The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2010-2014 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/)
-   -   Steering Feel (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/steering-feel-484216/)

fritzOSU03 6/10/10 07:35 AM

Steering Feel

1 Attachment(s)
There is a thread on AFM right now about steering feel adjustability but I think better feedback will be available from the masters here at TMS :hail:. According to some 2011 Mustang literature that was released at some point, the EPAS has (should have had) adjustable steering settings including standard, comfort, and sport. Can anyone with a 2011 confirm?

kierankelly 6/10/10 08:40 AM

I've gone through the options a few times while switching the interior lighting, and I've never seen that option before.

I'll take a look tonight and see if it's there if no one else gets to it today for you.

RickyD 6/10/10 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by fritzOSU03 (Post 5888205)
There is a thread on AFM right now about steering feel adjustability but I think better feedback will be available from the masters here at TMS :hail:. According to some 2011 Mustang literature that was released at some point, the EPAS has (should have had) adjustable steering settings including standard, comfort, and sport. Can anyone with a 2011 confirm?

Maybe it is automatically adjusted when changing the traction mode ?

RandyW 6/10/10 12:37 PM

I've never read that it's adjustable. It would be interesting if tuners in the future would allow you to adjust this.

Gene K 6/10/10 01:53 PM

I read at one point that the Brembo Cars were calibrated differently but dont know that their was any truth to it.

Bigjohns97 6/10/10 01:55 PM

I've never seen that setting when playing with my color.

Boomer 6/10/10 02:01 PM

Where'd you find that photo?

stangfoeva 6/10/10 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by RickyD (Post 5888309)
Maybe it is automatically adjusted when changing the traction mode ?

could be, that would make sense

Originally Posted by Gene K (Post 5888490)
I read at one point that the Brembo Cars were calibrated differently but dont know that their was any truth to it.

they are

Great find OP!

I've never seen this mentioned before...

Ebony5.0 6/10/10 02:05 PM

It's not in the 2011 owner's manual.

fritzOSU03 6/10/10 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Boomer (Post 5888496)
Where'd you find that photo?

I got that picture HERE. It came from a post on AFM. It's obviously a premium Mustang gauge face which is why it got my attention. I'd be willing to bet that this functionality is in the can right next to the homelink transmitter. Too bad. :dunno:

Automagically 6/10/10 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by fritzOSU03 (Post 5888205)

I just wonder if anyone can follow up on this or the person that had the pre-production car? It would be very interesting to know. Maybe even give Ford a call about it.

stangfoeva 6/10/10 02:19 PM

photoshop or pre-production perhaps?

Automagically 6/10/10 02:20 PM

Just saw this a couple pages later: Quoted from the AFM site

"Well, it does... sort of. Neither the 2010 or the 2011 display actual RPMs by default. What you saw in that picture was the vehicle in 'Engineering Test Mode'. Your 2010 has it too. It's what we use when we're calibrating the vehicle. It gives us a bunch of different information that most people wouldn't use, or find un-interesting.

You can bring it up on your car (2010) by doing the following:

(From the vehicle completely off--ignition off, key out, door open and closed to kill the accessory delay)

1.) Press and hold the 'Setup' and 'Reset' buttons for the message center (located near the headlamp controls)

2.) While keeping these buttons pressed, start the vehicle.

3.) When the message center displays 'ENGINEERING TEST MODE', release the buttons. (the first test will be a gauge test, so don't freak out when the gauge needles go nuts and make weird noise)

4.) You can scroll through the different engineering readout displays and tests by pressing the Reset button.

5.) To end Engineering Test Mode, turn off the vehicle ignition, and open the door (to kill the accessory delay).

The vehicle will start up on 'regular' mode next time, unless you do the button press-and-hold again.

By FordEngineer

fritzOSU03 6/10/10 02:24 PM

Ok, we need a test dummy with a 2011. Who's got their keys handy? :grin:

Originally Posted by Automagically (Post 5888512)
Just saw this a couple pages later: Quoted from the AFM site

"Well, it does... sort of. Neither the 2010 or the 2011 display actual RPMs by default. What you saw in that picture was the vehicle in 'Engineering Test Mode'. Your 2010 has it too. It's what we use when we're calibrating the vehicle. It gives us a bunch of different information that most people wouldn't use, or find un-interesting.

You can bring it up on your car (2010) by doing the following:

(From the vehicle completely off--ignition off, key out, door open and closed to kill the accessory delay)

1.) Press and hold the 'Setup' and 'Reset' buttons for the message center (located near the headlamp controls)

2.) While keeping these buttons pressed, start the vehicle.

3.) When the message center displays 'ENGINEERING TEST MODE', release the buttons. (the first test will be a gauge test, so don't freak out when the gauge needles go nuts and make weird noise)

4.) You can scroll through the different engineering readout displays and tests by pressing the Reset button.

5.) To end Engineering Test Mode, turn off the vehicle ignition, and open the door (to kill the accessory delay).

The vehicle will start up on 'regular' mode next time, unless you do the button press-and-hold again.

By FordEngineer

28. 6/10/10 02:34 PM

I thought it self adjusted according to speed and to the drivers style of driving... Something like that anyway..

Automagically 6/10/10 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by 28. (Post 5888521)
I thought it self adjusted according to speed and to the drivers style of driving... Something like that anyway..

The EPAS self adjusts by nibble control but it doesn't adjust your driving style as "Comfort" "Standard" or "Sport" while you are driving. You are in a control mode e.g. Comfort and it adjusts accordingly to that control mode. Comfort may turn easily and broad like an old Lincoln and Sport will be much tighter and make adjustments accordingly.

5.0 6/10/10 03:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I checked it out on the 5.0 Roush we have in stock and there was no adjustability for EPAS(atleast that i tell). The gauge test looks cool and there is a digital tach readout.

06GT 6/10/10 07:06 PM

wo, how u do that?

fritzOSU03 6/10/10 07:08 PM

FWIW, I also tried this on my '08 but it didn't do a thing.

Skotty 6/10/10 07:24 PM

I'm pretty sure it was just an engineering test mule. They may have considered making it a production option, but it didn't make the cut.