The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2010-2014 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/)
-   -   Is there a similar tune to Ford Track cal!? (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/there-similar-tune-ford-track-cal-543540/)

venom800tt 3/2/17 08:29 AM

Is there a similar tune to Ford Track cal!?

Hey guys I'm interested to get a tune for my car however I really like the oem Track cal features from Ford, specially launch control. I already have a SCT X3 tuner and don't want to spend extra money getting Ford's pro cal. So my question is does anyone know any tuner that have the exact same feature as the Track cal!? I know in Bama tune you can set launch control manually from the handheld but I like to be able to set my lope idle, launch control from my steering wheel with the integrated 4" display like the track cal. Cheers

14Glassback 3/2/17 07:19 PM

Can you sell the SCT and get the Pro Cal? I love the Track Tune! It is awesome. But there are down sides also. The power gains are not as much with other tunes. And it does limit what mods you can have. But I have really enjoyed it.

shaneyusa 3/2/17 07:54 PM

^^ +1

Feel the same about my Trackey tune also. Same as Glassback.

Ford Racing Pro Cal is basically the same tune, but with the Trackey tune you get to choose between stock and the tune. With Pro Cal you are locked in to just a single tune.

venom800tt 3/3/17 01:14 PM

Ok thanks. That's not a bad idea, I'll try to see how much I can get for my X3, and I'm not looking for that much power right now, I only have flowmaster outlaws and k&n drop in filter as mods and not planing to do anything crazy at least for a while.
My only concern is the lope idle that I've been reading which can kill your cats but again I'll only use it occasionally.

venom800tt 3/3/17 01:40 PM

Just some info I got talking tic the Ford racing guy. He said the lopey idle is safe for the cats is programmed to change the cam timing only when the car is idle so I can drive it right after with no issue. + i asked that I they can turn off the lope idle as default and activate it when needed but they can't without re-writing the entire program.
last thing it kinda sucks that they only sell it as a kit with the k&n filter, because I already have the filter and just want the tuner. Arghhh so much obstacle to just get to the tune itself.

gjcavana 3/3/17 03:19 PM

My two cents, After a couple of years with the Trackey I still love it. It's not a huge power gain but the little things like lope idle and engine braking make it a blast to just drive around town.

berzerk_1980 3/4/17 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by gjcavana
My two cents, After a couple of years with the Trackey I still love it. It's not a huge power gain but the little things like lope idle and engine braking make it a blast to just drive around town.

I think it's a significant power gain for $300. It's mostly low end torque though which is pretty fun.

venom800tt 3/4/17 06:53 AM

I put the SCT on eBay and will see if i can get enough so I can get the Track cal. With summer coming soon I can't wait to try the new tune

Jazzman442 3/4/17 08:07 AM

Track Key is awesome. Changes the way the car feels, sounds and performs.

TheReaper 3/4/17 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by venom800tt (Post 7009760)
I put the SCT on eBay and will see if i can get enough so I can get the Track cal. With summer coming soon I can't wait to try the new tune

Are you sure the Trackey Tune will work on your 2013 ?

venom800tt 3/5/17 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by TheReaper (Post 7009819)
Are you sure the Trackey Tune will work on your 2013 ?

Not the Trackey, thats for 14.5 Models only, Im going with the Track Cal that is basically the same thing with less flexibility.

berzerk_1980 3/5/17 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by venom800tt
Not the Trackey, thats for 14.5 Models only, Im going with the Track Cal that is basically the same thing with less flexibility.

More flexibility IMO:

Pros:

Wider variety of applications
Can still buy it
Can manually switch tunes
Reinstallation doesn't require PCM removal

Cons:
Key doesn't change tune

I'm glad I have the TracKey but now that dealers cannot reload the tune without sending the PCM to Ford Performance I'm terrified I may one day need a reflash and my car will be down a week.

Also venom, I saw your post for sale or trade of your current tuner. Check with Ford Performance, but I don't think you can transfer their tunes to another car (meaning you'd have to trade for one that was never loaded/registered/whatever they do to lock it)

venom800tt 3/5/17 03:38 PM

Thanks a lot berzerk for your input. I never realized once the tune gets locked if it can be used on other cars, so I'll definitely check with them ����.
So how do you like your Trackey! Do u notice a lot of difference? I like the fact you can still use your cats with their tune since I won't go off-road pipe.

berzerk_1980 3/5/17 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by venom800tt
Thanks a lot berzerk for your input. I never realized once the tune gets locked if it can be used on other cars, so I'll definitely check with them ����.
So how do you like your Trackey! Do u notice a lot of difference? I like the fact you can still use your cats with their tune since I won't go off-road pipe.

I like it. I think I said in an earlier post it was like $300. Actually more like $400 installed.

1. The lopey idle is fun.
2. The launch control works great but I don't drag race.
3. I can't afford to track this car but if I did the pit lane speed control works great.
4. There is a power difference. It's difficult to see on paper because the peak numbers are not very different. But, there is noticeable torque improvement below 4k.
5. The engine braking and pedal mapping are very responsive. So much so that they can be exhausting on longer drives. I usually use the stock key for regular driving.

venom800tt 3/9/17 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by berzerk_1980 (Post 7009845)
More flexibility IMO:

Pros:

Wider variety of applications
Can still buy it
Can manually switch tunes
Reinstallation doesn't require PCM removal

Cons:
Key doesn't change tune

I'm glad I have the TracKey but now that dealers cannot reload the tune without sending the PCM to Ford Performance I'm terrified I may one day need a reflash and my car will be down a week.

Also venom, I saw your post for sale or trade of your current tuner. Check with Ford Performance, but I don't think you can transfer their tunes to another car (meaning you'd have to trade for one that was never loaded/registered/whatever they do to lock it)

Just talked to the FRPP guys again and they said as long as we have the same PCM part # the tune will work, he wanted the VIN for both cars to confirm it but I didnt have another VIN to compare mine to.

berzerk_1980 3/9/17 07:12 PM

Neat. Good to know.