2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Sudden Loss of Coolant on 2011 V6

Search this Thread

Old 3/28/14, 08:45 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sudden Loss of Coolant on 2011 V6

My wife's 2011 V6 Mustang MCA overheated while driving home last night, to the point where the gauge turns red, which easily caught my attention. I often check fluid levels, so this loss had to be rather sudden, but not enough that it was obvious. There is coolant residue with some puddling in the lower areas below where the oil filter is located. The puddled fluid appears somewhat red colored, like the coolant is contaminated, possibly with ATF. It took over a gallon of coolant (50/50 mix) to bring the level back to normal. I started the car without the A/C on and let it idle until the radiator fan started cycling and I don't see any leak. Perhaps it has something related to the transmission cooler and doesn't happen until the ATF reaches a certain temperature.

I'll have to bring it into Ford for diagnosis and repair. The car has only 34,189 miles, but it's just outside of three years as far as the factory warranty goes. Maybe Deysha can help. It does have Ford's ESP coverage with a deductible, if it's anything major.

Update: It's at the dealership now. They gave me a rental and sent me on my way. Hopefully they will know something by the EOD.

Last edited by SoFlaBoss; 3/28/14 at 10:37 AM.
Old 3/28/14, 11:14 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by SoFlaBoss
My wife's 2011 V6 Mustang MCA overheated while driving home last night, to the point where the gauge turns red, which easily caught my attention. I often check fluid levels, so this loss had to be rather sudden, but not enough that it was obvious. There is coolant residue with some puddling in the lower areas below where the oil filter is located. The puddled fluid appears somewhat red colored, like the coolant is contaminated, possibly with ATF. It took over a gallon of coolant (50/50 mix) to bring the level back to normal. I started the car without the A/C on and let it idle until the radiator fan started cycling and I don't see any leak. Perhaps it has something related to the transmission cooler and doesn't happen until the ATF reaches a certain temperature.

I'll have to bring it into Ford for diagnosis and repair. The car has only 34,189 miles, but it's just outside of three years as far as the factory warranty goes. Maybe Deysha can help. It does have Ford's ESP coverage with a deductible, if it's anything major.

Update: It's at the dealership now. They gave me a rental and sent me on my way. Hopefully they will know something by the EOD.
Any news?
Old 3/29/14, 03:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Power train warranty's are 5/60. If it is mechanical it should be covered.
Old 3/29/14, 09:31 PM
Team Mustang Source

It turned out to be the water pump that was leaking, and they replaced it under the powertrain warranty. All seems fine now. I'm just surprised that it failed so soon at 34,189 miles. Supposedly there was no ATF in the coolant, nor coolant in the transmission, so all is good.
Old 3/30/14, 05:03 AM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've read here that others with the V6 have had water pump failures at an early mileage age; seems these issues come from 3.7's in the north though.

Last edited by Bucko; 3/30/14 at 05:06 AM.
Old 3/30/14, 05:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Water pumps are kind of strange. They either last forever or fail like yours at an early age. My buddy had an 05 GTO and his water pump failed early at about 35K.
Old 3/30/14, 06:21 AM
Team Mustang Source

Thanks Bucko and 2014GHIGGT for your input.
Old 3/31/14, 09:13 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Glad to learn this was taken care of for you, SoFlaBoss!

Deysha
Old 3/31/14, 10:38 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by FordService
Glad to learn this was taken care of for you, SoFlaBoss!

Deysha

Thank you for reading, Deysha! Yes, the service I received at Pines Ford was excellent!
Old 3/31/14, 02:35 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Thank you for reading, Deysha! Yes, the service I received at Pines Ford was excellent!
That is great, SoFlaBoss!

Deysha
Old 3/31/14, 02:38 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bucko
I've read here that others with the V6 have had water pump failures at an early mileage age; seems these issues come from 3.7's in the north though.
Fairly high failure rate on the 3.7 compared to normal.