The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2010-2014 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/)
-   -   Tire pressure sensor fault (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/tire-pressure-sensor-fault-546204/)

dohc97 10/3/18 05:46 AM

Tire pressure sensor fault

I was driving in the highway today when my tire pressure sensor fault message came up. First time I have seen this. It went away after 2 or 3 seconds. Should I be worried? When i got to work, i looked around and my tires all look good.

SpectreH 10/3/18 06:44 AM

Check your actual pressures, especially if you haven't in a while.

Bert 10/3/18 08:40 AM

my first guess would be that probably means the battery is going dead in one of the sensors . . . which is going to be kind of a pain because you are going to have to figure out which one it is, and they replace the battery or the entire sensor if it keeps happening (not sure if the batteries are replaceable or if you have to replace the whole sensor)

the warning for low tire pressure is different, something like "low tire pressure"

5.M0NSTER 10/3/18 02:22 PM

Was it low pressure or actual tire pressure monitoring system fault? This happens when one of the sensors hasn't transmitted a signal over the last 20 miles. It takes a long time to detect. Bert may be right about a battery going low. They are supposed to have a 10 year lifespan, but who knows. How many miles on the car?

dohc97 10/3/18 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER (Post 7035692)
Was it low pressure or actual tire pressure monitoring system fault? This happens when one of the sensors hasn't transmitted a signal over the last 20 miles. It takes a long time to detect. Bert may be right about a battery going low. They are supposed to have a 10 year lifespan, but who knows. How many miles on the car?

I have a 2014 GT and it currently has less than 15k miles in it. I also have aftermarket wheels(HRE) on the car maybe for the last 3 years. New sensors were installed with the new wheels.

VIP1 10/5/18 02:18 PM

Check the pressure on all 4 ties with a good gauge.
Visual inspection not enough.

Bert 10/8/18 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER (Post 7035692)
Was it low pressure or actual tire pressure monitoring system fault? . . .

original post said "tire pressure sensor fault" ; I would assume he already checked the pressures but that is not entirely clear from his posts here

the aftermarket sensors are a lot cheaper than the Ford OEM ones; might be a bad battery or bad sensor

dohc97 12/29/18 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Bert (Post 7035743)
original post said "tire pressure sensor fault" ; I would assume he already checked the pressures but that is not entirely clear from his posts here

the aftermarket sensors are a lot cheaper than the Ford OEM ones; might be a bad battery or bad sensor

I bought the sensors from American Muscle when I had the HRE wheels put on. Not sue if they are aftermarket or OEM. I check the tire pressure before driving the car as it is not my daily driver. Also, the battery is always plugin to the wall via a battery maintainer, again just because i don't daily drive the car.

I think I just have bad tire sensors. I am going to get new tires anyways in two years. I will just get new sensors at that time.

5.M0NSTER 12/30/18 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by dohc97 (Post 7037729)
I bought the sensors from American Muscle when I had the HRE wheels put on. Not sue if they are aftermarket or OEM. I check the tire pressure before driving the car as it is not my daily driver. Also, the battery is always plugin to the wall via a battery maintainer, again just because i don't daily drive the car.

I think I just have bad tire sensors. I am going to get new tires anyways in two years. I will just get new sensors at that time.

Not a bad plan, as long as you’re willing to tolerate the message and blinking light.

The battery i was referring to is actually in the tire pressure sensor itself. Changing the sensors will likely fix it, or you can also force a re-learn. If one of the 4 sensors has a dead battery you’ll find out which one this way.