2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Why is the MT-82 so hard to get into gear/notchy?

Search this Thread

Old 4/22/14, 02:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Bocefus
Dumb question. I have the Barton 2 post shift bracket and I want to get a mgw shifter, are the 2 compatible ?
My question would be why wouldn't you just replace the whole unit.

Check out this thread for an in depth on the MGW unit.
Old 4/22/14, 02:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by narphenal
My question would be why wouldn't you just replace the whole unit. Check out this thread for an in depth on the MGW unit.
thanks! I was just watching an install vid and answered my own question. Very impressed with the whole kit. I'll be ordering one soon.
Old 4/22/14, 02:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a heads up... It took about a month to have mine made.
Old 4/22/14, 02:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Why so long

Last edited by Bocefus; 4/22/14 at 02:53 PM.
Old 4/22/14, 02:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Last1
4 weeks ! Lol. Thx for that. Guess I should order it this week since I am the impatient type. After watching the mgw install vid I think I can install it with a friend. Not sure if I want to though.
Old 4/22/14, 03:02 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think it depends where in a cycle they are. I got mine in like a week.
Old 4/22/14, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by lsxjunkie
I've had 2 GTOs with T-56s. One with a Lou's Short stick on the stock shifer, one with a GMM with the Hurst Stick Adaptor, which was like a well oiled Remington 700 bolt. I can bang the everloving **** out of my MT-82's gears at redline.

My shifter is stock with a 15 dollar Prothane rear bushing and a Barton adaptor and ****, which made quite a bit of difference over the stock ****. A lot of people pull the shifter laterally as well as longitudinally between 1 and 2. Between 2 and 3, a lot of people give the shifter a 45* shove towards the far right corner of the shifter and let the gate catch it and guide it into gear. That's how I used to treat my GMM. If you pull straight back between 1 and 2, she'll go right in. If you push straight up with an open palm between 2 and 3, the centering spring will pull the shifter into the 3rd gear gate and, again, it'll go right in. The shifter definitely binds up on me if I try to muscle it and yank it back and towards me between 1 and 2, which I have done before trying to drive the car in anger.

The Barton **** is lighter than stock and sits higher up. I'm not crazy about the feel with the lighter ****, but I do think it's changed my shifting manners in a way that gets the most out of this trans.
I agree with the second paragraph by lsxjunkie about the method he uses in paragraph two. I have the factory shift set up and it works better using his method.
Old 4/22/14, 04:26 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,749 Likes on 1,240 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelman
I think it depends where in a cycle they are. I got mine in like a week.
That's exactly it.
They do it the smart way. Build/make a certain amount, wait till they sell out and make another batch, almost a build to order, but not quite. I had to wait for mine as well, which didn't bother me.
Old 4/22/14, 04:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Bocefus
Why so long
It just depends where they are at in production; they produce in batches. Just call them up and see how far out they are. They are extremely helpful.
Old 4/22/14, 05:34 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
I have to agree. I also realized that a "driver mod" is required with this shifter. The key to pull good shifts here in my opinion is:
1) Clutch all the way to the floor
2) Deliberate and precise vertical movements
3) Not using a lot of force, rather "guiding" it into gear

Banging it at 45 degrees from 2nd to 3rd is certainly a good way to get hung up.
I agree with this. People get very defensive when you tell them how to drive, but I've never driven a car with such a "needy" transmission. You have to really pin the clutch pedal to the floor and then shift when accelerating hard. A nice one-two motion.
Old 4/22/14, 05:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I didn't drive mine hard very often, and frankly, that was one of the reasons. That 1-2 got me every time. :-(
Old 4/22/14, 07:05 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
That's the same amount of time it takes to make a Hattori Hanzo sword. Coincidence? I think not.

Guess I got lucky. My completely stock shifter shifts beautifully. Haven't really felt the need to upgrade. I may do it someday just to see what all the hype is about.
Old 4/22/14, 07:09 PM
GT Member

MGW and the whiteline bushing really firmed my shifting up.....I also removed the helper spring, but I'm not sure if that really did much in my situation. Definitely feels like a different car with the MGW.

As far as the wait, I just went into it knowing I was going to place my order and it would show up when it showed up! I think it ended up being a few weeks. I'm not sure why waiting steers some folks away from it.
Old 4/22/14, 08:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Thomas S
That's the same amount of time it takes to make a Hattori Hanzo sword. Coincidence? I think not.
Haha

The waiting didn't bother me... Just giving the heads up on possible production time. I'll wait for a hand-made shifter for as long as it takes.

My 2014 stock shifter seemed fine too, until I drove it after the MGW. It really is everything people say it is. Also, you really have to see what a flimsy, cheap, junky unit that OEM shifter really is after it's removed.
Old 4/23/14, 04:35 AM
GT Member

I got to thinking about getting a MGW, and then our transmission decided to totally eat the 6th gear synchro on the transmission under very normal driving conditions. The thought then occurred to me was: How hard would it be for Ford to say that it was caused by an aftermarket shifter?

I know it is less likely to be caused by the MGW or just about any shifter other than the stock, but in tracing the problem down I would just be afraid of the warranty on the transmission being denied because the synchro death is blamed on the new part.

I am guessing that the failure with our MT-82 is just one of those random possibilities when you have so many parts that it just takes one thing to be slightly off or machined wrong to cause it to fail. I also believe that the shifter (even our stocker) probably did not cause the failure. I believe the problem with our transmission was an internal defect, as 6th gear is a gear that only sees use under very light load and cruising on the highway (which means the shifts into it, where the synchro is in the mix, are very normal, light, and easy shifts); and the gear itself was fine. I would just dread to see the repair bill, because they decide to blame a shifter for the failure; as I am being told they will have our car down and out of service for a week or more while they tear apart the transmission and diagnose the failure and then order the parts. I know a lot of that is down time waiting for parts etc, but that also includes the time we have a rental car that is being paid for by Ford.

With that off my chest, I really do want a MGW shifter anyway; I am just paranoid.

Last edited by Azrael; 4/23/14 at 04:40 AM.
Old 4/23/14, 04:43 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Buy the shifter and if you have any further tranny issues while under warranty, which isn't likely, temporarily put the OEM one back in.
Old 4/23/14, 04:50 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by wheelman
Buy the shifter and if you have any further tranny issues while under warranty, which isn't likely, temporarily put the OEM one back in.
Yeah, true, my comment was more toward the failure leaving you on the side of the highway and Roadside picking you up. Which of course I did not specify and it wasn't applicable in our case as our car was still drive-able.

Will have to keep the stock shifter around just for that onerous possibility.

Sorry, I am just rambling out random thoughts...
Old 4/23/14, 07:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Azrael
How hard would it be for Ford to say that it was caused by an aftermarket shifter?
It's easy. They tell you your shifter caused the issue and that's it. If you want to dispute it you have to hire a lawyer. They do the same thing with tunes. Good luck
Old 4/23/14, 06:00 PM
GT Member

Just to follow up my previous post, the SR stainless steel braided clutch line and Whiteline mount are on the car. I already had an MGW. The trans has never shifted better, but the NVH from the Whiteline bushing is comically bad. May look into modifying it.
Old 4/23/14, 07:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jmaStang
Just to follow up my previous post, the SR stainless steel braided clutch line and Whiteline mount are on the car. I already had an MGW. The trans has never shifted better, but the NVH from the Whiteline bushing is comically bad. May look into modifying it.
What kind of NVH are you referring to?

Quick Reply: Why is the MT-82 so hard to get into gear/notchy?