The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2010-2014 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/)
-   -   What other parts should I be concerned about if my pinion bearing went bad? (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/what-other-parts-should-i-concerned-about-if-my-pinion-bearing-went-bad-539016/)

Rando 10/1/15 06:08 AM

What other parts should I be concerned about if my pinion bearing went bad?

I have a 2013 Mustang 3.7L and Ford just replaced my pinion bearing among a few other things. I will have more details later today when I pick the car up. The dealership said they found metal shavings in the differential.

I've driven a few hundred miles on this bad pinion. My back tires wobbled back and forth and there was a loud grinding noise
  1. Could something like this damage or degrade the gears or other parts?
  2. What else should typically be replaced when something like this happens?
  3. What should I look/listen for when I pick the car up?

I only have ~20,000 miles remaining on my power train warranty so I want to make sure this is fully resolved. I've never worked with rear differentials before so I'm trying to educate myself.

Here's a thread detailing my problems
https://themustangsource.com/forums/...ar-axle-538888

TheReaper 10/1/15 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Rando (Post 6948572)
I have a 2013 Mustang 3.7L and Ford just replaced my pinion bearing among a few other things. I will have more details later today when I pick the car up. The dealership said they found metal shavings in the differential.

I've driven a few hundred miles on this bad pinion. My back tires wobbled back and forth and there was a loud grinding noise
  1. Could something like this damage or degrade the gears or other parts?
  2. What else should typically be replaced when something like this happens?
  3. What should I look/listen for when I pick the car up?

I only have ~20,000 miles remaining on my power train warranty so I want to make sure this is fully resolved. I've never worked with rear differentials before so I'm trying to educate myself.

Here's a thread detailing my problems
https://themustangsource.com/forums/...ar-axle-538888

Drive your car and enjoy it, stop worrying about it breaking down.

Rando 10/1/15 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by TheReaper (Post 6948602)
Drive your car and enjoy it, stop worrying about it breaking down.

I've done that for 40,000 miles and so far it's done me no good.

Here's what Ford replaced on my car

firstang001 10/9/15 01:22 PM

How much did it cost you to get all of this done?

wannabe 10/10/15 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by firstang001 (Post 6949488)
How much did it cost you to get all of this done?

I like this response ;), but also understand where he's coming from. When big dollar service is required, whether the warranty covered it or not a lot of folks will continue to worry over it.

Coyote5-0 10/15/15 12:43 PM

It's not very likely the ring gear, side gears, and spider gears would be damaged from some metal shavings. They are pretty hard gears. What you might be concerned about is the limited slip differential and the clutch packs in there. It looks like the tech just inspected the pinion and carrier bearings, and didn't look at anything else. Common practice though...if it's not broke or being complained about, DON'T fix it. I honestly wouldn't be too worried about it though.

Gary-S197 8/25/21 10:58 AM

Small particles

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/themust...1505ec3f96.png
I was checking my oil separator the other day JLT oil separator, Ford performance valve covers, PA Performance Alternator, upgraded wiring kit for alternator, have a Pacer Off-road H-pipe(catless), MBRP axle back muffler delete. I use motocraft 5W-20 full synthetic with the FL-820s motocraft oil filter change every 2,500 miles at 115k miles it’s a 2007 4.6. I have cams and fuel upgrades but I don’t want to get in big rush with seeing this like this. Any help or suggestions on where to start?
I also have a Bama Rev-x tuner and had a popcorn tune for about 1 week and half and took off and car still pops. Like that tune is still on I’ve tried reflashing but it just doesn’t seem to work.

Bert 8/25/21 11:06 AM

those particles are in the oil catch can?

that's a new one for me . . . they must have come from the crank-case somewhere, and I am amazed that they would be carried out by the vented gasses so they can be caught in the catch can

I think it means two things and sorry I can't be more specific:
1) there is something grinding itself up in the lower part of the engine
2) you have a lot of blow-by, maybe bad rings? how much oil are you collecting in the catch can?

what is a "popcorn tune"? when my engine sounds like popcorn, that is usually a very bad thing -- usually the sound of bad pinging, which could be causing the damage

EDIT/PS -- since your question is completely different from the original topic of this thread, you might want to start a new one with a clear title to get a better response

Gary-S197 8/25/21 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Bert (Post 7063924)
those particles are in the oil catch can?

that's a new one for me . . . they must have come from the crank-case somewhere, and I am amazed that they would be carried out by the vented gasses so they can be caught in the catch can

I think it means two things and sorry I can't be more specific:
1) there is something grinding itself up in the lower part of the engine
2) you have a lot of blow-by, maybe bad rings? how much oil are you collecting in the catch can?

what is a "popcorn tune"? when my engine sounds like popcorn, that is usually a very bad thing -- usually the sound of bad pinging, which could be causing the damage

The popcorn tune was a very bad mistake. But it dumps excess fuel into cylinders to get it to more less back fire, well now it just more less sounds like it’s got a real bad miss. Plugs and coil packs aren’t even a month old. I’ve had catch can on for about week an half now and that was first time checking it. It’s a 3oz capacity and it was just filling the bottom.