2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

For those that run their stangs in winter

Search this Thread

Old 9/9/11, 03:57 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those that run their stangs in winter

I need your help. What are you guys with brembo setup running in winter? What is a good winter tire and what specs will grip the best? Im looking to spend about 1k on tires and perhaps 1.5k if i can get some gt500 wheels and put some winter tires on it. Any thoughts from those that run something similar?
Old 9/9/11, 07:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

spend that on a beater and store the stang . . . or buy yourself a "winter" mustang lol I drive my 99 v6 through the winter, the 5.0 only comes out on nice weather days.

If you're set on winter wheels/tires AM sells a pretty cheap GT500 18" replica that are fairly cheap. As for tires I've had best results with blizzaks
Old 9/9/11, 07:27 AM
GT Member

I drove the hell out of my 09 in the winter with the stocker wheels/tires....but the new one is staying in the garage and I'll running a beater in the crappy weather
Old 9/9/11, 07:36 AM
GT Member

I've got a set of 255/45 18 Nokian Hakkapeliitta R mounted on GT500 wheels that I ran last winter. Not the cheapest solution but they were very good and show virtually no ware after 1 season. The Mustang handled the cold, snowy Edmonton winter much better then I expected. I only got it stuck once and that was due to a poor decision on picking a parking spot. I know alot of people say to store your car for the winter but I bought mine to drive and that's what I do
Old 9/9/11, 08:29 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by linelock
I've got a set of 255/45 18 Nokian Hakkapeliitta R mounted on GT500 wheels that I ran last winter. Not the cheapest solution but they were very good and show virtually no ware after 1 season. The Mustang handled the cold, snowy Edmonton winter much better then I expected. I only got it stuck once and that was due to a poor decision on picking a parking spot. I know alot of people say to store your car for the winter but I bought mine to drive and that's what I do
How much did that run you? Im not storing my car, thats stupid. I bought it to drive it. Its not a ferrari.
Old 9/9/11, 08:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My stock Pirelli all-season tires did "okay" in the snow last year, but I didn't go through more than an inch or so of snow. This car is surprisingly easy to drive "gently" when it's slick out.

When I wear these out, I'll be putting Blizzak snow tires on the stock rims, then getting a set of wider rims+tires for "summer only" use.

I have a set of winter tires/wheels for my other car (2002 Miata) and it easily handles 4" of snow.
Old 9/9/11, 09:00 AM
GT Member

I bought the wheels from blue oval for $700 us and the tires locally were about $350 cad each including mounting. Plus I think they charged me $175 for pressure sensors. I'm pretty sure you can get both the wheels and tires cheaper if you shop around. But being in Canada and the snow threatening I didn't have a lot of options at the time.
Old 9/9/11, 09:17 AM
GTR Member

Get yourself a set of GT500 vert wheels for $600, a set of Blizzaks, and don't worry about the TPMS.
Old 9/9/11, 10:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

ran on stock pirelli's the last 2 winters, did "ok" as mentioned before, this past winter was pretty rough snowwise tho almost got stuck only twice total and that was during the worst storm in morning commute, stop light on a hill took some fishtailing and left right steering to find a line where the traction control could scavenge some grip. I am more nervous about this winter because with 30k miles there is alot less tread than i started with. I would buy winters except I am going to trade up in the spring
Old 9/9/11, 10:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Brembo cars don't have the PZero Nero all season found on the other cars. The PZero rubber on the brembo cars is not designed to operate in near freezing temperatures and is extremely dangerous if operated on snow/ice.

Although I realize not everyone has means to go the beater route, that's what I suggest as well. If you can pull together another 1500 or so you can find yourself a decent reliable beater and you can keep the stang off the harsh salted roads.

If not, I would go with the GT500 wheels and a set of blizzaks. It'll be about the same cost as just doing snow tires on the brembo 19's.
Old 9/9/11, 10:32 AM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
These should work.
Attached Thumbnails For those that run their stangs in winter-mud_mustang-2.jpg  
Old 9/9/11, 11:21 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by xlover
ran on stock pirelli's the last 2 winters, did "ok" as mentioned before, this past winter was pretty rough snowwise tho almost got stuck only twice total and that was during the worst storm in morning commute, stop light on a hill took some fishtailing and left right steering to find a line where the traction control could scavenge some grip. I am more nervous about this winter because with 30k miles there is alot less tread than i started with. I would buy winters except I am going to trade up in the spring
Slight hijack here but if you have run your car the pat couple winters relying on the traction control for grip, check the condition of your rear brake pads. The factory TCS/ASM uses the rear brakes to control wheel spin & yaw.

In response to the OP, a decent set of GT500 18" rims can be bought new for ~$600, and a set of blizzaks for those wheels should run you ~$800. That brings you right within your $1500 budget. I'm betting with some searching craigslist, you can find a set of older GT500 rims for cheaper, and maybe even luck out and find someone selling a winter tire set they had for their mustang.
Old 9/9/11, 11:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Planeswalker
These should work.
Whyd u post a pic of my car???
Old 9/9/11, 11:50 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Black_5.0
I need your help. What are you guys with brembo setup running in winter? What is a good winter tire and what specs will grip the best? Im looking to spend about 1k on tires and perhaps 1.5k if i can get some gt500 wheels and put some winter tires on it. Any thoughts from those that run something similar?

Check out Tire Rack. You can pick a tire they recommend or do a comparison yourself. I ordered the Ford SVT wheels (18") and four Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60's (235/50-18). The car is a joy to drive with these tires. And, they are quiet on the highway, which is a plus with full winters. I did go with the TPS since I did not want to look at the light, but this is a personal preference. The plus side, they come mounted and balanced. I put them on the day UPS delivered them. Total cost to the house: $1821.00

Here is a link to Tire Rack:

http://www.tirerack.com/index.jsp?s_...S|e|6698781973&

Last edited by SD CALSPCL; 9/9/11 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Edit
Old 9/9/11, 12:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by JScottGT
Slight hijack here but if you have run your car the pat couple winters relying on the traction control for grip, check the condition of your rear brake pads. The factory TCS/ASM uses the rear brakes to control wheel spin & yaw.

In response to the OP, a decent set of GT500 18" rims can be bought new for ~$600, and a set of blizzaks for those wheels should run you ~$800. That brings you right within your $1500 budget. I'm betting with some searching craigslist, you can find a set of older GT500 rims for cheaper, and maybe even luck out and find someone selling a winter tire set they had for their mustang.
for the 5-10 days of the year i had to drive in snow i only noticed the traction control on in significant amounts during hill starts or starts from a stop during heavy snow fall where the roads could not be cleared/plowed at all. probably took a 3-4 months off the life of the pads compared to living in a no snow climate.
Old 9/9/11, 01:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

I had a set of Blizzaks and they are downright AMAZING in snow, they wear really fast on dry pavement though.
Old 9/9/11, 04:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Planeswalker
These should work.
Nice
Old 9/9/11, 06:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Black_5.0
Ok, You can get any wheel you want; no big issue. I live in Md and drive my 11 GT500 during dry, clear winter days. I drove my 07 GT500 in the winter, as well. I did a ton of research on all weather tires for a car that has 550 HP. On my 07, I had Michelin Pilot Sports All Seasons. They were very good and I had no problems with hooking up in cold temps. On my 11, I've mounted Continental Extreme Contact DWS's and am very pleased with them after driving through last winter. They were every bit as good as the Michelins and considerably less expensive. I drive these tires year round and they hook up better than the stock Goodyears. I sold the Goodyears. Many of the GT500 people on the other forums took my advise and also bought the Continentals with very positive results. Use our collective experience and buy the Continentals. They are the best A/S radials available for these high HP cars. Check the customer reviews on the Tire Rack web site and you will see I'm right.

Last edited by 03reptile; 9/9/11 at 06:42 PM.
Old 9/9/11, 08:16 PM
GT Member

I bought winter rims and Blizzak LM-60's (23550R18) and drove my Mustang nearly every day all winter. Note to self, stay home for the first real snowfall and let the other drivers slide around in it. Then go out and show yourself what the onboard systems will do for you.
Old 9/10/11, 09:12 AM
GT Member

Like linelock said- Nokian Hakkapeliitta's
I would never buy another winter tire brand, these are the best.

Quick Reply: For those that run their stangs in winter