2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Rented a 2011 Mustang 5.0 Vert yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 6/14/10, 05:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nathan0490
Good for you... no one cares about your flippin track or if people bet 10 grand on a race at your track.
HA HA. The point of that went right over your head, didn't it?
Old 6/14/10, 05:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Exactly... "Street Racing" is wrong only when you are endangering others.. When the road is completely clear and you are 100% (not under the influence of anything or tired) it is not bad. He clearly said they both shut it down before they came up on any traffic... therefore they were not endangering peoples lifes. People act like such tools sometimes.

Your wife is certainly in my prayers brother.

-N
When are you endangering others? That's subjective.

My wife's sister was telling us about going out to watch some street racing. I said "You need to stay away from there, it's dangerous."

She says, "Oh, no. We're not where they're doing burn-outs and stuff, we watch at the end."
Old 6/14/10, 06:18 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by dragstart
When are you endangering others? That's subjective.

My wife's sister was telling us about going out to watch some street racing. I said "You need to stay away from there, it's dangerous."

She says, "Oh, no. We're not where they're doing burn-outs and stuff, we watch at the end."
"Crash" may be defined as the end of a street race. . .
Old 6/14/10, 09:09 AM

Yayyyy E46 M3! (Sorry, I've got one, had to get that out) :-)

Seriously though, while the old E46 M3 still hangs pretty tough with more current iron, any 5.0 Stang ought to eviscerate it in a straight line, even a slush box convertible. Perhaps the TC was being way too nanny'ish or something, or something was wrong with the ECU, or something -- just doesn't sound right.

As for the handling comparison to an M3, that makes a lot more sense. I'd guess the Stang convertible is more softly tuned than a coupe, nevermind a Track Pack optioned coupe. Also, the Stang spots the M3 a couple hundred pounds of road hugging lard and I won't even get into the neolithic lively axle. I'd bet a Track Pack coupe with a stick a Brembo's would comport itself much better against an M3 around the bendies if not quite a good.

Stang's certainly from the Fox Stangs into the current S197 platform, have always seemed to have a rather nautical tendency when it comes to pitch control, rearing up like Trigger when gassing it and hound ******* its nose when reigning her back in. My M3 stays as flat as ten miles of prairie when playing with the pedals. I'd guess firming up the bushing would help a touch, but probably some suspension geometry changes would be in order to level her off a bit.
Old 6/14/10, 09:13 PM

Ok, I read the one post that said turn off TC prior to returning the car. So obviously I had to try this before returning the car. I put the car in 1 rather than D and turned off TC and yeah it made a huge difference.

Upon reflection I think the transmission isn't the culprit but the CAFE requirements and Ford programming the transmission to get, what I think is outstanding fuel economy for the power of the engine. I noticed that the engine was at 1,000 to 1,200 rpm quite often and that was likely the biggest factor in why my buddy's M3 got a jump on me because I'm sure he was revving much higher than that when we hit it.

I appreciate seeing the anti-dive kit as I'd do that. Still interested in hearing what suspension changes others have made to their cars.
Old 6/14/10, 09:18 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Former 5.0 owner
I appreciate seeing the anti-dive kit as I'd do that. Still interested in hearing what suspension changes others have made to their cars.
Well for starters the Vert isn't gonna have the stiffest suspension to begin with, but I'm sure you know that...
Old 6/14/10, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
Well for starters the Vert isn't gonna have the stiffest suspension to begin with, but I'm sure you know that...
Yeah, if the car were just for me then I'd get a GT coupe, but I want my wife to have a convertible. After this scare with her health it makes you realize that anything can happen and you can't predict some things. So, I want to ensure she gets her vert. I'm happy to make that compromise.
Old 6/14/10, 10:16 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, if the car were just for me then I'd get a GT coupe, but I want my wife to have a convertible. After this scare with her health it makes you realize that anything can happen and you can't predict some things. So, I want to ensure she gets her vert. I'm happy to make that compromise.
Yeah definitely, I pray your wife gets better
Old 6/14/10, 10:21 PM

Yes, I've been remiss in thanking everyone for their well wishes.

Thanks everyone.

PS - I haven't mentioned it yet, but I must say that the membership here is far more mature than the BMW boards. I'm guessing the average member here is older, but people are so much better behaved and respectful here. It's sure nice to see.
Old 6/14/10, 10:22 PM
FR500 Member

Best of luck with everything.
Old 6/14/10, 11:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by rhumb
Yayyyy E46 M3! (Sorry, I've got one, had to get that out) :-)

Seriously though, while the old E46 M3 still hangs pretty tough with more current iron, any 5.0 Stang ought to eviscerate it in a straight line, even a slush box convertible. Perhaps the TC was being way too nanny'ish or something, or something was wrong with the ECU, or something -- just doesn't sound right.

As for the handling comparison to an M3, that makes a lot more sense. I'd guess the Stang convertible is more softly tuned than a coupe, nevermind a Track Pack optioned coupe. Also, the Stang spots the M3 a couple hundred pounds of road hugging lard and I won't even get into the neolithic lively axle. I'd bet a Track Pack coupe with a stick a Brembo's would comport itself much better against an M3 around the bendies if not quite a good.

Stang's certainly from the Fox Stangs into the current S197 platform, have always seemed to have a rather nautical tendency when it comes to pitch control, rearing up like Trigger when gassing it and hound ******* its nose when reigning her back in. My M3 stays as flat as ten miles of prairie when playing with the pedals. I'd guess firming up the bushing would help a touch, but probably some suspension geometry changes would be in order to level her off a bit.
I ran a 13.16 @107mph in my bone stock 01 E46 M3 at Bakersfield when the car had 5k miles on her. I humbled a lot of cars that day at the track.

I don't know if you ever seen this..this is Lee Rutter (Mathews) running his E46 M3 with just 4.10's, AFE intake and softwre..he ran a 12.4 @ 109mph..he ran a 12.74 stock at 107mph..he pulled a 1.74 60ft. time on the stock Contis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84in-OgZpqY

Dave

Last edited by Dave07997S; 6/14/10 at 11:07 PM.
Old 6/15/10, 12:23 AM
GT Member

Yes, I've been remiss in thanking everyone for their well wishes.

Thanks everyone.

PS - I haven't mentioned it yet, but I must say that the membership here is far more mature than the BMW boards. I'm guessing the average member here is older, but people are so much better behaved and respectful here. It's sure nice to see.
You visit the wrong BMW boards! The Puget Sound Board is very civil... trash can't stay around for more than a day because nobody would resond to them anyways.... they just don't come; nobody feeds them.
Old 6/15/10, 12:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by David Young
2011 Mustangs have over reactive traction control, in my opinion. Even my V-6 bogs down on fast take offs with the traction control on.
They are all like that. My GTO's TC is very intrusive as well and makes a huge difference when actually trying to drive fast. It's first track outing my friend forgot to take the TC off and ran a 14.2 to my 13.2 and he's a better driver than me.
Old 7/14/10, 04:09 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good for you... no one cares about your flippin track or if people bet 10 grand on a race at your track.
Actually I thought it was interesting. Also it made some very valid points. There is a lot of risk associated with street racing. I don't think it hurts to remind people out there that this is a viable and much more intelligent option. I have been guilty of getting on it when on public streets when challenged. I will say I'm very very selective when I will engage as I really don't want to risk anyone else. But selective or not, it's not a smart thing to do.

I also enjoy knowing that there is action (betting) going on. The three best things in life are

1. being in action and winning

2. being in action and losing

3. watching or hearing stories about action

Oh and Breasts! So I guess there are 4 things and breasts should be number 1.
Old 7/15/10, 02:33 PM

Ok, here's the real question... What company rents the 2011 Mustang 5.0 GT convertibles???! It can't be any of the big rental folks, Hertz, Avis, etc.!
Old 7/15/10, 02:39 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffARB
Ok, here's the real question... What company rents the 2011 Mustang 5.0 GT convertibles???! It can't be any of the big rental folks, Hertz, Avis, etc.!
I've been thinking the same thing. I don't even see 2011 V-6's for rent where i live....
Old 7/15/10, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Dave07997S
I ran a 13.16 @107mph in my bone stock 01 E46 M3 at Bakersfield when the car had 5k miles on her. I humbled a lot of cars that day at the track.

I don't know if you ever seen this..this is Lee Rutter (Mathews) running his E46 M3 with just 4.10's, AFE intake and softwre..he ran a 12.4 @ 109mph..he ran a 12.74 stock at 107mph..he pulled a 1.74 60ft. time on the stock Contis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84in-OgZpqY

Dave
Wow, that's an impressive number, even for an M3, but their S54 motors are practically race motors through and through and even with a mere 3.2 liters can turn in startling performance. I guess Bavarian MOTOR Works is aptly named as those boys do make some great motors.
Old 7/15/10, 03:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
There are rental 2011 V6s EVERYwhere in the Bay Area and SoCal. You can easily spot them out by the 1) bar code sticker place haphazardly in the 1/4 window; 2) crooked front license plate frame/license plate screwed directly in the bumper; 3) 7/10 times it is a V6 auto vert; 4) 10/10 times they will have the V6 auto exhaust.