2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Throttle Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 7/3/14, 09:06 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Throttle Issue?

Okay, some of you know the issues I've been having and I think with the help of a few members from another form I might have narrowed down the issue sort of.

A member looked at my logs and kept noticing how the throttle angel actual was not getting higher then 40 in the logs, and WOT should read 81 when the pedal is to the floor.

So to rule out any wiring issues he had me take the intake off so i could see the blades. Put the Key on and leave the engine off and log and press the accel pedal a few times. Though i had to really press on it, it did hit 81 which means the blades are fully open and thats WOT. Sweet so no issues there.

but under normal driving conditions I tested again, still wouldn't get over 40, basically the TB is only opening half way? Is this a sign of a bad throttle body or is there something in a tune that could be controlling this? Seems that this is probably whats causing my issues.

Reminder that the wiring for the Throttle body extensions are plug n play, i didn't have to do anything other then plug the ends in.

Maybe another tuner could chime in with thoughts in what could be causing the throttle wierdness.
Old 7/3/14, 09:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you tried changing the tune? Do you have another tune (race/street/etc) that you could try? I see you're SC so trying the stock tune is out.
Old 7/3/14, 09:53 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by lakeguy77
Have you tried changing the tune? Do you have another tune (race/street/etc) that you could try? I see you're SC so trying the stock tune is out.
you know i just thought about that I should go back to the initial tune I got and see what the throttle is like then. But there's no other tunes with it. besides the initial tune i got for it and then a couple revisions.
Old 7/3/14, 10:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
I wonder if you having issues with the throttle positioning sensor. I know you check it with a volt meter.
Old 7/3/14, 10:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by rmurer
you know i just thought about that I should go back to the initial tune I got and see what the throttle is like then. But there's no other tunes with it. besides the initial tune i got for it and then a couple revisions.
I've seen this with custom tunes on imports. Guys bring their cars into the dealer not making boost and poor acceleration. We take a look and ask for their tuner to pull the tune. No problems on the stock tune, so we tell them to talk to their tuner. 9/10 times, it's the tune that's the issue. If you have an older tune or a baseline tune that your tuner gave you to get started, I'd go there and see what numbers you get.
Old 7/3/14, 10:50 AM
Cobra R Member

I've seen this with custom tunes on imports. Guys bring their cars into the dealer not making boost and poor acceleration. We take a look and ask for their tuner to pull the tune. No problems on the stock tune, so we tell them to talk to their tuner. 9/10 times, it's the tune that's the issue. If you have an older tune or a baseline tune that your tuner gave you to get started, I'd go there and see what numbers you get.
Well the initial tune i got was terrible to begin with but I can alteast see if the throttle is any different. I feel like something is up with the throttle body.
Old 7/3/14, 11:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Well the initial tune i got was terrible to begin with but I can alteast see if the throttle is any different. I feel like something is up with the throttle body.
It's possible. Does it do this on free revs or only under load? If it's an actual throttle body problem you'd think it would exhibit the same thing all the time, whether the engine is running or not, in gear or not.
Old 7/3/14, 12:34 PM
Cobra R Member

It's possible. Does it do this on free revs or only under load? If it's an actual throttle body problem you'd think it would exhibit the same thing all the time, whether the engine is running or not, in gear or not.
doing some free revs while parked, still the same issue with the TB not opening all the way according to the logs.
Old 7/3/14, 07:41 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Hmmm please keep us posted. How can there be issues with the TB already? How many miles on your car?
Old 7/4/14, 02:41 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
IMHO it's probably the tune, I'm curious if VMP does not start off with the Roush stock calibration thus making it your "factory" tune to fall back on. Did you let them know of your issues and provide them with your logs? I'm running a VMP remote tune and it took a some time and multiple revisions to get it right.
Also I know you said you pulled the intake off to watch the butterflies open and even though the front area probably looked spotless it may be a different story on the other side. Couldn't hurt to get some TB cleaner and clean it up. I was having idle issues in stop and go traffic since the weather has gotten hot on both a Brenspeed and VMP tune. This is what mine looked like after 10 months and 9000 miles on the Roush phase II and since cleaning the issues have gone away.

Last edited by GT50GO; 7/4/14 at 02:59 AM.
Old 7/4/14, 05:46 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by GT50GO
IMHO it's probably the tune, I'm curious if VMP does not start off with the Roush stock calibration thus making it your "factory" tune to fall back on. Did you let them know of your issues and provide them with your logs? I'm running a VMP remote tune and it took a some time and multiple revisions to get it right. Also I know you said you pulled the intake off to watch the butterflies open and even though the front area probably looked spotless it may be a different story on the other side. Couldn't hurt to get some TB cleaner and clean it up. I was having idle issues in stop and go traffic since the weather has gotten hot on both a Brenspeed and VMP tune. This is what mine looked like after 10 months and 9000 miles on the Roush phase II and since cleaning the issues have gone away.
Hmmm this is a good point. Remember how mine, after installing the jlt oil separator for about 20 miles, and I already had gunk and oil in there? I wonder if mine is gunked up already too. It doesn't hurt to clean the TB manually right?

I'm going to have the intake off already anyways once I put the new roush on. It shouldn't hurt cleaning it right? I assume process is take TB off, spray with TB cleaner, wipe clean. Has the op tried cleaning his?
Old 7/4/14, 05:59 AM
MJJ
Bullitt Member

Have you called BJ or Justin at VMP?

Send BJ an email. He will respond on the 4th. .........BJ@vmptuning.com
Old 7/4/14, 08:26 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by MJJ
Have you called BJ or Justin at VMP?

Send BJ an email. He will respond on the 4th. .........BJ@vmptuning.com
I sent Justin an email yesterday reporting what I have found, very early in the day and didn't hear back.

I will take a look at the throttle body to see if its dirty at all I mean i've only put maybe a thousand or so miles on it. I've only had the blower on for maybe 45 days?
Old 7/4/14, 09:24 AM
Bullitt Member

I sent Justin an email yesterday reporting what I have found, very early in the day and didn't hear back.

I will take a look at the throttle body to see if its dirty at all I mean i've only put maybe a thousand or so miles on it. I've only had the blower on for maybe 45 days?
Yes when I was working with them on my remote tune there response was not always instant to say the least.

I did not know you had so little miles on the SC install. Still could not hurt to take a look at the TB and clean it if it looks bad enough. But like I said originally sounds like the tune.
Old 7/4/14, 11:59 AM
MJJ
Bullitt Member

If you want a response from VMP quickly contact BJ at the email I listed above.
Old 7/4/14, 12:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

im willing to bet money that its the tune causing the problems.
Old 7/6/14, 12:24 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by southcarolina12
im willing to bet money that its the tune causing the problems.
Well I plan on calling and talking to them tomorrow And I plan on calling daily until this is figured out.
Old 7/6/14, 12:25 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by GT50GO
Yes when I was working with them on my remote tune there response was not always instant to say the least.

I did not know you had so little miles on the SC install. Still could not hurt to take a look at the TB and clean it if it looks bad enough. But like I said originally sounds like the tune.

Took it off anyway and it really wasn't dirty at all, not really any build up.
Old 7/6/14, 01:13 PM
Bullitt Member

At least now you know that's not the problem. Good luck with VMP it took a me a l-o-n-g time before I had a usable tune. I will say I'm running there tune now and with the TB be clean it's holding up well in the heat. I need to get a dyno done to see what it's putting out.
Old 7/7/14, 10:55 AM
I Have No Life

You sure? I took mine off and cleaned mine yesterday. At first glance it "looked" clean. After spraying the cleaner, letting it sit, spray again, sit... I could see the gunk that was on there. I spent about 15 cleaning that darn thing. There was dirt in front of, and behind the butterfly. But also the main bore area had gunk. I only had 9000 miles!!! Now after reinstalling and the new tune, my throttle response is like night and day. I remember it feeling "lazy", with a delayed response after throttle.

Here's what mine looked like at first removal, cleaning, and then post clean (last pic)
Attached Thumbnails Throttle Issue?-image-2382475196.jpg   Throttle Issue?-image-2318663108.jpg   Throttle Issue?-image-2386428653.jpg  

Quick Reply: Throttle Issue?