2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Skip Shift...

Search this Thread

Old 6/7/10, 07:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ive only hit it when I attempted to hit it. I have to over-rev the car for the throttle opening (struggling to gain rpm) until 15-17 mph in 1st. If you shift for maximum acceleration for a given throttle opening you would already be in at least 3rd if not 4th. Anything that would have you still have you in 1st at 15-17 mph is to much throttle for it to activate.

The EPA mpg test allows them to shift to 4, 5, 6 at the same speeds as 2, 3, 4 with that little device.
I believe the 2011 GT500 also has skip shift (No Gas Guzzler Tax anymore).

I Love Skip-Shift!
Without skip-shift manuals will cease to exist. Cant stand the mpg penality they would have on the EPA Test (despite the fact they actually get 20% better in the real world).
Old 6/7/10, 07:07 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Source
Well it came on today but still let me shift into second lol, go figure
hmm. is skip shift work like a warning noise then something pops in the message center, or is it just something to keep you from moving the shifter in to 2nd...even though u got it in 2nd lol.
Old 6/7/10, 07:13 PM
Bullitt Member

I didn't hear a noise, I just saw it come up on the dash.
Old 6/7/10, 07:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Red Jay
hmm. is skip shift work like a warning noise then something pops in the message center, or is it just something to keep you from moving the shifter in to 2nd...even though u got it in 2nd lol.
It blocks 2nd and 3rd and directs the shifter toward 4th. As I stated though people that know anything about driving a manual will either have long since shifted to 2nd or be giving it to much throttle in 1st for it to engage. It requires something like less than 10% throttle in 1st and 15-17 mph.

Mine has not engaged once in the first thousand miles (except when I did it intentionally to see if it was broken).

PS No noise.
Old 6/7/10, 07:33 PM

Nope, no noise. You can shift to second with a little nudge to the left on the shifter if you see the message and go to 2nd without issue. I live in an dense urban area chock full of people with no clue how to get where they're going. Consiquently I've found myself behind plenty of people doing the slow I'm lost creep and its engaged on me a few times. It wont skip shift if your RMPs are so low that it'll bog if shifted to 4th. There is a narrow sweet spot for it to hit. Its not a big deal IMHO. I still maintain if you're driving that slow with nearly no acceleration to begin with 99.9% of the time your next move isn't going to be to go WOT. If it was, you would still be in first for another 25MPH. If it is your next move, you either got taken by surprise or should learn to drive a manual and I mean more than just push clutch, shift, release. It did happen to me once when granny turned off and a 2010 GT punched it completely unexpectedly. Freak situation that will probably never happen to me again... still without a downshift I beat him

I just don't see it being that big of an issue to me personally and thats all I can speak to, but I can see how plenty of my fellow manual drivers who love the control would get annoyed. With all the concern though it makes me wonder how many people here go WOT in traffic jams.

Don't mean to offend anyone with this post, its 99% in jest guys, looong day today.
Old 6/7/10, 07:36 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So there you have it. Most all of the OWNERS here say its not a problem. I might not even by the eliminator kit
Old 6/7/10, 11:39 PM
GT Member

Yeah this doesnt sound too bad. Ronn
Old 6/8/10, 03:57 AM
GT Member

The Mustang owners manual doesn't state the conditions where you have the 1-4 shift. It just says that by doing this, fuel economy will be improved.

The Camaro owners manual states this (I'm just comparing here):

This message will come on when:

. The engine coolant temperature is higher than 76°C (169°F),

. The vehicle is going 24 to 31 km/h (15 to 19 mph) and

. The vehicle is at 21 percent throttle or less.
It also states that

Notice: Forcing the shift lever into any gear except 4 (Fourth) when the 1 TO 4 SHIFT message comes on may damage the transmission. Shift only from 1 (First) to 4 (Fourth) when the message comes on.
Old 6/8/10, 06:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there is no skip shift item needed. IMO. im not getting one.
Old 6/8/10, 07:39 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by jokerstars
"What do you mean you don't like us telling you what gear you can choose?"

"Hey, Pardner! I'M the one who signed the law increasing CAFE standards! In between me and Dick killin' innocent Iraqis and shreddin' the EPA rules on oil companies!

"Now I'm gonna have pie! Yum!"
Old 6/8/10, 08:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Wah wah wah BUSH wah wah wah.

Defending bad politics by attacking more bad politics doesn't vindicate your side, my cortically challenged friend.
Old 6/8/10, 08:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

OH LAWD! Here we go again...
Old 6/8/10, 08:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Blame where blame belongs. In any other country, he'd be in jail, or swinging in the wind.

I predict the demise of this thread.
Old 6/8/10, 08:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Stay classy, lefty.
Old 6/8/10, 08:47 AM
GT Member

Y'all are the ones who keep bringing up the politics.

Last time you skewered Pelosi and I responded, you were all in a huff that my response didn't have anything to do with fuel economy regs. Thus, today's post.

I see your dumb Pelosi face and raise you one dumb Dubya face.

(In the mean time, I've ordered the V6, so -- assuming it ever arrives -- I will not have to worry about shift skipping.)
Old 6/8/10, 08:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

What amuses is that you're so into your petty little politics that you can't let a snarky picture or comment go. So pathetic. How many times do we have an idiot on here making fun of "nook-yoo-lar" and no one says anything? Grow up.
Old 6/8/10, 08:50 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dragstart
Blame where blame belongs. In any other country, he'd be in jail, or swinging in the wind.
I'm not a fan of the current administration, but you sure as hell won't find me advocating the lynching of Barack Obama.
Old 6/8/10, 09:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by RandyW
I'm not a fan of the current administration, but you sure as hell won't find me advocating the lynching of Barack Obama.
That's because the party of "tolerance" and "diversity" is really the party of hate. I used to be a lefty back in the day and I went to some anti Iraq war rallies. Tons of of Bush-with-Hitler-stache signs and fake lynchings of Bush/Cheney. The right calls it Bush Derangement Syndrome (BDS, replaced with Palin Derangement Syndrome) and it usually involved them going all frothy at the mouth about BOOOOSH if you critisize "The One".

I went to a tea party rally last fall (coworker dragged me to it) and I saw nothing of the sort. The only people with Obama-**** signs are LaRouchies (who are leftists). Saw a few Obama/Hammer and sickles together, but that's about it. Certainly no insinuations of killing the president.

Last edited by jokerstars; 6/8/10 at 09:09 AM.
Old 6/8/10, 09:15 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Defending bad politics by attacking more bad politics doesn't vindicate your side, my cortically challenged friend.

If you act like a jerk, you have to expect people to be jerky right back. This is the internet, amigo.

As car people, pretty much anything the gubmint has to say about automobiles will be a damper on our fun...this doesn't mean that it's not for the best in the long run. Some of us can see it both ways.

It's pretty amazing that we have 412hp/26mpg Mustangs on the market now.
Old 6/8/10, 09:18 AM
GT Member

That's because the party of "tolerance" and "diversity" is really the party of hate. I used to be a lefty back in the day and I went to some anti Iraq war rallies. Tons of of Bush-with-Hitler-stache signs and fake lynchings of Bush/Cheney.
I saw the same signs that you did at the anti-war rallies, and I agree on that point. I always challenge folks to remember what Nazism was actually about.

On the other hand, I think you might have selective hearing. Glenn Beck, et al, compare Obama to Hitler on the reg. Newtie compared Obama's administration to **** Germany AND Stalin's USSR: http://www.americanprogress.org/issu.../ta060310.html Oy.

On the third hand, I'm glad to hear you attended an anti Iraq war rally. There may be hope for you yet.

And on the fourth hand, perhaps when we each get our cars, we will have less time for political discussions . . . and can give our TMS friends a break??

Quick Reply: Skip Shift...