2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

What would you do.... 2014 or 2015?

Search this Thread

Old 3/30/14, 06:59 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What would you do.... 2014 or 2015?

So what would you do......

My dad had his license yanked on Friday as he can no longer pass his driver's test. He is about to turn 80.Honestly he has been a menace on the roads since I was a young boy. My dad has a car that has a lot of equity in it, not paid off but a lot of equity. Since I have been helping my parents out a lot over the past 3 years they offered me first dibs on the car if I wanted to trade it in on a new 2014 Mustang. My mom and I talk daily and she knows I'm dying to get into another Mustang. If I don't take the deal they are going to offer sell the car to my older sister. I'm not looking to screw my sister over, but I know financially I have given a lot to my parents (my youngest screwed them outta $50k and I had been mostly paying their bills for the past 3 years) and if anyone deserves to get anything outta this it's me.

I went to the Ford dealer and worked out a great deal with the equity on the car from my dad plus, $4k in rebates, $1k loyal customer plus my X-plan it's a great deal. Car is track pack car with leather recaro seats plus pedestal spoiler. My dilemma is I was trying to wait til the 2015 is out. I could go the 2014 route now and then wait for a full model of the 2015 to let Ford work out any bugs.

What would you do??
Old 3/30/14, 07:03 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,749 Likes on 1,240 Posts
Hi David.
Sorry to hear about your dad and mom. My parents are about the same age and I look after them A LOT! lol
If it were me,....I would be all over the 2014 model. That's just me. The deal is there and I personally like the looks of the 2014 compared to the 2015.
Good luck man!
Old 3/30/14, 07:28 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Stage_3
Hi David.
Sorry to hear about your dad and mom. My parents are about the same age and I look after them A LOT! lol
If it were me,....I would be all over the 2014 model. That's just me. The deal is there and I personally like the looks of the 2014 compared to the 2015.
Good luck man!
Thanks. I am the only one out of all the kids capable of helping them out and so I do. I like the 2014 and the 2015 but i wasn't originally planning to have to make this decision between 2014 or 2015 until the end of the year....
Old 3/30/14, 08:19 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Flame on but most in this section are going to say go with the 13-14 model. Being as I was in your shoes in 2004 I would wait and test drive the 15 model. You can not go wrong with a 13-14 but what is waiting a couple months to see what the 2015 is all about? I'm sure the dealers will mark up the 15 so at the same time there will be some good deals to be had on the 14 models.
Old 3/30/14, 08:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Why not sell your dad's car outright and save the money until this fall, or at least until there's more details out about the 2015? The deals on a 2014 are only going to get better between now and then and it ain't like the cars are scarce.
Old 3/30/14, 08:37 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I must add that if your in the market right now to buy a mustang you are a lucky fellow!! The 50th anniversary mustang is comming out plus the current model is absolutely stunning! It's a win win either way.

Last edited by SONICBOOST; 3/30/14 at 08:38 PM.
Old 3/30/14, 09:50 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by SONICBOOST
I must add that if your in the market right now to buy a mustang you are a lucky fellow!! The 50th anniversary mustang is comming out plus the current model is absolutely stunning! It's a win win either way.
I agree with this. I don't think either car would be bad. I think it comes down to if you have to have the retro 14. The 15 will most likely be a far superior performer. If I wasn't in love with the retro look, I'd get a 15.
Old 3/30/14, 10:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
I was on the fence of getting a new mustang for about a year!
The 2015 does not do anything much for me I like the 2013 - 2014 style plus the 2015 will be at least $5K more than a 2014 for at least the first 6 months it's out.
Yes you probably will get a little better deal on a 2014 in a few months but I wanted to order one just the way i wanted so I bought now!
It realy all comes down to what woks for YOU!
Old 3/30/14, 10:26 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by kylerohde
Why not sell your dad's car outright and save the money until this fall, or at least until there's more details out about the 2015? The deals on a 2014 are only going to get better between now and then and it ain't like the cars are scarce.
The option my dad offered was use it towards a mustang now or he would sell it to my sister instead. This was his way of helping me get into a new mustang now for everything I have done for them. Otherwise, he will sell to my sister who could use a car
Old 3/30/14, 10:36 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
If you go with a 2014 now you have the option of ordering the car you want with the options you want. If you wait until the 2015s are out the only 2014s that will still be available will be what the dealers ordered.

This isn't about what any of us feel about the '14 vs the '15, it's about what YOU feel. My '14 is my first Mustang and my first domestic car in 40 years. I thought about waiting for the '15 with IRS but decided to go ahead and order a '14. I have no regrets.

If I were you I would order the '14 I want and show my folks a photo of the car that their bequest made possible.
Old 3/30/14, 10:40 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by MyStang2010GB
The option my dad offered was use it towards a mustang now or he would sell it to my sister instead. This was his way of helping me get into a new mustang now for everything I have done for them. Otherwise, he will sell to my sister who could use a car
Personally I would just hold out a while and save up. Make a decision when you actually drive the '15. If your sister can use the car, family first in my book. It will cost you more money this route but I would still do what I think is the right thing to do. Your right thing may not be the same as mine and that's understandable. I don't know your sister. Lol
Old 3/31/14, 03:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with AlsCobra. Plus another thing to consider if you buy the 2015 is first model year issues and limited options... In addition to higher price with little or no haggle room. Even if I liked the look of the 2015, I would save for a couple years and get the GT350, Mach1 or whatever it will end up being.
Old 3/31/14, 05:02 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
I would wait for the 2015. If you buy a 2014, in a few months you'll have the 'old body style' Mustang.
Old 3/31/14, 05:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've loved Mustangs forever. I was entirely on the fence between the two. The new one is going to have some clear dynamic advantages...IRS, more power, etc. When I initially saw the 15 when it was unveiled I said, "I have to have one." So a couple months later after looking at photos, reading articles, and soul searching over it, I started to realize I liked looking at the old one more than the new one. I really admired the classic Mustang lines. The current car feels special to drive. Part of that might be that live axle. Getting to know the car, how it reacts, the entire driving experience. I suddenly started to get worried that the new car, in addition to losing those lines, was going to turn into just another fast RWD car. I didn't want a cut-price BMW M3, as much as that is an absolute barn-burner of a car.

So with the current incentives on the 14, a referral to the manager from a friend, and the expected 5-10% price increase of the all-new 15 model, in addition to getting the looks and the personality, I'm saving $12,000+ on top. Became an easy choice to make.
Old 3/31/14, 05:42 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
GO FOR THE '14.

While it sounds like you have certainly "earned" this one, this is a gift from your folks. Could the timing have been better? Yes...but at the end of the day, they're giving you the chance to get the car now. Sometimes circumstance means that our choices are not optimal but this is still one heck of a nice gift.

It sounds like you found a really good deal on a beautifully optioned car. Pretty much everyone in this forum will tell you how much we love these late S197s...all around awesome driving cars with one of the sweetest revving V8s you will find anywhere. You will love it regardless of what else is out there.

Besides, if the '15 comes along and blows the '14 out of the water (not likely), you can always trade in your low miles '14 and still be ahead of the game.

But, if you buy a '15, you'll be in the same boat when the inevitable new motor comes along in a couple years...it's a never ending cycle.

Good luck with your decision... keep us posted and keep taking good care of your parents!
Old 3/31/14, 06:19 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
With a financial decision like this that affects other family members, I would have to separate what's good for them vs. what I want. Mixing the two would be a conflict of interest for me. Not an easy thing to do, I suppose. If I wound up buying a 2014 when I really wanted a 2015, I might later feel like I let myself down to do something for someone else, and then I become less happy with a choice that was something for me.

What would benefit your parents most? Good luck in your decision - it's a touch one.
Old 3/31/14, 07:15 AM
Banned

2015 Ordering Banks open up in like a month. I'd wait.
Old 3/31/14, 07:44 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
With a financial decision like this that affects other family members, I would have to separate what's good for them vs. what I want. Mixing the two would be a conflict of interest for me. Not an easy thing to do, I suppose. If I wound up buying a 2014 when I really wanted a 2015, I might later feel like I let myself down to do something for someone else, and then I become less happy with a choice that was something for me.

What would benefit your parents most? Good luck in your decision - it's a touch one.
What benefits my parents most is moving down to one car and not having insurance expenses on (2) cars, registration on two cars and property tax. The car they would have remaining is a 2014 Ford Focus SE that I currently make the payment on. For this reason, and the other financial obligations of my parents I help out on, they wanted to give back to me by letting me take my dads Lincoln and use as a trade on a new Mustang GT. Honestly, my sister does not have the money to purchase the lincoln from my parents and she wants to make payments to them. Seeing as she doesn't have a job i can't see her being able to pay the remaining payments. I'm afraid my parents do this for her and when she can't afford the payment I'm gonna be the one that has to step in and make it... for a car they don't have and I don't have.

Order banks may open next month but it'll be awhile before cars starting hitting the dealers. I could get the '14 and drive it until the 2016 Special Edition..whatever it is comes out.

It's a great opportunity for sure and I love the looks the both the 2014 and the 2015.
Old 3/31/14, 07:53 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Personally I would just hold out a while and save up. Make a decision when you actually drive the '15. If your sister can use the car, family first in my book. It will cost you more money this route but I would still do what I think is the right thing to do. Your right thing may not be the same as mine and that's understandable. I don't know your sister. Lol
My sister could use the car but I don't see how she could afford the remaining payments with her situation.
Old 3/31/14, 09:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Sell the car, split the money. Your sister can get something better and you can have more time to think about what you'd like to do.

Quick Reply: What would you do.... 2014 or 2015?