The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2010-2014 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/)
-   -   Wipers down, THEN open hood. (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/wipers-down-then-open-hood-495954/)

JPJr 5/30/11 06:51 PM

Wipers down, THEN open hood.

Can't believe I did this.
Started to open my hood...oh cr@p. Forgot to put one of the wipers down!
Nice gouge out of my Kona blue paint for my stupidity.
Not big, but i can see it everytime I'm behind the wheel.

bones302 5/30/11 07:09 PM

well at least you won't do it again.

don't know how bad the gouge is, bu you can try Dr. color chip.

JPJr 5/30/11 07:49 PM

I'm getting the top of the hood bump painted flat black in a few weeks, so I'll ask them to touch up this spot while they have it in there.
It's just that I'm so anal about getting a door ding, scratch, then I go and do this.

MRGTX 5/30/11 07:57 PM

Ugh... I'm sure nobody will notice, especially with how this paint accumulates dust and debris...but I know how you feel.

I fumbled a wrench once and chipped the fender on my evolution orange Miata while installing the roll bar...it was a tiny blemish but I never forgave myself.

montreal ponies 5/30/11 07:59 PM

And let me guess......it had to be the drivers side wiper right !
I know how you feel, i'm the same type. I'm sure you can build up a few coats of paint on the chip and then just wet sand it with 2000 grit paper and buff it out.

MadGT 5/30/11 08:02 PM

Ha! Been there done that..you'll get used to it... :)

ZackeryJc 5/30/11 09:04 PM

Ugh I did the same dam thing about 2 months ago and it still makes me sick to see it... Now ima finding rock chips on my hood and front bumper!! Time to take it in for an paint check up lol

GTCS 2k9 5/30/11 09:14 PM

Me too. At first I was sick to my stomach for being so careless. The original impact of the mishap does fade.....somewhat. Now I never leave the wipers up. When I wash or wipe the glass I lift the wiper and let it back down right away. You learn from your mistakes.

2012GT 5/30/11 09:22 PM

I Know the feeling: My first scratch was the first week I had the car from a neighborhood cat climbing on the trunk...BTW that neighborhood cat is missing :tomcat: :grin::grin::grin:

JPJr 5/31/11 06:38 AM

Thanks, guys.
This one's not the first chip on the front, but it hurts the most because I did it. And yes, it's the drivers side one, so I can look at it whenever I drive.

GTCS 2k9...that's going to be my new routine.
The wipers will go up to dry or clean the glass, but right back down again.

2012GT...don't get me started on cats.
On my previous car, a GTI, a cat must have snuck into the garage before I closed the door for the night. When I went to leave the next morning, the cat jumped off the roof and ran out.
He didn't just spend the night up there, he peed up there, too. All down the roof and back window.
Dang cats.

Silverback 5/31/11 06:50 AM

Guilty! It's one of those "OMG! throw something" moments. I have the nice reminder on every ride.

Now you're in the club!

IguanaKeepr 5/31/11 12:41 PM

I know how you feel. My garage has more stuff than usual and it's a little tight right now. I pulled in the garage a little too far last week and got out to check how close I was to my bike and the clutch was resting on the hood. I was so upset not because it happened but because I did it. The car has just over 600 miles and still running with a temporary plate. Really?

UGH! I don't think it's / really hope it isn't dented. The bike never moved when I backed up but I have a clear bra installed and it was rippled slightly with a couple of small indentions. Installer said to give it week and it will probably work itself out. So I'm waiting...:panic:

nycuser 5/31/11 03:40 PM

Dont feel bad. I only have the car for a week. I have a scratch parking when i bump into the car in the back. Another one when i open the door and touch the tree. I also have curb rash on my passenger side wheel. All in one week...grrrrrrr

BlackLead 5/31/11 07:18 PM

Are there dues for this club? Because I did the exact same things as the OP, on the first weekend I got my car, when I was giving it it's inaugural cleaning. Thankfully, no chip, but it scared me good. Won't be doing that again!

manashttu 5/31/11 09:07 PM

I'm sorry for you---but you made me feel better about having done the exact mistake detailing my car a few months back. I was sick to my stomach. Thankfully, touch-up paint and a little aggressive rubbing obscured it pretty well.

JPJr 6/1/11 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by manashttu (Post 6083542)
you made me feel better about having done the exact mistake detailing my car a few months back. .

That's why we're all here. :grouphug:

First Stang 6/1/11 06:22 AM

curb rashed my Brembo wheels! ugh!

hahnsolo78 6/1/11 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by First Stang
curb rashed my Brembo wheels! ugh!

I did the same thing a week after taking delivery, first thing I said was " I'm an idiot" about 400 later and it as good as new