To Lower Or Not To Lower?

Search this Thread

Old 10/23/07, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To Lower Or Not To Lower?

I know many GT500 owners think the stock stance of the car is just great, but I'm not one of them. With 3.5 inches between the top of the rear tires and the wheel opening, mine looked like a wheel barrow.

I've installed H&R SS lowering springs for a 1.9 inch drop in the rear and about 1.4 in the front. An adjustable panhard bar was also installed. There were no problems encountered in aligning the wheels after the installs. I still have 5 inches under the front splitter and have no driveway clearance problems. I found even in stock form you always have to be thinking about front end clearance, so nothing has changed. The ride is certainly stiffer than before, but I don't find it objectionable. Overall handling is improved.

Here are before lowering and after lowering pics. You tell me which looks better .

Bob
Attached Thumbnails To Lower Or Not To Lower?-shelby-stance-001.jpg   To Lower Or Not To Lower?-shelby-stance-002.jpg  
Old 10/23/07, 01:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
The after pic of course. Does your car already have a bump steer kit on it?
Old 10/23/07, 02:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Looks great!
Old 10/23/07, 02:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Allegro
Here are before lowering and after lowering pics. You tell me which looks better .

Bob

Bob,

The lowered one, of course.

SVT is coming out with a complete suspension upgrade to the GT500 to lower 1.5" front and back by the springtime. Mine is just at 5.25" off the ground from the front air splitter; - and the back is, well, Ford's "Truck Height".

As long as it is 4" or more off the ground, I find it o.k. to drive.
Old 10/23/07, 07:08 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Originally Posted by Allegro
... With 3.5 inches between the top of the rear tires and the wheel opening, mine looked like a wheel barrow...
How can you tell what the car's stance is when you are driving it?

... The ride is certainly stiffer than before...
That can very possibly become a concern. The enthusiasm can fade away in the not too distant future unless the majority of driving is done at the track which is the logical purpose for a stiffer suspension. But don't take my word for it. Time and actual experience are the two factors which eventually prove the difference.

I approve of Ford's concept of balance. Their SEs and SVT products have proven their expertice time and time again. Aside from those points your GT500 looks excellent.
Old 10/23/07, 10:31 PM

How can you tell what the car's stance is when you are driving it?
By having my buddy drive while I stood on the curb and looked at it!

That can very possibly become a concern. The enthusiasm can fade away in the not too distant future unless the majority of driving is done at the track which is the logical purpose for a stiffer suspension. But don't take my word for it. Time and actual experience are the two factors which eventually prove the difference.
It's not that much stiffer. I've been driving it for over a month since the lowering and it's just fine. I've had other cars that were much stiffer than this.
I approve of Ford's concept of balance. Their SEs and SVT products have proven their expertice time and time again. Aside from those points your GT500 looks excellent.
I'm not sure if you're referring to esthetic balance or engineering balance. The appearance of the car is much improved with the lower stance. As far as engineering, the wheel hop has almost totally disappeared with the lowering and the handling is improved. It seems strange to me that Ford's expertise wouldn't have uncovered these things and addressed them so we wouldn't have to.

I always appreciate your posts and comments, George.

Bob
Old 10/24/07, 06:01 AM
Legacy TMS Member

does your car have a bump steer kit on it already?
Old 10/24/07, 08:50 AM
Cobra Member

Did you have to use caster camber plates to get it to align properly?

Roger
Old 10/24/07, 10:15 AM
Legacy TMS Member

just camber bolts was all I needed.
Old 10/24/07, 12:39 PM

Glenn: It does not have a bump steer kit installed.

Roger: There was no problem aligning without caster/camber plates.

Bob
Old 10/24/07, 12:55 PM
Cobra Member

Thanks Bob, I am going to do this when I get mine I was interested to find out. I appreciate it.

Roger
Old 10/25/07, 09:16 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is hard to tell how the stock stance is in the first pic because of the black paint/wells/tires. It does appear that your rides a little higher than mine. I love the stance of mine as is (stock). I think the second pic makes it look squashed or overloaded. Kinda like you have a trunk full of bricks. However, I think that of virtually all lowered cars. Just not my cup of tea. IF that is what you like, then go with what you like.

It also seems to take away the forward "rake" of the car. The rake is perfect IMO from the factory to give it that muscle car stance.
Old 10/26/07, 08:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by crazyhorse
It is hard to tell how the stock stance is in the first pic because of the black paint/wells/tires. It does appear that your rides a little higher than mine. I love the stance of mine as is (stock). I think the second pic makes it look squashed or overloaded. Kinda like you have a trunk full of bricks. However, I think that of virtually all lowered cars. Just not my cup of tea. IF that is what you like, then go with what you like.

It also seems to take away the forward "rake" of the car. The rake is perfect IMO from the factory to give it that muscle car stance.
The SVT Upgrade I spoke of earlier, they tell me, will maintain the stance of the car. Increasing the power in the car, now I can't keep it to the pavement.