Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Test drove a 2011 GT today, ride quality ???

Search this Thread

Old 8/1/10, 10:57 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eric n
I have the brembo package and love it. I haven't driven a 3 series lately, but have ridden in a few and found the ride to be similarly smooth. Yesterday I gave a ride to my niece's boyfriend. His mom has a 335 and he said the mustang seemed smoother. Who can say.

I would like to lower the car, but am concerned about harshness. My 05 GT was dropped and I had run flats on it. Way too f'n harsh! Don't want that experience again.
Same as this.

I found the ride a little rough at first - but after I got about 1000 miles on it - the shifting and ride seem way smoother. I drive it everyday for work and I find the ride to be excellent.

I do find that when I use Sport Mode (TC) the steering and ride get quite a bit stiffer - but I am not a professional driver so this may be my imagination - either way, this car is the best thing I have ever purchased!

Buy it and enjoy it!
Old 8/1/10, 11:31 AM
Bullitt Member

I for one, absolutely love the brembo pkg. Ride is a bit rough but what do you expect really? Nothing better than ripping around a banked on-ramp at revs and doing a good clip, and feeling 100% planted and firm. The rubber is amazing too, regardless of what some people say it was 100% worth it for me.

I may be crying when it comes to replacing rubber and pads but for now it's ear-to-ear
Old 8/1/10, 11:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Magnamover
You will find in the future that the nonbrembo GT is faster due to ease in spinning the tires.
Thanks for the good laugh on this one.
Old 8/1/10, 11:54 AM
V6 Member

Driver72, I think he is actually implying that there is less rolling resistance vs the other tires. Not sure if that is accurate but that is his assertion.

BTW, I see you were a 335 owner in the past. How do you like living with the GT?
Old 8/1/10, 01:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

I think he was referring to the fact that the non brembo package folks might be more willing to abuse their tires considering they cost about half the price of the brembo package tires. I'm more than willing to bet most brembo package people have NO CLUE how much those white elephant tires cost.
Old 8/1/10, 02:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
And there is one glaring inaccuracy in that list, rear calipers are single piston, not four piston.

And I believe the springs are the same as a non-brembo GT, just different struts/shocks plus GT500 rear lower control arms.
The springs have different parts numbers on the Brembo Cars. The base car also has GT500 LCA.
Old 8/1/10, 02:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SVTJayC
I think he was referring to the fact that the non brembo package folks might be more willing to abuse their tires considering they cost about half the price of the brembo package tires. I'm more than willing to bet most brembo package people have NO CLUE how much those white elephant tires cost.
Yeah....Seems to be a drag racing mentality with this car...Hey, I'm new to this car...Just not my Hot button. I'm guessing guys that choose the Brembo package are more interested in Handling and braking, than burning off tires in a 1/4 mile run. I was. White Elephant tires? Hardly, if you put your priorities on the handling and performance aspects of this package..1/4 mile guys don't need to waste their money on better tires and handling..
Old 8/1/10, 02:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by jimb05
Driver72, I think he is actually implying that there is less rolling resistance vs the other tires. Not sure if that is accurate but that is his assertion.

BTW, I see you were a 335 owner in the past. How do you like living with the GT?
Yeah I was deep into the BMW 335i scene from Dec. 2006 (335i sedan) until I sold my coupe in September 2009).

I don't have my 11 GT yet, it's being built this week so I should have it in late August. I've owned 3 5.0's back in late 80's to early 90's and it was time to get another.

I know and don't expect the GT to have the BMW levels of fit and finish, nor the interior ergos either. But the GT is $15k less.
The GT is equal to the 335i with a JB3 tune only on 91 Octane in a straight line and actually can outhandle it stock for stock too (nearly M3 levels stock).

Part of it for me was to get a V8 again. Though my tuned 335i's had V8 power levels, there is no mistaking the V8 sound and rumble as well as the instant power of a NA V8.
I know many over at the BMW boards are anxiously waiting to hear my feedback and so forth, as I know there are a handful of the guys over there who may very well be following in my footsteps and leaving the wonderful N54 335i's to hit up the less expensive but fun 11 GT. Like yourself many have asked me about it and want to meet up with me to check it out after I get one too. So that will probably happen as well. I'll keep you posted here and over there as well.

Doubt they are unaware.
Enthusiasts are usually keenly aware of their cost. But you know they have no obligation to replace the tires with the same expensive set of P Zeros if burnouts are their cup of tea.
Old 8/1/10, 02:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by jimb05
I should reintroduce myself. I signed up here in 2005 when the s197 came out but never ended up buying one. I am now in the market again (maybe) so I've been very interested in the 2011 GT. I currently drive a JB3 tuned 335i coupe (6MT) so finding a vehicle with comparable levels of performance, driving feel, and overall fun is a bit difficult.
Went back today and drove a Brembo car....and it drove horribly. The ride was rough and jarring (jittery really). It felt like the tires either had 60psi or there was a suspension or balancing issue. If you are familiar with "tire slap", this car felt like it had it on all four wheels. Swapped to another Brembo car and it ws much better but still a bit jittery and jarring, although to a much lesser degree. Salesman felt like there was something definitely wrong with the first car but not so sure with the second.
Go back with a tire gauge and adjust both cars to the recommended pressure in the door jambs. They are usually shipped with the pressure high and most dealers dont lower them. I think its because they think the car may sit for a while. While you are at it do the same with a standard car. I do find I prefer the standard car with a little more psi than factory recommended. I run 38 psi front and 35 psi rear (Cold) on the street.

My personal opinion is that a set of Koni STR.T will address the floaty sensation of the standard cars (Roughly $400) where as I might want more damping with the stickier tires on the Brembo (Koni Sports $750). I would talk to Sam Strano at stranoparts as he knows whats what and is currently running a Brembo Car in an attempt to capture his umpteenth National Championship. He usual recommends a shock change only for most street cars.

PS As its a daily driver (Dont like the high wear and skating when cold of Summer Rubber) my car will likely get 255 All-Seasons + Koni STR.T at first tire change.

Last edited by Gene K; 8/1/10 at 02:27 PM.
Old 8/1/10, 08:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Modshack
Yeah....Seems to be a drag racing mentality with this car...Hey, I'm new to this car...Just not my Hot button. I'm guessing guys that choose the Brembo package are more interested in Handling and braking, than burning off tires in a 1/4 mile run. I was. White Elephant tires? Hardly, if you put your priorities on the handling and performance aspects of this package..1/4 mile guys don't need to waste their money on better tires and handling..
I'm plenty interested in handling. I'm also plenty interested in a car that won't shake itself (or myself for that matter) to pieces on my way to work. What im acutely disinterested in, is shopping for 19 inch throw away wheels to use for snow tires since the brembo brakes will not fit anything less. Further, I'm not at all interested in those Porsche Cayenne knock off rims the brembo package comes with.
Old 8/1/10, 08:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm plenty interested in handling. I'm also plenty interested in a car that won't shake itself (or myself for that matter) to pieces on my way to work. What im acutely disinterested in, is shopping for 19 inch throw away wheels to use for snow tires since the brembo brakes will not fit anything less. Further, I'm not at all interested in those Porsche Cayenne knock off rims the brembo package comes with.
I think the correct 18's will fit just fine. They did on the GT500.
Old 8/1/10, 09:04 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are a number of 18" wheels that will fit the brembo brakes.

Ford is selling 2010 GT500 18's for $189 each, late model resto has 18" SVE 10th anniversary wheels that will fit and there are others that will fit too.
Old 8/2/10, 12:00 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
There are a number of 18" wheels that will fit the brembo brakes.

Ford is selling 2010 GT500 18's for $189 each, late model resto has 18" SVE 10th anniversary wheels that will fit and there are others that will fit too.
do you have a link for those?
Old 8/2/10, 04:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by brycerichert
do you have a link for those?
Buy Ford Racing has the 18 x 9.5 2010 GT500 'Vert Wheels for $699 a set. OEM not Copies!

http://www.buyfordracing.com/shop/pr...id=755cPath=85
Old 8/2/10, 10:57 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

I first test drove a 2011 GT with the Brembo package, and the suspension felt too soft, too isolated to me. It reminded me of a Infinity G37 sedan that I test drove a couple of years ago.

Then I read an article that mentioned that the springs/shocks are different between the Brembo/ non Brembo cars. So when mine finally came in even though I had cancelled the order I thought, "well maybe I should test drive in case it feels different?" So I went over and took it out for a test drive by myself and the car that I ordered felt stiffer, with more of a road feel to it then the Brembo car had. So, I deceided to take it after all! lol

You would think it would say in Ford's order guide that the Brembo package comes with different springs/shocks. All's it says is "Unique Electronic Stability Control® (ESC) Tuning"
Old 8/2/10, 12:25 PM
GT Member

Great Thread!

I've been having ride quality issues with my '08 ever since I bought it. I'm currently running adjustable Koni shocks/struts with the 2011 Brembo springs (upgraded recently) and it still feels like crap on bumpy roads. I have no idea what it is. I've tried Ultralite springs, which made things even worse. I'm wondering if the springs are my problem, or whether it's an issue with my tires. I've driven my friend's '08 Bullitt and it does not seem to have the same issues. The feel of the car is completely different from mine.

Here are the setups I've tried:
1) Stock '08 springs and shocks
2) Stock '08 springs and Tokico D-specs
3) Steeda Ultralites and Tokico D-specs
4) Steeda Ultralites and Koni Yellows
5) 2011 "Brembo package" springs and Koni Yellows (current setup). I'm told that the 2011 Brembo springs are 25% stiffer in the rear than the non-Brembo (2010 Track Pack springs).

I'm increasingly frustrated because I feel like no matter what I do, the car feels exactly the same. The car bounces at every little jolt, almost to the point that my butt's coming out of the seat. My tire pressure is at 32PSI all the way around, exactly what the door sticker advises.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 8/2/10, 12:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by JCC07

I'm increasingly frustrated because I feel like no matter what I do, the car feels exactly the same. The car bounces at every little jolt, almost to the point that my butt's coming out of the seat. My tire pressure is at 32PSI all the way around, exactly what the door sticker advises.

Have you tried dialing down the shocks? Sounds like too much compression damping..
Old 8/2/10, 02:36 PM

Checking the tire pressure would be a good first step, especially given that the ostensibly identical Brembo cars you tested felt noticeably different. The Brembo cars will, of course ride more firmly with their stiffer suspension (shocks and/or springs) along with the stiffer, lower profile tires.

A bit of it might be the lively axle out back. While Ford has done remarkable things in making this pig fly, in the end, physics is still physics and any live axle is saddled with a huge amount of unsprung weight which will inevitably result in more of ride/handling trade off than the IRS you're used to in your Bimmer. However, given that you indicated that both the front and back ends are a bit flinty, and the front suspension design is not dissimilar to the 335i, tire pressure may, again, account for some of this.

It sounds like the shocks on the Brembo cars could perhaps use a touch more tuning in dealing with both high frequency (tire slap) and low frequency (float) operations. Sounds like the former's a bit too dialed up while the latter could be dialed up a bit more. Perhaps some quality aftermarket shocks would improve things here, along with a good tire gauge.
Old 8/2/10, 08:26 PM
V6 Member

Thanks all. I'll take a tire guage for the next test drive.

I appreciate all of the info you guys are providing. This is a great site.

Keep the info coming...thanks!
Old 8/2/10, 10:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by JCC07
Great Thread!

I've been having ride quality issues with my '08 ever since I bought it. I'm currently running adjustable Koni shocks/struts with the 2011 Brembo springs (upgraded recently) and it still feels like crap on bumpy roads. I have no idea what it is. I've tried Ultralite springs, which made things even worse. I'm wondering if the springs are my problem, or whether it's an issue with my tires. I've driven my friend's '08 Bullitt and it does not seem to have the same issues. The feel of the car is completely different from mine.

Here are the setups I've tried:
1) Stock '08 springs and shocks
2) Stock '08 springs and Tokico D-specs
3) Steeda Ultralites and Tokico D-specs
4) Steeda Ultralites and Koni Yellows
5) 2011 "Brembo package" springs and Koni Yellows (current setup). I'm told that the 2011 Brembo springs are 25% stiffer in the rear than the non-Brembo (2010 Track Pack springs).

Yikes, who told you that the Brembo rear springs were 25% stiffer? That's pretty much aftermarket spring rate, which is cool, don't get me wrong. I am curious as to what the spring rates really are.

Quick Reply: Test drove a 2011 GT today, ride quality ???