Sponsored By:

Who put #$@%# rocks on the highway!?

Search this Thread

Old 6/21/12, 07:20 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who put #$@%# rocks on the highway!?

I'm about to blow up.

So I'm driving home in pretty dense but zippy traffic, minding my own business, when I see the cars in front of me swerving and braking in all lanes.
Some $#@% ******* lost a freaking huge concrete plate, or more likely one of the construction vehicles either left something behind or tore up a piece of the road.
So there are larger-than-brick sized pieces of rocks all over the road. Cars are getting hit bad. Several pulling over with flat tires and bent rims.
I tried to slow down and avoid as much as I could but one piece managed to scrape the belly of my Mustang. It was f---in loud!

Certainly visible damage. I actually took the next exit and drove to the nearest precinct, where they gave me the address of the state thruways police precinct.
The cop said if I report it I may get reimbursed but it's gonna take like a year.
On my way there I changed my mind.
At least I'm not sure I should go and file a report. Here is how I'm thinking, please tell me if I'm wrong: if I file a police report, that will automatically end up in carfax, right? Plus, my insurance company will try to rape me, as in their eyes it's a claim no matter whose fault. What do you guys think?

And a couple more questions in case somebody knows the answer:
-Based on these photos, is this just cosmetic damage? The frame itself seems fine, nothing is leaking. Except that piece of metal that's hanging off below the screw, although I don't think it has any mechanical function.
-Should I repair it? It breaks my heart but these things happen and will continue to happen, that's just New York.
-Should I worry about corrosion because the black protection got scraped off? How would I go about repairing that by myself?
-Is there anything I can do to clean it up and make it look pretty?

Who put #$@%# rocks on the highway!?-img_3022.jpg

Who put #$@%# rocks on the highway!?-img_3023.jpg

Who put #$@%# rocks on the highway!?-img_3024.jpg
Old 6/21/12, 07:25 PM
GTR Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Ouch.
Old 6/21/12, 07:32 PM

****, I was pissed when i saw a mattress shred to pieces in the middle of the highway and flying like a snowstorm.. but rocks...

I hope it's all just cosmetic damage. Good luck
Old 6/21/12, 07:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
from the looks, its mostly cosmetic. As much as it is painful to do to a new car, get a can of decent spraypaint, and put a number of coats on the damaged areas to provide rust protection.

That sucks, I'd still take the time to file and wait anyways.
Old 6/21/12, 08:12 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The heat buckled the LIE and pieces of the roadway started popping up, what exit were u near?
Old 6/21/12, 08:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by cinque35
The heat buckled the LIE and pieces of the roadway started popping up, what exit were u near?
Wow sorry to see and hear. Looks to be more cosmetic and you should be happy its under and not on top or worst yet have come through the windshield. I hate the LIE and try to avoid when I can.
Old 6/21/12, 09:34 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by CaptDistraction
from the looks, its mostly cosmetic. As much as it is painful to do to a new car, get a can of decent spraypaint, and put a number of coats on the damaged areas to provide rust protection.

That sucks, I'd still take the time to file and wait anyways.
Yup, I'd get a can of black paint and hit all the areas that have bare metal showing.

The plastic stuff won't matter much other than looking bad.
Old 6/22/12, 07:58 AM
GT Member

Thanks guys.. it was actually I-95 south at Exit 14. Just north of the Bronx.

Any recommended anti rust paint/treatment product that comes in a can?
Old 6/22/12, 08:01 AM

Omg, not cool! Came close to the fuel line
Old 6/22/12, 08:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

well that just sucks.

I would paint the bare metal surface. looks cosmetic only, but i would throw it up on a lift to be certain.
Old 6/22/12, 08:41 AM
Cobra R Member

just spray some black primer first, then can of undercoating over it, should be fine
Old 6/22/12, 10:33 AM
Team Mustang Source

I feel your pain. I dodge rocks every morning, so far I have not hit one. I drive a mountain road to work and rocks fall all the time. Come around a curve and there is a big pile of rocks and boulders. Especially after a rain or melting snow. I think they carry them back up because I would think that everything that's going to fall would be down by now.
Old 6/22/12, 11:18 AM
GT Member

I had a rock get thrown into my truck windshield, almost went thru, it was considered comprehensive and not collision, so no claim filed against me, just paid comp deductible to have it fixed. Things like that are considered an act of God or such. Depends how much your deductible is, if it is worth fixing. Sucks though, glad you were not hurt.

MikeD73USA
Old 6/22/12, 11:22 PM
Cobra R Member

I second just getting some paint over it.

Your not alone...
I had an ahole run me onto a median not too long ago. I went over it until about under the front tires. I basically ran aground, the sound was horrrific. I needed some serious gas to break free and back off of it. I need to get under there and check it out. No leaks or uneven steering tho. Hoping just cosmetic on the Kmember?!

Where on LI are you guys?!?
Old 6/23/12, 02:54 AM
Bullitt Member

i was thinking little rocks... this was like boulders lol, someone put them out there on purpose? youths!!!

make sure none of the fuel lines , brake lines or electrical wires were damaged, and check rear caliper sensor wires and lines cuz i know on the back they hand there a bit.

i think the fuel tank is in the center under the rear seats of the car, hopefully they didn't hit that cuz i think its plastic?
Old 6/23/12, 07:21 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 2012GTCS
Where on LI are you guys?!?
Nassau county, Garden City area
Old 6/23/12, 01:44 PM
Cobra R Member

f'dale/bethpage
Old 6/24/12, 09:05 AM
GT Member

Mine got hit by a rock that fell out of the back of a gravel truck on the way home from work Friday. There goes $400 worth of mod money

Old 6/24/12, 10:17 AM
GTR Member

If its any consolation, I took a nice sized rock to the windshield and need a repair. What's bad is that is about 1.25" in diameter, so they can repair it but it's really noticeable.
Old 6/24/12, 04:01 PM
Bullitt Member

I had my car for about a week and got a f$?&ing rock thrown up from out of nowhere while i was merging onto the highway its about the size of a dime so nothing crazy, but directly in my line of sight when driving aka ANNOYING.

Quick Reply: Who put #$@%# rocks on the highway!?