 11.33 in the 1/4, I never tracked the car. I do still get about 20mpg when I stay out of the boost.

I would agree with the others that the GT500 is the better overall value as 2003-04 Cobras have surprisingly high resale values. For 3-4k more you can get a car at least 3 years newer, more power and better build quality. I do think that the Cobra is a much rawer car if that is your thing. Some are turned off by the refinement, the 2011-12 GT500s for example are much more refined than the 2007-09 GT500. The first GT500s have that same improvement over the Cobra.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I'd love to sell you my Cobra so I can buy a GT500!