2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Shipping my GT to Europe

Search this Thread

Old 1/6/13, 08:16 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Shipping my GT to Europe

Well tomorrow I will be putting my 2013 GT in the hands of a shipping company that will take her to Europe in 6-8 weeks time. I'm going to miss all that torque and oversteer when the tires are cold. Hopefully she will get there unscathed and maybe just a little dusty. I will take pictures and try to document the process in case there is anyone else who is going to do this in the future. Wish her luck.

Steve
Old 1/6/13, 08:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stevedotmil
Well tomorrow I will be putting my 2013 GT in the hands of a shipping company that will take her to Europe in 6-8 weeks time. I'm going to miss all that torque and oversteer when the tires are cold. Hopefully she will get there unscathed and maybe just a little dusty. I will take pictures and try to document the process in case there is anyone else who is going to do this in the future. Wish her luck.

Steve
Are you military?
Old 1/6/13, 08:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Good luck man, hope it all works out well! Where in Europe are you headed?
Old 1/6/13, 09:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Good luck
Old 1/6/13, 10:03 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Yes I'm military. I thought the name might have given it away. Going to Germany. I will be posting some videos once I get settled. I plan on hitting the Nurburgring while I'm there so a GoPro is on the list. Thanks.
Old 1/6/13, 10:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

I didn't even look at your name lol. Are you air force? I just got selected for OTS in September for combat systems officer (navigator). A guy I work with is a prior F15 crew chief. He was stationed in Germany awhile and said it was a blast.
Old 1/7/13, 04:27 AM
Team Mustang Source

I can't tell you how many cars I've shipped to Germany over the years and everything always went well. A few years ago lots of rules changed and I hope you are aware of them. Window tint on the front seat driver and passenger is now a no-no. If your exhaust is too loud is another fail. The way they measure it is crazy. Lots of other small things that will cause you to fail inspection. Here is a copy of the reg that covers it. http://www.hqusareur.army.mil/rmv/re...-1/ss190-1.htm

Good luck and be safe out there.
Old 1/7/13, 05:13 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Poppa - Thanks for the tips. I'm aware of the regulations. This is why I didn't bother with the window tint or the exhaust. I'm in the Army and the E-8 promotion list comes out the day after I get there. Wish me luck on that. Man I can hardly contain myself. I'm looking forward to Germany but there's always a downside. That being said I will be there for 2 years alone since my older two sons are in high school and my wife is still in college it was better for everyone if they stayed stateside till they all finished. I have less than two years till I can retire so who knows.
Old 1/7/13, 06:42 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Poppa - Thanks for the tips. I'm aware of the regulations. This is why I didn't bother with the window tint or the exhaust. I'm in the Army and the E-8 promotion list comes out the day after I get there. Wish me luck on that. Man I can hardly contain myself. I'm looking forward to Germany but there's always a downside. That being said I will be there for 2 years alone since my older two sons are in high school and my wife is still in college it was better for everyone if they stayed stateside till they all finished. I have less than two years till I can retire so who knows.
Congrats and hopefully you get that Master Sergeant promotion.

And thank you for your service!
Old 1/7/13, 06:45 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Hope she arrives safe and sound
Old 1/7/13, 07:46 AM
INKY

I've shipped three cars to Germany with no issues. The Ring is a blast, plan on getting in a few more laps before I ship my car out around July. Enjoy the two years in Germany.
Old 1/7/13, 08:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Congrats!!
Old 1/7/13, 10:53 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
OP..... post some Autobahn videos.
Old 1/7/13, 11:54 AM
INKY

Originally Posted by TheReaper
OP..... post some Autobahn videos.
Here is one of my speedo on the autobahn.

Old 1/7/13, 11:55 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I've seen this one. Pretty cool video. I just checked her into the shipping yard. Should be there around the middle to end of February. Just in time for my birthday. What do you do for tires in the winter? I was thinking of just getting a beater for the restricted months due to weather. It's cheaper than getting new tires all around.

Last edited by Stevedotmil; 1/7/13 at 11:58 AM.
Old 1/7/13, 12:00 PM
INKY

I've seen this one. Pretty cool video. I just checked her into the shipping yard. Should be there around the middle to end of February. Just in time for my birthday.
Nice! I picked my last one up in Bremerhaven, the drive home was great.
Old 1/8/13, 12:15 AM
Team Mustang Source

Good luck with the promotion. When I was in Germany I was a member of a very nice Mustang Club www.wildponies.eu I still see them from time to time and I was at their last car show and came in 3rd place for the '10 - '12 class and won for longest distance traveled 2100 KM give or take a KM. They good people and I'm sure you will enjoy it. I have gobs of pictures if you are interested.
Old 1/8/13, 05:41 AM
Cobra Member

Steve, where will you be stationed? I PCS to Spangdahlem in March and I'll be shipping the Boss with me!!!
Old 1/8/13, 05:47 AM
INKY

Corey, when do you plan on having the Boss over here again?
Old 1/8/13, 10:36 AM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I spent 5 years in Germany, as an instructor for Siemens telecommunications. While I did not ship any vehicles to Germany, I did ship two back that I bought while over there. One was a 1984 Westfalia VW camper (had a lot of fun camping in those mountains), and a WWII Kubalwagon.

The Westfalia was picked up stateside at Jacksonville, sitting amongst a ton of brand new Mercedes; the dealers wanted it out of there! The kubalwagon is now in a war museum.

Be sure to get your wife and kids over for a visit. Great country, fantastic people. Good luck with the transfer and promotion!

Last edited by Bucko; 1/8/13 at 10:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Shipping my GT to Europe