2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

What are the best HID's for a 12' Stang 5.0?

Search this Thread

Old 3/24/11, 09:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LEwis26
No, I'm not a man of the church who gives sermons and homilies.

I've been blinded by far too many HID plug and play kits to let it slide.

I've also had a friend have a head on collision blamed on him due to improper lighting, and the court ruled against him. Leaving him and his insurance company to pay for the mess.
Im with ya on that one,

I wish the cops would enforce it more...it really isn't safe...and it is clearly stated that it is illegal (for off road use only).

it makes your car look like a civic and cheap..and they arn't very functional at all....i dunno why you would want that...but to each their own I guess ...May as well get a matching wing for your car too...
Old 3/24/11, 10:57 AM
Bullitt Member

I love my kits from xenondepot.com xtreme HID's-- Relay powered... not plug and play... good stuff.
Old 3/24/11, 01:04 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by LLZuB
it makes your car look like a civic and cheap..and they arn't very functional at all....i dunno why you would want that...but to each their own I guess ...May as well get a matching wing for your car too...
Ya know, this is one of the reasons that pushed me into selecting the HID option. The cars running around with HID kits in a halogen headlight housing started to stand out to me and look cheaper and cheaper. The picture posted on page 1 is a perfect example.
Old 3/24/11, 01:22 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Order factory or don't bother.
Old 3/24/11, 01:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
I'm pretty happy with my RAxiom aftermarket lights, and xenon depot HIDs
Old 3/24/11, 01:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Really not sure how Chuttoy's install "looks" cheap. It has good output and cutoffs. I realize it's all personal preference, but i think the factory HID housings look like garbage compared to the halogen ones.
Old 3/24/11, 02:41 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by starbai
Point is, you're still using a halogen, non-projector style headlight housing and running HIDs from it. Not a good idea. They throw light all over the place, are a safety issue to others on the road, and look bad IMO.

I understand the frustration for not wanting to spend $920 for HIDs and Security. On the other hand, you know the system is designed properly and carries the factory warranty. You don't have to worry about blinding others on the road and the light output is leaps and bounds above the stock halogen housings.
Old 3/24/11, 03:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Point is, you're still using a halogen, non-projector style headlight housing and running HIDs from it. Not a good idea. They throw light all over the place, are a safety issue to others on the road, and look bad IMO.

I understand the frustration for not wanting to spend $920 for HIDs and Security. On the other hand, you know the system is designed properly and carries the factory warranty. You don't have to worry about blinding others on the road and the light output is leaps and bounds above the stock halogen housings.
Raxiom's are projector lenses.

http://v6mustangperformance.com/modi...llation-guide/

Anyways, if someone would honestly just build a head lamp housing with the turn signal on the INSIDE of the projector lens, I'd buy em. I just really don't want to hack up the factory housing.

Last edited by FastRedPonyCar; 3/24/11 at 03:05 PM.
Old 3/24/11, 03:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Id be interested to see what type of projectors are being used in the Raxioms in order for them to be selling those so cheap.

I like the way the factory lights look...if the turn signal was on the inside it wouldn't make much sense would it?...I know it's like that on the halogen lights...but if the projectors take most of the attention when your looking at the front of the car...if they wern't where they were...people would probably not notice your turn signals when you were turning

Last edited by LLZuB; 3/24/11 at 03:24 PM.
Old 3/24/11, 03:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member Moderator

Received 531 Likes on 231 Posts
I would have but didn't want the 100+ lb weight increase. You can't get HID without the bloated Premium package. But since its a daily driver that will see virtually no night time driving other than city street speeds and well lit freeways its no biggie. I will upgrade the lighting some way if that changes.
Old 3/24/11, 03:58 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
I would have but didn't want the 100+ lb weight increase. You can't get HID without the bloated Premium package. But since its a daily driver that will see virtually no night time driving other than city street speeds and well lit freeways its no biggie. I will upgrade the lighting some way if that changes.
It's not 100 lbs. Here are some figures that were given to me. Both cars were filled up til the gas pump clicked off:

Deluxe with only options being Brembo package and 3.73's and no spoiler. 3593lbs

Premium with Brembo package, navigation, 3.73 and upgraded seats, no spoiler. 3642lbs
Old 3/24/11, 05:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by starbai
Do you mind taking pics of the beam against a flat wall? I've been asking around, but no one seems to have any pics of the beam itself....

I'm curious to see how easy it'll be to retrofit the Raxiom lights versus stock halogens... And if it's even worth it....

A picture like this... minus the car...
Old 3/24/11, 07:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

My car has literally every option (down to and including the backup sensors) so I'll get mine weighed and see how much that is.
Old 3/24/11, 08:09 PM

It's not 100 lbs. Here are some figures that were given to me. Both cars were filled up til the gas pump clicked off:

Deluxe with only options being Brembo package and 3.73's and no spoiler. 3593lbs

Premium with Brembo package, navigation, 3.73 and upgraded seats, no spoiler. 3642lbs
If you saw with your own eyes, I'll take your word for it regarding those two cars. I've been told different numbers. If those are customer cars, how do we know what each had in the trunk, console, glove box, etc.? What about aftermarket tires and wheels? But even if its less than a hundred difference between premium and base its still way more than I want to lug around. I prefer my 3310 lb car to one well over 3600 and don't much care where all the weight savings came from.

Maybe the 5.0 motor is a LOT heavier than the 3.7 despite what the GT owners claim, the front sure feels a lot heavier in the GTs when cornering.

Or maybe my tires are filled with helium and those GTs had a lot of Heavy Metal in their playlists.
Old 3/25/11, 08:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by chutoyy
Do you mind taking pics of the beam against a flat wall? I've been asking around, but no one seems to have any pics of the beam itself....

I'm curious to see how easy it'll be to retrofit the Raxiom lights versus stock halogens... And if it's even worth it....
I wonder what lights were in that photo because the pattern appears wrong. The distinct cutoff and the "bump" in the middle is correct but there should be no slope in the cutoff. The photo looks like the cutoff slopes down to the right. Maybe it wasn't a level surface or something.

I have the Raxiom projector lamps but with just H11 halogen bulbs. The beam pattern on a wall is just like that picture except the cutoff is horizontal. I didn't bother adding an HID upgrade because merely switching to the projector lamps was such a huge upgrade over the stock reflectors that I didn't feel HIDs would be worth the money.
Old 3/25/11, 08:21 AM
Bullitt Member

So does that mean the raxioms are not even a true HID projector? they're a halogen projector?

and if thats the case your right, HID's wouldn't be worth the money for the raxioms..as the cut off would have hot spots while using HID bulbs in a halogen projector...but it will work

Last edited by LLZuB; 3/25/11 at 08:26 AM.
Old 3/25/11, 08:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Why do the raxiom's not use the stock H13 bulb type?
Old 3/25/11, 08:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by LLZuB
So does that mean the raxioms are not even a true HID projector? they're a halogen projector?

and if thats the case your right, HID's wouldn't be worth the money for the raxioms..as the cut off would have hot spots while using HID bulbs in a halogen projector...but it will work
Yes, they are a halogen projector design. But no, that won't affect the beam pattern significantly. Projector lamps do most of their light shaping with the lens (the internal reflector is simply elliptical) and the movable shield plate. The change of position of the light source between a halogen bulb and an HID capsule is insignificant because the elliptical reflector reflects light outwards from all central positions within.
Old 3/25/11, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by FastRedPonyCar
For better lighting and not blinding people. An HID bulb arc is not in the same place in the bulb as a filament bulb. So you don't get the right pattern. A lot of the light ends up wasted or turns into glare and also goes where not wanted blinding other drivers. So a halogen projector is much better than an HID in a reflector. Putting an HID bulb in a projector doesn't throw as much of the light where not wanted so not as bad as putting one in a regular reflector.
Old 3/25/11, 08:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by FastRedPonyCar
Because the H13 is a dual filament bulb. Projector lamps change between low beam and high beam by moving a shield plate within the lamp rather than by changing the light source position with a second filament.

Quick Reply: What are the best HID's for a 12' Stang 5.0?