GT 500 out in the cold on the dealer lot...

Search this Thread

Old 4/15/07, 05:29 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy GT 500 out in the cold on the dealer lot...

I spotted a Red/White striped GT500 on the local dealer lot, many suprises here...

#1. MAJOR suprise to me, they got one that wasn't ordered by someone. I think they have sold about 10 new mustangs in 2 years (small town dealer).
#2. The car was sitting outside under an overhang of the building. It had rained last night and the car was nasty dirty.
#3. There was no markup listed on the window sticker, just MSRP of $43K. Granted, that is not to say there wouldn't be a markup, just it is usually listed on the sticker from what I have seen in the past.
Old 4/15/07, 07:14 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by theedge67
I spotted a Red/White striped GT500 on the local dealer lot, many suprises here...

#1. MAJOR suprise to me, they got one that wasn't ordered by someone. I think they have sold about 10 new mustangs in 2 years (small town dealer).
#2. The car was sitting outside under an overhang of the building. It had rained last night and the car was nasty dirty.
#3. There was no markup listed on the window sticker, just MSRP of $43K. Granted, that is not to say there wouldn't be a markup, just it is usually listed on the sticker from what I have seen in the past.
1) I thought EVERY dealer was allocated at least one, but I could be wrong

2) It's just a $43K car. Have you looked at how much a fully-optioned F250 costs...it's north of $50K, and they probably have a crap-pot sitting out. So, while it may be surprising due to the "rarity" of the car, it's understandable. Plus, they may be doing it to promote business.

Now, this was surprising to me: I was in Palm Beach, and at the Porsche dealership, there was a $215,000 GT2 sitting out, as well as a used GT2, quite a few $100K Cayennes, and quite a few Carerras (some turbo). All of these were out in the parking lot.

All this, and just next door was a IHOP. Now that was surprising to see.

3) Maybe they aren't trying to get a mark-up for it, but I doubt it. More than likely they just don't have it posted. It's probably an "inquire within" deal.
Old 4/15/07, 08:02 PM

You could post the dealer name and number for those looking for a GT500 especially if theres no markup. Think of the rest of us man.
Old 4/15/07, 08:05 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I believe the Dealer had to be an SVT dealer and meet a criteria as well ? to even order a Shelby unless they bought from else where.
Old 4/15/07, 08:09 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by GottaHaveIt
I believe the Dealer had to be an SVT dealer and meet a criteria as well ? to even order a Shelby unless they bought from else where.
That was the thing that make these cars so much "less rare" than SVT's: any dealer could get them...you didn't need to be an SVT dealer to receive one.

Honestly, I'm surprised that with them making 10,000 a year (supposedly), that they are demanding such a premium.

When you think about it, that's A LOT of vehicles (no pun intended) compared to other special edition stangs. For example, 01 bullitts, 00 cobra r's, 03 10th anny cobras. Those didn't bring the ADM that these are. I guess it's the Shelby name

But, prices ARE starting to come down on ebay.
Old 4/15/07, 09:30 PM
FR500 Member

Aww, the poor thing! Anyone want to "adopt it" and give it a good home? There must be a reason it hasn't been sold yet, my guess? Could be the "adoption fee" the dealer is asking.
Old 4/16/07, 01:59 AM
Team Mustang Source

I don't know, I'm on the midnight shift now so I can't really go by and ask the salesmen what the markup is. Not that I really care anyway, I don't have $1K sitting around let alone $40-70K!! If anyone is interested though, it is at West Brothers Ford in Sullivan MO, 63080.
Old 4/16/07, 07:21 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

43K? I'll take it... 43K and a penny- no way. I refuse to pay one cent over MSRP for anything. MSRP is a mark up in and of itself. Well... maybe a penny... lol .
Old 4/16/07, 10:55 AM

Heh, that's funny. I stopped and looked at that red Shelby last night too, it had been on the lot since the 11th according to the dealer inventory sticker. Even snapped a few pics on camera phone. There is a white one in St. James, MO that was listed on ebay. It was close to $55000 with no reserve last week.
Old 4/16/07, 04:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

UPDATE!! This car has been sold. I just spoke to guy named Chuck at this dealership and he explained the had sold it earlier in the week to another dealer in another state. He was amazed he got a call from the dealer and they gave him $11k over sticker. he has another one due in within 2 weeks...a black one...and the other dealer has offered him the same price for that. He said he will probably sell it to him to. He was amazed at the mark up and said whoever was paying that much was nuts. I have to tell you that the guy seemed like a pretty good guy. He was a smaller dealer and had no idea these things were commanding thes ADM's but said how could he turn it down? Anyway, he thought the sad ting was what it was going to do to the average guy who cant buy these and how it would reflect on Ford. First car sales person I have heard who sounded like an average Joe and wasnt trying to Ebay and rape loyal customers.
Old 4/16/07, 06:45 PM
Team Mustang Source

Interesting! Sounds like if someone would have beat the other dealer to the punch they could have gotten a deal!!
Old 4/16/07, 07:36 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Webba
UPDATE!! This car has been sold. I just spoke to guy named Chuck at this dealership and he explained the had sold it earlier in the week to another dealer in another state. He was amazed he got a call from the dealer and they gave him $11k over sticker. he has another one due in within 2 weeks...a black one...and the other dealer has offered him the same price for that. He said he will probably sell it to him to. He was amazed at the mark up and said whoever was paying that much was nuts. I have to tell you that the guy seemed like a pretty good guy. He was a smaller dealer and had no idea these things were commanding thes ADM's but said how could he turn it down? Anyway, he thought the sad ting was what it was going to do to the average guy who cant buy these and how it would reflect on Ford. First car sales person I have heard who sounded like an average Joe and wasnt trying to Ebay and rape loyal customers.
Go back and try to deal with him. He may be willing to sell to a customer if there is a chance they will service it there and buy future cars from them. That is how I got my MSRP deal.
Old 4/16/07, 07:56 PM
Team Mustang Source

Nah, $11K pure profit or the chance of selling another car 5 years down the road....I'd take the profit!! I mean, even if he sells you 3 more cars in 5 years they probably wouldn't make $11K profit total! And service is again a risk, never know how much they might see.
Old 4/16/07, 09:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

ok which member here did it ? you just felt compelled to pay Way Over & above ? Thanks loads lol
Old 4/16/07, 10:02 PM
Team Mustang Source

2007 Shelby GT500 2dr Convertible
Vista Blue Clearcoat Charcoal Black/Charcoal Black w/Leather Sport Bucket Seats
2007 Shelby GT500 2dr Convertible - Base 2dr ConvertibleDate: April 12, 2007

†Base MSRP$56,399
Selected Equipment
  • Touch Screen DVD Based Navigation System
$2,300
  • Charcoal Black/Charcoal Black w/Leather Sport Bucket Seats
$0
  • Vista Blue Clearcoat
$0
  • Performance White Tape Stripe
$0♦Selected Accessories
  • Mirrors, Electrochromic Compass
$347Standard Equipment
  • 5.4L V-8 DOHC w/SMPI 500hp
  • 6 speed w/OD
  • 4-wheel ABS
  • Traction control
  • P255/45R18 BSW performance Z-rated tires
  • 285/40 rear tires
  • Battery with run down protection
  • Sport suspension
  • Air conditioning
  • Shaker 500 AM/FM 6-disc CD, MP3 capability, SIRIUS satellite radio
  • Dual power remote mirrors
  • Variable intermittent wipers
  • Machined aluminum wheels
  • Dual front airbags
  • Driver & front passenger seat mounted side airbags
  • Airbag occupancy sensor
  • SecuriLock ignition disable
  • Rear window defogger
  • Tachometer
  • Message centre
  • Reclining front sports seats
  • Rear bench seat
A/C Excise Tax$100Destination and Delivery$1,250 TOTAL MSRP$60,396Delivery Allowance$0 *Total MSRP less
Delivery Allowance$60,396*Dealers may sell or lease for less. Accessory price excludes dealer installation. Not including applicable taxes, registration or license fees, pre-delivery and administrative charges. See your local dealer for details.†Not including available options, accessories, destination and delivery charges, applicable taxes (including air tax), registration or license fees, pre-delivery and administrative charges.
Old 4/17/07, 06:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

Id love to try and but it from him but Im in Maine and he is in Missouri so he isnt going to get my service or repeat business. My local dealer would have but he is greedy. Regardless the guy I spoke to was very nice and seemed genuinely concerned these things werent going to the average guy.