2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

The Track Newbie Thread

Search this Thread

Old 7/18/10, 12:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Track Newbie Thread

Now that I have a nice sports car again, visiting a track some day is tickling my interest. I've never been to a track before. I'm thinking something like the following example might be a good starting place:

BeaveRun Flat Out Days

I'm curious what I can learn from others here on the site. Is the above example a good example of the kind of thing I should be looking into first? I was thinking I should probably go to the event as a spectator first before actually signing up.

What are your experiences with insurance? Will an insurance company insure your car during such events? If not, I guess the car needs to be paid off before taking it.

What kind of costs will I be looking at?

Any recommendations?

I'm currently in central PA, and I'm also interested in tracks near Kansas City (maybe within a 200 mile radius).

Thanks.

Last edited by Skotty; 7/18/10 at 05:56 PM. Reason: fixed spelling snafu
Old 7/18/10, 02:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
insurance does not pay for racing, and might drop you if you tell them you race. you wreck it you pay for it.
Old 7/18/10, 03:14 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check your local SCCA chapter, they should have a school you can attend.

Insurance definitely won't cover your race activities. Most who race their street cars just bear the cost of any damage themselves.

And I would look for an autocross to run in first, all there is to hit are orange cones.

That beaverun thing you posted says you can drive their car if you want, better to tear someone elses car up learning how to run on the road course.
Old 7/18/10, 03:50 PM

That link for BeaveRun is exactly the type of event you want. Instructions is provided-you take everything at your own pace, first observing the instructor (usually), then going out with the instructor riding shotgun.

Get a helmet (see requirements for the event). Get insurance: http://hpdeins.locktonaffinity.com/

And have a blast!!

I actually picked up some hardware at BeaveRun a few years ago in a ricer before I got my USDA choice Mustang GT-short but fun little track
Old 7/18/10, 05:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That single event insurance coverage is a GREAT idea!
Old 7/18/10, 10:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
And I would look for an autocross to run in first, all there is to hit are orange cones.
I heartily agree. If you have not had experience braking, turning, and accelerating at the limits of the tire traction, autocross is a much lower risk way to get some practice before tackling a track. The basics translate reasonably well, although a track event experience might seem more attractive because of the higher speeds you can attain.
Old 7/19/10, 12:37 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Check out the Autocross/Road Racing subforum here for some archived knowledge.
Old 7/19/10, 06:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 06GT
Check out the Autocross/Road Racing subforum here for some archived knowledge.
Thanks for the heads up. I've spent so much time in the 2010+ forum that sometimes I forget to see if there is a more appropriate forum for my post.