Route B
67.35%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 7/16/10, 04:36 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 3-4 month wait times were for those who ordered early on, current wait times are going to be as the would be normally, 6-8 weeks.

You can always look around some more for to see if there is a car already out there, the dealer can even do that for you.
Old 7/16/10, 05:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know I don't look up when driving. Have had sun roofs and didn't like them.
Some on here like Joker seem to love the glass roof.
I'd like to hear from some that have then as to what is the big deal about then. Glass roof sounds cool when you read about it, but how does it enhance the experience?........and it does add a little top weight.
Old 7/16/10, 10:36 PM
Cobra R Member

Go with A. I've read that the glass roof is extra weight, up high exactly where you don't want it.
Old 7/16/10, 11:03 PM
GT Member

If it's possible to get exactly what you want, get exactly what you want. The wait should be worth it
Old 7/16/10, 11:04 PM
Cobra R Member

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB

no mustang should have a backup camera...unless it's a mustang II ;-)-

and no wingy dingy... extra weight do nothing thingy

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB
Old 7/16/10, 11:41 PM

I would order what you want, it is always nice to know it is exactly the way you want it. I do believe the long waits are over, but I would not expect 6 - 8 weeks either. Probably more like 8 - 12 (depending on the dealer).
Old 7/17/10, 10:21 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Why wait when the Ford dealers lots are filling with 2011's.

I love my reverse camera, plus! it comes with the best (in my opinion LOL!!!) looking spoiler i have ever seen on a Mustang.
Old 7/17/10, 11:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

Glass roof is expensive and adds around 70-80 lbs to the TOP OF THE CAR.
Worst possible place for a performance car. Dilutes handling, braking, and acceleration.
$2k for that?

Pass, go Route A if you are buying a performance car for the performance aspect and don't mind spending a bit more for a few options you don't need.
If you are in no hurry, order the car (it'll be more like 7-9 weeks for delivery) and get everything you want, but still avoid the glass roof if performance is higher up on the list than having sun shine down on your head.
Old 7/17/10, 02:33 PM
GT Member

I am also curious as to the 'big deal' of the glass roof...no dealerships ever order these for stock so I can't find one to test drive...sigh.
Old 7/18/10, 07:30 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
70-80 lbs? Where's that figure from? Every single mention I've read of the weight puts it at 24-28 lbs.

I'd recommend test driving one with a glass top. If you don't find it more enjoyable, save the money and skip it. As others have said, if performance is of paramount importance, skip it. Then again, if it's all about performance and luxury is to be eschewed, you shouldn't be getting the Premium package, either. The extra gauges, speakers, etc. most likely add weight, too.

I love my glass roof. If you've driven one and don't see the appeal there's no point trying to explain it. There's no practical benefit, it just makes the drive more enjoyable.
Old 7/18/10, 08:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by RandyW
70-80 lbs? Where's that figure from? Every single mention I've read of the weight puts it at 24-28 lbs.

I'd recommend test driving one with a glass top. If you don't find it more enjoyable, save the money and skip it. As others have said, if performance is of paramount importance, skip it. Then again, if it's all about performance and luxury is to be eschewed, you shouldn't be getting the Premium package, either. The extra gauges, speakers, etc. most likely add weight, too.

I love my glass roof. If you've driven one and don't see the appeal there's no point trying to explain it. There's no practical benefit, it just makes the drive more enjoyable.
Most sunroofs of "average" size add about 40-45 lbs in weight.
Glass roofs of the size the 2011 GT has got to be around 70-80 lbs.
It was an estimate, but an educated estimate based on past experience of sunroof weight and also one of the car mags said the 2011 GT they tested with the Glass sunroof was 80 lbs heavier than the previous one they tested that did not have the glass sunroof.
The mag also stated the heavier car had the Brembo brake package and (I think) mistaken commented that part of that 80 lbs may be due to the larger Brembo brakes. But what they clearly didn't know and the reason I say they are wrong is the Brembo brakes probably do weigh a few lbs heavier each than the standard brakes, but the Brembo brake package wheels are 2 lbs lighter each and so are the tires (for a total of 4 lbs lighter each over non Brembo brake package car).
Further the Brembo brake package car does NOT have a spare tire.
The average donut spare tire/wheel weighs 30-35 lbs.
So if anything a 2011 GT with the Brembo brake package weighs LESS than the car without the Brembo brake package stock for stock from the factory.
So it's possible the glass sunroof actually adds more than 80 lbs to the weight of the roof, but as I stated 70-80 lbs is probably accurate.
Old 7/18/10, 10:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Glass roofs of the size the 2011 GT has got to be around 70-80 lbs.
This is false. I read it was 25-35 lbs.

Also, the glass roof is NOTHING like a sunroof. The sunroof doesn't add much do your vision while driving. For a tall guy like me who scoots his seat a bit back, I get at least 20% more front visibility with the glass roof which REALLY makes me feel "open" and not trapped in a box.

Also, rear cam is godly. Esp the version w/o electronics package.
Old 7/19/10, 10:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

So I think I have made up my mind. I can only get x-plan pricing. For a minute I thought I could get some A-Z pricing.

I was quoted what I believe to be better than X-plan pricing on Route A. It has the following:

-GT Coupe Premium
-401A
-19" Wheels
-Electronic Package
-Comfort Package

-Security Package
-Rear View Camera
-HID

The price is within my budget and only a few bucks more than ordering with the extras taken out. Route B would be to special order with what is bolded above.

So I figured i'll try to land the car that is almost at the dealer instead of waiting for a special order. Route B can always be a fallback.
Old 7/19/10, 11:21 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by RedWings
Sterling Grey
401a
Black w\cashmere
19" Painted Aluminum
Comfort group
Electronic Package
Glass roof

Undecided:
Spoiler delete
Rear view cam
SWEEEET!!
Old 7/19/10, 05:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by jokerstars
This is false. I read it was 25-35 lbs.

Also, the glass roof is NOTHING like a sunroof. The sunroof doesn't add much do your vision while driving. For a tall guy like me who scoots his seat a bit back, I get at least 20% more front visibility with the glass roof which REALLY makes me feel "open" and not trapped in a box.
Where did you read that? Was it from an official Ford release?

I'd be very surprised if that was the case.
Not sure if the roof on the Mustang is aluminum or steel, but again, glass is very heavy.
Sure the glass roof is not a sunroof, but it has about 4 times the amount of glass in it a normal sunroof has. And we aren't talking 1/8" thin glass here.
Again, I'd be very surprised if that glass roof only weighed 35 lbs more and would admit I was wrong if it did. But again, if the glass roof is only 35 lbs heavier, the metal roof in the Mustang is some thick metal, or the glass in the roof is some thin glass.
Either way, 35 lbs is still heavy to put on the roof (like a car battery) but until I see official word, I know most sunroofs add 40-45 lbs and can't see how that huge piece of glass on the entire roof of the Mustang would be close to that, much less weigh LESS than the weight of a sunroof.

Last edited by Driver72; 7/19/10 at 05:50 PM.
Old 7/19/10, 08:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tom_vilsack
no mustang should have a backup camera...unless it's a mustang II ;-)-
You obviously don't have 3 boys that randomly leave their bicycles/skateboards/etc leaning up against the garage wall. If a camera will save me one scratch on my new Mustang it's one less *** I'll have to kick.
Old 7/20/10, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Driver72
Where did you read that? Was it from an official Ford release?

I'd be very surprised if that was the case.
Not sure if the roof on the Mustang is aluminum or steel, but again, glass is very heavy.
Sure the glass roof is not a sunroof, but it has about 4 times the amount of glass in it a normal sunroof has. And we aren't talking 1/8" thin glass here.
Again, I'd be very surprised if that glass roof only weighed 35 lbs more and would admit I was wrong if it did. But again, if the glass roof is only 35 lbs heavier, the metal roof in the Mustang is some thick metal, or the glass in the roof is some thin glass.
Either way, 35 lbs is still heavy to put on the roof (like a car battery) but until I see official word, I know most sunroofs add 40-45 lbs and can't see how that huge piece of glass on the entire roof of the Mustang would be close to that, much less weigh LESS than the weight of a sunroof.
The glass roof adds 28lbs. At least that's what I've read. You have to remember that a lot of steel is being replaced by the glass.
Old 7/20/10, 05:37 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Driver72
Glass roof is expensive and adds around 70-80 lbs to the TOP OF THE CAR.
Worst possible place for a performance car. Dilutes handling, braking, and acceleration.
$2k for that?
You have got to be kidding! 70 -80 lbs my foot.
I have a glass roof and the car still in stock trim drives like a dream. Much better than my previous '05 without the glass roof.
Old 7/20/10, 06:43 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by OAC_Sparky
You obviously don't have 3 boys that randomly leave their bicycles/skateboards/etc leaning up against the garage wall. If a camera will save me one scratch on my new Mustang it's one less *** I'll have to kick.
LOL, it's the "Dad Life" for me too...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZa7hU6tP_s

Last edited by Double-EDad; 7/20/10 at 06:46 PM.