2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Wood grain trim???

Search this Thread

Old 2/17/11, 10:35 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I think a dark gray burlwood would look good with the Lava/Charcoal interior. Subtle, but give it that pop and not be typical carbon fiber.
Old 2/17/11, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SD CALSPCL
Here is a better photo. Hope this helps with your decision. As was pointed out by other posters, this isn't for everyone.
It looks great! Previously I wouldn't have consided applying woodgrain to my car, but I'm definitely going to look into it after seeing this photo. I think it could look especially good with the saddle interior, which is what I intend to get.
Old 2/17/11, 04:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am a fan of the wood grain. It reminds me of the '60s Mustangs. When I get my 2011/2012, I would love to add the wood grain like in the CS above.

I still haven't seen a good pic of the Lava 'Stang. Does anyone have a pic of that color on a Mustang yet? It sounds like it would be perfect for the Rosewood trim.
Old 2/18/11, 01:30 AM
Cobra R Member

i rem a lot of mustang II with wood grain interiors...

Old 2/18/11, 02:00 AM
Bullitt Member

I like some of those pics. That darker one is great. That is a nice color combo. Something updated along those lines could be good. Wood trim used to be done much more than it is. I was thinking that since the Mustang is very retro as compared to other cars, wood grain might really work. I am getting excited about this. I am going to get a kit with real type of dark wood, and I think it might look great. Either way it is worth a try.

Last edited by Itravelalot; 2/18/11 at 02:02 AM.
Old 2/18/11, 11:29 PM
Bullitt Member

You know what, I was thinking... I remember the older cars having a certain luxury that new ones just do not. Granted the fake wood trim looks bad now, but the carpet was thicker, the doors had soft padded materials, and the dash was often padded, too. All of that came together to really make it feel very comfortable. I had a 2 different Ford LTDs (70s models) growing up, and oh they were comfortable. Call it new and neat looking, but hard plastic and other cold materials just make it feel too cold for me. I think that some color wood will make the car feel warmer. I think that someday, I might even want to change the carpet out for slightly longer, higher quality carpet that is as soft as I remember that the LTDs had. I do not want to put a dash cover on though, because that would be going too far. If I think through it enough, I might be able to figure out something to do with the doors. They used to have carpet along the bottom, with the rest being either leather with wood, or vinyl with fake wood trim. I do not know that I would go so far as to put carpet, leather and wood trim along the doors, but there has to be something I can do. I definately do not want to go so retro that I would actually drive an LTD or a Galaxy around now, or make my mustang into a sporty version of one, but there has to be something I can do to warm it up and get rid of some of the hard plastic and short stiff carpet.

Maybe I am crazy, but I will not stop until it looks like a wonderful mix of new and retro. When I finish, it will look and feel amazing. I will post pics when I get my car. First thing is the wood trim.

Last edited by Itravelalot; 2/18/11 at 11:32 PM.
Old 2/21/11, 03:50 PM
Bullitt Member

I think a modern interpretation would lend well to using Ash Burl (DA) though not real wood.
Old 2/21/11, 04:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Itravelalot
You know what, I was thinking... I remember the older cars having a certain luxury that new ones just do not.
I have talked about this before; unfortunately we tend to remember the good and forget the bad. A lot of the changes are a combination of weight savings, cost savings and safety considerations.
Old 2/21/11, 08:43 PM
Bullitt Member

I certainly do like the greatly improved reliability and technology, but the older cars did have their good points. Hard plastic vs other materials should not just be some old vs new thing in every case. Since there is so much hard plastic in the interior, I would not mind getting rid of some. While new cars are superior to old in most aspects, old clearly can serve as a great inspiration for the new designs. I am certainly not an expert on design, but I also am trying to think of ways to dress up the hard plastic on the doors and in the back seat. It will take some bit of doing, but I do not accept that. A car that costs this much should just stay with as much plastic as it does stock. It can and should be modded using older cars as reference points.
Old 2/21/11, 09:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Wood is out caron fiber or brushed steel is in especially on these cars!
Old 2/21/11, 09:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You guys are hilarious. All that brushed aluminum is just stuck on top of plastic. It is just as fake as the real wood stuck on plastic.

Hey if you like the warmth and look of wood go for it. I personally don't care for the look of aluminum or chrome on the inside of my car. I like the stick on real carbon but it is no more or less a stick on than wood or aluminum.
Old 2/22/11, 12:59 AM

Whatever you do, just don't get the woodgrain stickers

I like woodgrain and I think it would look nice if done right and not too much

I wouldn't a steering wheel with wood though. That feeling is just awesome.. plastic and leather can't match
Old 2/22/11, 02:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Even though my car will not arrive for who knows how long, I ordered some wood for the dash and trim. It is real wood and not just a fake sticker. I figured sticking real wood over the plastic is not all that much different than a veneer over particle board. It is getting ever more rare to find good quality furniture that is not a veneer. It has less risk of warping, I think, than a really thick piece of solid wood. I am trying Japanese Cherry, but if that does not work, I will try a dark Burl or Mahogany. I am going to eyeball it and see which pieces to put on and which to not. Next step is to figure out something to spruce up the doors and maybe the sides of the back seat area. That might take a while. I really want the car different, well designed, tasteful, a little retro, a little modern, and warm. If wood does not work, I will go with Carbon fiber, but I cannot see myself going with metal even if it is the coolest thing since sliced bread. It is just to cold and mechanical looking. It is going to be a while before I get the car, but when I do I will post pics of how the wood looks. If anyone has different ideas on how to do the doors or anything else that might make it look nice, but comfortable and warm, please share.
Old 2/22/11, 11:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Okay, I have a good idea for the doors and the sides of the backseat. It has been done plenty in older cars. I had been thinking of leather doors, but now I really think I should try it. Take a look at this Mach 1:

https://themustangsource.com/gallery...2963&catid=136

It has nice padded leather on the doors. If I use a small amount of wood trim here and there, the new black leather I could put on would potentially go very well with the Lava Red leather in the insert. It would not be to busy, and I think it just might work. I just have to find the right leather. I have apholstered some, but never used molded leather. You are supposed to just soak it in water for a while then tie it around a form. The only problem is the form. I could tie it around the black plastic, but drying leather can pull so tight it can easily break the plastic. I could just mold folds into the leather around the door insert and skip the rest, or I could get a leather soft enough to just pull tight without molding and maybe use some seams. I think with some basic molding of a few select areas I could avoid having to stitch anything just using solid pieces.

If anyone has any ideas or opinions feel free to share. I am really serious about getting rid of some of the black plastic.
Old 2/22/11, 11:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by OAC_Sparky
Not a fan of wood trim unless it's in a heritage car like a Jag or a Bentley. Not even a fan of the fake burl wood that comes stock in some of Ford's products.

But hey, it's what makes you happy, if it's what you like more power to you.
Agreed on this, doesn't look right unless it's a $200k luxobarge.
Old 3/7/11, 07:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Here is a bad photoshop of something I am thinking about.

Old 3/7/11, 10:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow! You could change my mind if you pull that off, it looks amazing.
Old 3/7/11, 11:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I really suggest doing that exact combo, but in Charcoal Gray Burlwood. It would pair with Lava Red so much nicer...
Old 3/7/11, 11:11 PM
Bullitt Member

This isn't exactly gray Burl wood, but it should give some idea. I personally am fond of the deep rich red tones, but this could be nice, too.
Old 3/7/11, 11:31 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Itravelalot

This isn't exactly gray Burl wood, but it should give some idea. I personally am fond of the deep rich red tones, but this could be nice, too.
Don't like that at all, the red burl wood is lots better.

I like the real rose wood the best though.

Quick Reply: Wood grain trim???