The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2010-2014 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/)
-   -   Should i make the switch? (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/should-i-make-switch-538728/)

mustangsally_ 9/7/15 05:02 AM

Should i make the switch?

So I've been thinking about all of these upgrades that I want to do to my 2006 mustang v6 base model. There is absolutely nothing special about this car lol. All ive done to this car is install true dual exhaust and a bbk cold air intake. I love this car to death, got it my junior year in high school. Going on about 5 years with her.
BUT TO BE HONEST the inedible sucks. It's so boring and plane. The engine sucks, 210 horsepower is ehhh, I would really like more and putting money into a v6 engine would cost a good amount. The only thing I really LOVE about it is the body. Also my car is already hitting 120,000,000 witch isn't that bad.
So I've been looking into the 2011 mustang GT and I'm thinking about trading in my 06 one. I'm really liking the horsepower, correct me if I'm wrong but 427 I believe. That's is insane, if I would get it I wouldn't really need to do any improvements at all. Everything is there, tell me what you guys think.

Thanks for reading!!!!

Mr. V 9/7/15 06:20 AM

The 11 is a great car. I have a 12 gt, which is just about the same. It's 412 horsepower, a stiffer chassis, and better interior. The exterior being better is a matter of preference. I drove the 2008 gt, 2010 gt, and the 12 gt. Each had it merits. I was set on the 10 gt because unlike you, I preferred the looks of the 10-12 over any other year but wanted to save money. I figured the new look, stiffer chassis, and reliable 4.6 was the trick. I found a 12 with very low miles for only 3000 more than the 12s is been looking at it. It was a no brainier. This is a long winded way of saying drive all cars that you're considering. Then look at the prices and decide which you can afford and what you fall in love with. Life is too short to drive an average car. Short answer: buy the 11 gt. it rocks.

berzerk_1980 9/7/15 12:11 PM

You're looking at a four year old car, have you considered waiting four more years and getting a 15?

I have and love my 2014, but people rave about the driving characteristics of the 2015.

If not, I think you will like the interior and engine upgrades of the 2011.

Edit: Math problems

mustangsally_ 9/7/15 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by berzerk_1980 (Post 6945183)
You're looking at a four year old car, have you considered waiting four more years and getting a 15? I have and love my 2014, but people rave about the driving characteristics of the 2015. If not, I think you will like the interior and engine upgrades of the 2011. Edit: Math problems

I would never get a 2015 mustang. I really don't like the body at all. Not retro like the older stangs were. I think 2011 is a perfect mix of modern and retro. The new 2015 is way too modern for my taste.

berzerk_1980 9/7/15 08:46 PM

So then yeah, you'll like the 2011-2014. It's still a little cheap inside but much nicer than prior generations and very livable. The 412 hp is nice but it comes in at like 3000 rpm which may be a little different than you might expect. So you do need to drive it before you make up your mind.

Also use the window sticker tool, you need to see what gears are installed and whether it's Brembo/Track Pack. All three really change the driving characteristics of the ones I test drove.

Also there should be plenty on the market to choose from, find one that's ironed how you want it...

YepItsGreen 9/8/15 03:07 AM

You will not be disappointed with the 5.0. It's a monster just make sure your ready for the extra power!! :spaz: and new tires every 4 months lol

mustangsally_ 9/8/15 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by berzerk_1980 (Post 6945262)
So then yeah, you'll like the 2011-2014. It's still a little cheap inside but much nicer than prior generations and very livable. The 412 hp is nice but it comes in at like 3000 rpm which may be a little different than you might expect. So you do need to drive it before you make up your mind. Also use the window sticker tool, you need to see what gears are installed and whether it's Brembo/Track Pack. All three really change the driving characteristics of the ones I test drove. Also there should be plenty on the market to choose from, find one that's ironed how you want it...

I think sometime this weekend I'm going to be test driving a 5.0 I'm so excited!

SpectreH 9/8/15 10:45 AM

My '13 is the first V-8 car I've owned and I love it. I can't see ever going back, although in the distant future if V-8's go away, a twin turbo V-6 wouldn't be bad :)

mustangsally_ 9/9/15 12:59 PM

Have any of you guys ever got attached to your mustang? Cause I know I have! As of right now I am so attached to my 06 v6 it was my first car and my high school car. I'm going on 5 years with her. It's sad that I'm thinking about trading her for a 2011 GT but I have to move on to bigger and better things (5.0)

What do you guys think?

Also when I go to the dealership what should I look for? Also do all GT come with the satin dash?

YepItsGreen 9/9/15 02:49 PM

Yes ive been attached but I feel in love more with my new car!!!

YepItsGreen 9/9/15 02:49 PM

Fell* lol

berzerk_1980 9/9/15 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by mustangsally_ (Post 6945502)
Have any of you guys ever got attached to your mustang? Cause I know I have! As of right now I am so attached to my 06 v6 it was my first car and my high school car. I'm going on 5 years with her. It's sad that I'm thinking about trading her for a 2011 GT but I have to move on to bigger and better things (5.0)

What do you guys think?

Also when I go to the dealership what should I look for? Also do all GT come with the satin dash?

I'm bad about this, I have a tough time letting go of special cars like this.

On the dash trim, hopefully I get this right:

GT: No trim
GT Premium: Matte
GT Premium 401A: Matte with checker pattern (a little like carbon fiber)
GT/CS (402A): Black striped pattern
Boss: Matte charcoal with turned pattern (little circles)
Shelby GT500: Matte

mustangsally_ 9/10/15 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by berzerk_1980 (Post 6945544)
I'm bad about this, I have a tough time letting go of special cars like this.

On the dash trim, hopefully I get this right:

GT: No trim
GT Premium: Matte
GT Premium 401A: Matte with checker pattern (a little like carbon fiber)
GT/CS (402A): Black striped pattern
Boss: Matte charcoal with turned pattern (little circles)
Shelby GT500: Matte

Oh! wow okay, yeah i didnt know that. I Thought the GT comes with the dash upgrade standard... So whats the difference from the V6 and GT???? Is it just a engine upgrade?

from base model v6 to base model GT

Last1 9/10/15 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by berzerk_1980 (Post 6945183)
You're looking at a four year old car, have you considered waiting four more years and getting a 15?

I have and love my 2014, but people rave about the driving characteristics of the 2015.

If not, I think you will like the interior and engine upgrades of the 2011.

Edit: Math problems

A 2011-2014 with upgraded suspension will probably handle better than a stock 2015 I'm guessing...

14BlackGT 9/13/15 01:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sounds like the relationship is going sour. You love it but this sucks and that sucks. If its body style, may I suggest a low mileage '09 GT Premium? However, it has the power of a 11-14 3.7. So your other option might be a 11-14 V6 Premium; it is no slouch. :grin:

I do understand emotional attachment because I had an '85 GT 4V fully optioned with the hood decal. I would still have it but it got totaled :(

Attachment 173873

Joeywhat 9/13/15 01:30 PM

Why not get a newer V6? Plenty of horsepower to have some fun, still get good fuel economy, and will be cheaper. You can probably get at least a year or two newer for the same price as a GT.

Plus the newer V6s have all the same goodies as the GT such as true dual exhaust, 8.8 rear with limited slip, same suspension... Only major difference is the engine.

JoeMidnight 9/14/15 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by mustangsally_ (Post 6945502)

What do you guys think?

my Neighbour has a 2008 V6 Champaign color Mustang I believe it has the same HP as your current mustang (winter Beater / DD)
he also has a 2010 GT500 560HP (insane car)

I have a 2014 V6 Performance pack mustang with 305HP.

My car fits nicely in between his two current cars in terms of power. I know you have your eyes set on a GT. doubling down on power is craziness :) hope you're disciplined enough to jump right into a GT, I know I wouldn't be lol.

You should consider a 2011 - 2014 V6 with manual and Performance Pack. these newer V6 motors still pack a punch.

05PRMTX 9/15/15 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by mustangsally_ (Post 6945135)
So I've been thinking about all of these upgrades that I want to do to my 2006 mustang v6 base model. There is absolutely nothing special about this car lol. All ive done to this car is install true dual exhaust and a bbk cold air intake. I love this car to death, got it my junior year in high school. Going on about 5 years with her.
BUT TO BE HONEST the inedible sucks. It's so boring and plane. The engine sucks, 210 horsepower is ehhh, I would really like more and putting money into a v6 engine would cost a good amount. The only thing I really LOVE about it is the body. Also my car is already hitting 120,000,000 witch isn't that bad.
So I've been looking into the 2011 mustang GT and I'm thinking about trading in my 06 one. I'm really liking the horsepower, correct me if I'm wrong but 427 I believe. That's is insane, if I would get it I wouldn't really need to do any improvements at all. Everything is there, tell me what you guys think.

Thanks for reading!!!!

I made the Jump from an 05 V6 to a 2011 5.0 about a year and a half ago. Its a hell of an upgrade, and honestly I don't think I could go back. Like you, I loved my 05. Especially the body. I had a JLT CAI with the Bama Tuner, a pretty elaborate stereo(some of which I was able to transfer, but it still isn't quite as good), and dual exhaust.....That being said, its not even a comparison between the 2. The difference in overall quality is instantly noticeable. The interior is nothing amazing, but is a significant improvement. The car feels much better (comfort, ride, suspension, handling, ect.) If you had a manual, you no longer feel like you are driving a pickup truck. The power difference is intoxicating, but easily manageable. Lastly, the body grows on you very quickly. So I would say go for it if you can afford it, before your 06 has lost all of its value. I would even look at the Newer V6s. 300hp is still a significant boost and will be much cheaper.

Krohn 9/17/15 04:39 PM

I understand personal attachments...
I still wish I kept my first car... a 2003 SVT Focus... Such a blast to drive.
But every time I upgraded I tried to step up in power... if even by a little.
'03 SVT Focus
'06 SS Supercharged Cobalt
'12 Mustang GT
'12 Boss 302

I think '06 V6 Mustang to'11 GT would be a GREAT step up!

TommyV 9/18/15 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by mustangsally_ (Post 6945135)
Also my car is already hitting 120,000,000 witch isn't that bad.

With 120 million miles, that car should be in a museum. On a serious note, I agree, check out a newer V6. It may surprise you.