2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Shipping my GT to Europe

Search this Thread

Old 2/2/13, 10:59 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just helped on of my guys put new ceramic pads and new rotors on his 08 Audi S4 this afternoon. I had never done this car before. The first rear corner I did took us about 45 minutes and then the other side took about 10. Once we figured it out it was easy. Then we moved to the fronts. Once we figured out the fronts (35 minutes later) the last corner took about 15 minutes. Not bad. It has been a while since I have been working on a car since mine is pretty much still brand new it will be a while. Better way to spend the day other than sitting on my butt watching movies in my room for sure. Saved the guy $80 and hour in labor by doing it on base at the auto skills center. 3.5 hours total was $20 for the bay rental. We are going to do his tires the next time.
Old 2/2/13, 02:30 PM
INKY

Originally Posted by Stevedotmil
I just helped on of my guys put new ceramic pads and new rotors on his 08 Audi S4 this afternoon. I had never done this car before. The first rear corner I did took us about 45 minutes and then the other side took about 10. Once we figured it out it was easy. Then we moved to the fronts. Once we figured out the fronts (35 minutes later) the last corner took about 15 minutes. Not bad. It has been a while since I have been working on a car since mine is pretty much still brand new it will be a while. Better way to spend the day other than sitting on my butt watching movies in my room for sure. Saved the guy $80 and hour in labor by doing it on base at the auto skills center. 3.5 hours total was $20 for the bay rental. We are going to do his tires the next time.
Always fun. Did the brae on my 98 BMW, pretty much the same thing, once I figured it out it was easy. Def need a garage in Hawaii so I can work on the cars.
Old 2/3/13, 04:14 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I love tackling stuff like that and the bonus was I got to teach a novice car guy how to do his own stuff for next time.
Old 2/3/13, 04:39 AM
INKY

Always fun. I'm almost always willing to help friends work on cars. Moving is another story, lol.
Old 2/3/13, 04:41 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

That's why I don't own a truck anymore. When I had one I was always getting asked to help someone move something. Now I'm like, Sorry bro...it's a Mustang. Ha ha.
Old 2/3/13, 04:52 AM
INKY

No doubt. I hate asking friends to help me just because they have a truck. Want to get an old Bronco when I get to Hawaii for my beater.
Old 2/3/13, 06:06 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

There are plenty of old 4X4 vehicles there that are just about rusted away that you can get for cheap. If you think road salt is bad wait till that sea water mist gets all over your car.
Old 2/3/13, 07:47 AM
INKY

Spent 4 years there before Germany. I'll take the warm sea air over the cold salted roads any day! Imagine I will ride the bike most of the time.
Old 2/3/13, 08:19 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

True statement. I have a couple of friends that just got there not too long ago and my little brother is heading there the end of this year. Do you know where you are going?
Old 2/3/13, 09:16 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
One thing I have thought heavily about doing is taking an extended trip to western and central Europe (about a month's time, give or take a week), having my Shelby shipped over there and just driving through the UK, Switzerland, France, Germany, Italy, and maybe parts of Spain. Haven't figured out yet whether it's doable or not, especially shipping the car twice. It's something I'd like to do eventually, but will take some serious planning to get done right.
Old 2/3/13, 09:26 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

It costs about $1200 per trip to ship to Germany. And if you are seriously considering it remember they sell fuel at a per liter price so it works out to around $8 a gallon in some places.
Old 2/3/13, 10:11 AM
INKY

I'll be working at Hickam this time, worked at Camp Smith last time.

Shipped the Boss over from Jacksonville and it ran about $1200, think the big thing will be if you have to pay any customs to drive it. Not sure how that would work.
Old 2/3/13, 10:20 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Cool. I was going to ship out of Charleston and it was about the same price. Then things changed and I got it here for free. Ha ha.
Old 2/3/13, 10:32 AM
INKY

Wish I could have had mine shipped free, but I had already shipped a car. Shipping to HI will be free, but takes about 60 days too.
Old 2/3/13, 04:10 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
It costs about $1200 per trip to ship to Germany. And if you are seriously considering it remember they sell fuel at a per liter price so it works out to around $8 a gallon in some places.
Thanks. Yes, the shipping costs and fuel prices are something I will have to take into account when considering the cost. There is also the aspect of knowing where I can have the car serviced, making sure the vehicle is properly badged to drive in Europe, what to do in case of a breakdown/flat, etc. I'm sure it's a similar experience to one over here, but I'm also sure there are some differences and I'll need to know what those differences are.
Old 2/5/13, 05:22 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Remember that the different countries will have different requirements for safety equipment that has to be inside the passenger compartment of your car. Here in Germany you are required to have an approved first aid kit, warning triangle, and road guard vest. It's also a good idea to have an extra vest for your passenger/s should they need to get out of the car too. I just took my Germany driver license test. I missed a few but it was still rather difficult so study for the international test. I plan to get that next. That and a passport so I can hit the Alps if I get the chance.

In your trunk doesn't count as in the passenger compartment. Tickets are high here and if you get caught short they want the money on the spot for anything less than 70 Euro. If you can't pay in other countries they take your car and you go to the jail till you can pay it. They will also charge you 20 Euro a day while you are there for parking storage fees.

Last edited by Stevedotmil; 2/5/13 at 05:24 AM.
Old 2/6/13, 02:51 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I paid 1800 two years ago to ship from Columbus, Ga. to Mainz, Germany. It cost me a little more because they picked the car up at the house and once it hit Bremerhaven they trucked it to Mainz. I did it that was because it was easier for me to fly to Frankfurt and take a taxi over to Mainz to get the car. You will need to clear customs if you are not affiliated with the military, which my shipper took me over there and got it done. Insurance you will need as well. I recommend you get it before you come. Green Card insurance which is good in the countries you mentioned is kinda expensive for a sports car. Liability alone cost around $900.00 a year. I pay about $8 a gallon give or take for E98 (92-94 Octane). Hope you get to come.
Old 2/10/13, 03:27 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

My car should be here next week. I hope the weather lets up so I don't have any issues. I found some cheaper insurance on the economy rather than what I have now. I can hardly wait!!!
Old 2/10/13, 11:34 PM
INKY

Nice!!! Weather here has been kinda crazy the last couple of weeks. Yesterday was beautiful, but still chilly!
Old 2/10/13, 11:45 PM
GTR Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Poppa

I paid 1800 two years ago to ship from Columbus, Ga. to Mainz, Germany. It cost me a little more because they picked the car up at the house and once it hit Bremerhaven they trucked it to Mainz. I did it that was because it was easier for me to fly to Frankfurt and take a taxi over to Mainz to get the car. You will need to clear customs if you are not affiliated with the military, which my shipper took me over there and got it done. Insurance you will need as well. I recommend you get it before you come. Green Card insurance which is good in the countries you mentioned is kinda expensive for a sports car. Liability alone cost around $900.00 a year. I pay about $8 a gallon give or take for E98 (92-94 Octane). Hope you get to come.
That's expensive :O

Quick Reply: Shipping my GT to Europe