The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2010-2014 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/)
-   -   Tire blowout on rear 19" (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/tire-blowout-rear-19-a-533677/)

Moejoe_989 10/29/14 12:47 PM

Tire blowout on rear 19"

4 Attachment(s)
Little backstory to get everyone up to speed.
Purchased a new mustang with the 19" 5 spoke wheels in late September of 2013.
Bent my rim a month later and didn't want to dish out $1200 for just the rim from ford.

I drove around in the spare for about 2 weeks, then put winter tires on the rear of the car, BUT I went through 2 locking keys because the lug nuts were put on with an impact wrench and couldn't get them off myself.

Fast forward to June 2014. I took the car to the dealership and had them break those locking lug nuts off, but stupid me I kept driving with my stock 19" tire on the driver side rear, and an 18" snow tire with bigger profile on the passenger side rear.

Anyway, I guess my tire screamed "I've had enough"
Because this passed weekend while cruising home I suffered a blowout.
The middle of the tire looks as bald as George Castanza from Seinfeld.

My brother gave me **** because he thinks it's from doing burnouts all the time (which I wasn't really doing) and that's why my tire wore thin in the middle.

Thoughts?

Critical Mass 10/29/14 01:20 PM

Under normal circumstances I'd say the tire was over-inflated. But in your case, so many things gone wrong. lol.

Moejoe_989 10/29/14 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Critical Mass (Post 6864751)
Under normal circumstances I'd say the tire was over-inflated. But in your case, so many things gone wrong. lol.

It's a steep learning curve that's for sure!
Running two different sizes?! I don't know why I did that for so long.
It's just so **** difficult to find those rims. Even on EBay. But they won't ship to canada a lot if those buyers.

I'm thinking I might just go aftermarket. But I have 3 great condition rims with 3 great tires, and one ****ty rim with no tire. So can't really sell just 3 rims

dmichaels 10/29/14 04:51 PM

Looks like the middle of the tires have no tread? Hard to tell.

What do your other tires look like?

14Glassback 10/29/14 04:54 PM

Might want to change the fluid in the differential too... Sounds like you had it working overtime...

Moejoe_989 10/29/14 05:04 PM

My other rear tires look fantastic-ish.
I assume it's from the different sizes of he two rear tires putting a weird angle on my "stock" Pirelli?
I'm thinking of taking it in for a yearly/winter service and then storing it.
I have notice fluid residue on my rear diff at my oil changes, but never any leakage or puddles on the ground.
I assume it's the valve sweating?
I had my rear pinion seal replaced due to a leak from the dealer at 8,000 kms. Car is currently sitting at 20,500.

Moejoe_989 10/29/14 05:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Winter tire that was running opposite the stock Perilli

Moejoe_989 10/29/14 05:10 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Stock Perilli with 20,500 kilometres and 2 runs down the drag strip.

dmichaels 10/29/14 05:17 PM

wow your pirelli's are destroyed

GrnT 10/29/14 05:22 PM

Think of the stress your axel may have been put through. That can't be good with different sized tires.

David Young 10/30/14 05:05 AM

I bet you need to have your rear end rebuilt. :(

TheReaper 10/30/14 09:49 AM

Where I live it's against the law to drive on tires that worn out.

Moejoe_989 10/30/14 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by dmichaels (Post 6864840)
wow your pirelli's are destroyed

That's only the one tire.
My rear axle was already replaced because I hit a curb last year and it bent my rim and bent my rear axle.

TheReaper 10/30/14 04:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Moejoe_989 (Post 6865118)
That's only the one tire.
My rear axle was already replaced because I hit a curb last year and it bent my rim and bent my rear axle.

You need to buy and learn how to use one of these.

Moejoe_989 10/30/14 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by TheReaper (Post 6865199)
You need to buy and learn how to use one of these.

I don't disagree. There's a lot of things I need to do better. Check my oil more frequently. Usually it's once a week but sometimes
It'll slip to every 2 weeks.

Need to use a tire pressure gauge as well.

I feel like a goon for running that stupid setup for so long and possible causing damage.

I just don't know what to tell the dealership to look for when they give my car the yearly maintenance inspection.

TheReaper 10/30/14 05:36 PM

Don't rely on the Dealership, educate yourself and know what to do in the future. That's why you are here, to get knowledge from people who are in the know.

Moejoe_989 10/30/14 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by TheReaper (Post 6865221)
Don't rely on the Dealership, educate yourself and know what to do in the future. That's why you are here, to get knowledge from people who are in the know.

I appreciate the help!
I'm sure all I did (hopefully) was prematurely wear out the tire.
Oh well, I'm in the market for new rims and rubber this summer anyway!

JoeMidnight 10/31/14 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Moejoe_989 (Post 6864755)
It's a steep learning curve that's for sure!
Running two different sizes?! I don't know why I did that for so long.
It's just so **** difficult to find those rims. Even on EBay. But they won't ship to canada a lot if those buyers.

I'm thinking I might just go aftermarket. But I have 3 great condition rims with 3 great tires, and one ****ty rim with no tire. So can't really sell just 3 rims

you can sell 3... lots of people would want to pick up a single rim as a spare :)

Moejoe_989 11/4/14 03:27 PM

I spoke with my friends dad who is way more knowledgable and he's fairly certain the tire was over-inflated which would cause that premature wear in the centre of the tire like that.

Noilly Pratt 11/4/14 04:36 PM

I would have a trusted shop open up the rear end and check to see if the gears are OK and not prematurely worn. Or at the very least make sure you listen for any weird whine or noises coming from the rear.

What you did would put undue stress on the assembly, but it is pretty stout so you might come out OK.

A lesson learned and hopefully you come out of it with little damage to the drive-train.