The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2010-2014 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/)
-   -   Should I order the rear view camera or rear sensing opton, Yes or No (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/should-i-order-rear-view-camera-rear-sensing-opton-yes-no-528417/)

featurecar50 2/19/14 09:58 PM

Should I order the rear view camera or rear sensing opton, Yes or No

Hi,

I just oredred a 2014 Mustang today, The salesman told me I had a couple of days to add any options if I wanted to. I got thinking about the rear camera or the rear sensing option. What do you all think, is it worth the extra money or not. Any opinions? pros or cons?

Thanks

dmhines 2/19/14 10:14 PM

I love my rear camera. Make backing in and parking a piece of cake. If you are getting the EP Nav system its a no brainer to add the rear camera.

puma1552 2/19/14 10:22 PM

I've never been in a car with just a camera, but have been in a car with just the sensors and it's a bit odd.

I'm not sure if one is better than the other - to me it seems like you should either have both or neither, but then that's like a thousand bucks. i passed on both on my order since ill rarely be parallel parking or backing up against anything and if i do, i'm cool with hopping out and seeing how much room i have to keep backing up.

Plim 2/19/14 10:52 PM

Both!

tukatz 2/19/14 11:19 PM

I have an after market rear view camera installed on our '06 Accord sedan and it works very well. I opted to not get the camera on my Mustang because I did not want a spoiler. I did get the backup sensors and they also work really well. I did learn that if you don't get the backup camera in a car without the nav system, your rear view mirror will NOT be the one that can act as the monitor, so you can't add an after market camera without replacing the mirror.

I'm happy with the choice I made for my Mustang.

EastTNMustang 2/20/14 03:07 AM

If you can afford it, highly recommend you get the camera and sensors. I have them on my F-150 and they work great in parking lots for getting into and out of tight parking spots...I just installed an aftermarket camera on my Shelby. Great feature to have...you will only have to use it a few times to appreciate the extra assistance they provide in tight places.

David Young 2/20/14 04:02 AM

Both :)

kcoTiger 2/20/14 04:03 AM

Whatever happened to rear- and side-view mirrors? I'm not about to pay money for something I've been doing successfully for the last 25 years of my life.

V6 Driver 2/20/14 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by kcoTiger (Post 6761431)
Whatever happened to rear- and side-view mirrors? I'm not about to pay money for something I've been doing successfully for the last 25 years of my life.

^^^^^This! Even with my GT500 spoiler I have found the side and rear view mirrors more than adequate. If I have to GOAL (get out and look) I do so. Just my opinion.

Of course if you can afford all the bells and whistles then go for it. If not, use the savings for go fast or go even fast mods.

tbone004 2/20/14 05:24 AM

Keep in mind if you decide to go with a different style spoiler, you will loose your camera that you paid for. I replaced my stock spoiler with a GT500 spoiler and now see a nice little blue screen in my mirror when in reverse.

Sure I can put a aftermarket one on my plate, but now I am buying another camera. My point is think about what your plans are for the car before pulling the trigger.

Varilux 2/20/14 06:39 AM

Since I had already ordered the Electronics Package (with the Nav screen), it seemed a no brainer to check the back-up camera box. The dealer suggested also adding the back up sensors, but I figured "If I can see it- and still hit it- well, that's my own dumb fault!" :D

Anyway, the back-up camera does require you to have a particular rear spoiler (which houses the camera)- but its the best looking spoiler anyway (IMO). One of the side benefits of the back up camera that I didn't think of when I ordered it is its function as a reverse warning! On at least one occasion I've pulled up to a stop light, somehow managed to throw it in reverse rather than first, and been alerted by the fact that the camera came on.

Storm75 2/20/14 07:16 AM

I have both and would do it again - very addicting once you experience it!

PS My wife's Explorer has the beepers only and I miss the camera when driving her vehicle...

Bentnail 2/20/14 08:17 AM

I have beepers on my Freestar......and have thought about adding the sensors system to my Base v6 so when I am backing into a space I don't drag my tailpipes on the curbs....I am still old school and turn around sideways in my seat when I back up, so camera to me personally in a small car such as my Mustang not needed. I a larger vehicle...they are nice...

UOP Shadow 2/20/14 08:25 AM

I say neither.

A lot of these driving / parking aids can enable you to get lazy & your skills diminish.

I turn off the traction control in our 2013 just to ensure that I'm giving the task of driving all the attention it deserves.

devilcaninex 2/20/14 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by kcoTiger (Post 6761431)

:agree:I would save that money for mods like Exhaust or MGW.
Ive been driving for over 20 years with no cameras and sensors.

typesredline 2/20/14 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by devilcaninex (Post 6761497)
:agree:I would save that money for mods like Exhaust or MGW. Ive been driving for over 20 years with no cameras and sensors.

Yeah and I spent 30 yrs of my life writing letters and mailing it to people, who needs email......

The camera and back up sensors are phenomenal and the first two options I wanted. Not only does it add the best looking spoiler but the wow factor of having a little screen in your mirror is great to show friends. It makes backing up so much more safe and reliable. In the mirror alone you will look so close to the car behind you but in the camera you realize you're not close at all thus eliminating the need to back up and turn 5 times.

Also don't forget that the back up sensor pkg comes with an outstanding security pkg. It isn't your run of the mill oem immobilizer. It is the real deal, from interior infra-red sensors to shock sensors to level sensors if someone tries to jack your wheels. An equal aftermarket unit will cost $4-500 minimum and the install will never be as good as oem.

Varilux 2/20/14 08:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I agree that backing into a spot is a basic skill of driving that many have completely lost.

That said, I think this comparison of the rear ends of my '14 vs. '65 Mustang illustrates one of the unfortunate aspects of the modern Mustang design. Namely, the newer models have a lot of "junk in the trunk!"

The rear deck height on a modern Mustang is way taller than the classics- making it hard to see objects behind you. My '65 has no rear sensors- and I park it just fine (my habit is to back into spots vs. pull in wherever possible). However, with the '14 (and our F150) I'm happy to have a camera back there to show me what's going on below my line of sight.

devilcaninex 2/20/14 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by typesredline (Post 6761499)
Yeah and I spent 30 yrs of my life writing letters and mailing it to people, who needs email......

The camera and back up sensors are phenomenal and the first two options I wanted. Not only does it add the best looking spoiler but the wow factor of having a little screen in your mirror is great to show friends. It makes backing up so much more safe and reliable. In the mirror alone you will look so close to the car behind you but in the camera you realize you're not close at all thus eliminating the need to back up and turn 5 times.

Also don't forget that the back up sensor pkg comes with an outstanding security pkg. It isn't your run of the mill oem immobilizer. It is the real deal, from interior infra-red sensors to shock sensors to level sensors if someone tries to jack your wheels. An equal aftermarket unit will cost $4-500 minimum and the install will never be as good as oem.

Relax, if you need or want a camera and sensors etc do it. The OP asked peoples thoughts on if he should order it. I and others said no. I have no need to show friends a cool camera in the mirror and I think the money could be better spent elsewhere. I do agree the spoiler for the camera is nicer than my stock one however, I wouldn't want those sensor circles all over the back of my car.

Mustang Mama 2/20/14 10:39 AM

The camera. It's great for when backing out of parking spaces and you can see what is coming down the aisle.

kingofsting 2/20/14 11:21 AM

My 13 GT came with sensors and I added an aftermarket license plate frame with built-in camera. My dad's Lincoln MKZ has the cam/sensor combo and his Taurus only the sensors. Adding the camera to my stang was a no-brainer and if I had the choice I would have bought the car with both from the factory