2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Smooth start in 1st gone on 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 10/25/10, 05:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got the call: Ford Engineering wants the dealer to remove the transmission and examine the pressure plate bolts and inspect for clutch damage. I'll know more tomorrow.
Old 10/25/10, 05:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hope you get this cleared up quickly. Did they give you a loaner I hope?
Old 10/25/10, 05:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Yes, they'll probably have the car a few days so I'm getting a loaner.

Last edited by jmatero; 10/25/10 at 10:54 PM.
Old 10/25/10, 06:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

I can't help but wonder when i hear about these kind of problems about the tranny being made in China, if whether or not it could be quality related as well. I mean i don't get how pressure plate and flywheel bolts can back out when they're supposed to be tightened with torque wrenches and soaked in locktite threadener.
Old 10/25/10, 11:02 PM
Bullitt Member

There are no indications on any of the mustang sites of transmission failures. What ARE being reported are non-pedal-related clutch problems... And pressure plate bolts backing out causing them.
Old 10/26/10, 12:05 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by montreal ponies
I can't help but wonder when i hear about these kind of problems about the tranny being made in China, if whether or not it could be quality related as well. I mean i don't get how pressure plate and flywheel bolts can back out when they're supposed to be tightened with torque wrenches and soaked in locktite threadener.
That was the point of the posts I had seen about the clutch pressure plate bolts, that the had NOT been properly torqued when installed.

Nothing to do with the transmission.
Old 10/26/10, 04:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by jmatero
Just got the call: Ford Engineering wants the dealer to remove the transmission and examine the pressure plate bolts and inspect for clutch damage. I'll know more tomorrow.
That sounds like a great first step, please keep us informed.

Something strange I've started to notice is that I have to have my clutch pedal on the floor to start the car, otherwise the clutch safety switch won't engage. When I first got the car, it was like most other manual cars I've driven, clutch pedal depressed to something less that fully to the floor was sufficient.
Old 10/26/10, 02:18 PM
Bullitt Member

OMG I noticed that too! Turn my key and nothing... realized the clutch had to hit the floor for it to engage.
Old 10/26/10, 02:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
That was the point of the posts I had seen about the clutch pressure plate bolts, that the had NOT been properly torqued when installed.

Nothing to do with the transmission.
I know it has nothing to do with the tranny being made in China, but it just goes to show how poor of a quality control this car had.
Just found out today that the screws i use on my everyday job to do my installations are made in Tai-Wonnnn. Go figure.
Old 10/26/10, 03:28 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm really OCD when it comes to quality and my car but I'm definitely not ready to trash the 2011 Mustang or Ford for this issue. It's unfortunate, but in the end, it's a machine made by man... and almost every other bolt on the car appears to be tight as all heck. We'll see. In the end, I'd be happier to learn it was a couple of loose bolts vs. a motor or tranny issue. If it's the bolts, they replace the damaged clutch, and tighten the bolts correctly.. problem solved
Old 10/26/10, 03:39 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That's a good (& proper) attitude I think. Reminds me of a friend's slogan for his remodeling business "its just wood, I am not afraid". LOL

Look at how often racers tear into and fix their engines. They're just machines and anything can be fixed. And it sounds like Ford is on it.
Old 10/26/10, 03:39 PM

You're lucky - might've been these Chrysler guys screwing your car together...

Old 10/26/10, 06:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Just got the call:

The pressure plate bolts backed themselves out so the clutch couldn't fully disengage. The pins that align the pressure plate sheared off. SO, they are ordering a whole new flywheel and clutch assembly. In other words, everything between the motor and the tranny is being replaced. The technician said there is a new TSB about this issue and he'll have the details for me tomorrow.
Old 10/26/10, 06:33 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bet you'll sleep good tonight!
Old 10/26/10, 06:33 PM
Team Mustang Source

Just got the call:

The pressure plate bolts backed themselves out so the clutch couldn't fully disengage. The pins that align the pressure plate sheared off. SO, they are ordering a whole new flywheel and clutch assembly. In other words, everything between the motor and the tranny is being replaced. The technician said there is a new TSB about this issue and he'll have the details for me tomorrow.
That would make for the third 2011 Mustang GT TSB so far. One for the belt tensionner that should stop the engine "tick" some are experiencing, another for the clutch pedal assembly going to the floor when at high RPM's and this one for the pressure plate bolts backing out.
Old 10/26/10, 06:52 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just got the call:

Yeah keep us updated. I don't believe I have this issue, but sometimes it is a little rough to shift. If Ford does issue a TSB it'd be nice to take it down to the dealer for some peace of mind.
Old 10/26/10, 07:56 PM
Bullitt Member

When I took delivery, the shifting and clutch action were amazing. Apparently, as the bolts back out, the clutch disengages less and less... Hence the rough shifts at first. The more of us that show up at the dealer with this problem, the better.
Old 10/26/10, 07:59 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seems like there should be a sticky with all the TSB's listed for the 2010 and later cars on here.
Old 10/31/10, 06:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Excellent
Old 11/4/10, 08:11 PM
Bullitt Member

There are no indications on any of the mustang sites of transmission failures. What ARE being reported are non-pedal-related clutch problems... And pressure plate bolts backing out causing them.
Negative. My transmission was grinding into second and third since 600 miles. On Monday they finally acknowledged the issue and replaced the entire transmission (didn't touch the clutch.)

Guess what... no more grinding in second or third!

Now it's grinding into fourth. Five times on the fifteen mile drive home from the dealer.

...and the new transmission whines in every gear.

I've had nothing but disappointment out of this car.

Quick Reply: Smooth start in 1st gone on 5.0