The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2010-2014 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/)
-   -   Rant and advice needed (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/rant-advice-needed-546763/)

Hwyman 4/17/19 07:52 AM

Rant and advice needed

Hey all.
I recently purchased a 2018 intake manifold. I Have a BAMA tuner with tunes for life from American Muscle but they emailed me back and said they were unable to do the tune with that intake and there is no E.T.A on it.
I have been reading through forums and ran across another guy from June of last year and they gave him the same story. This guy (from BAMA) then told me I should go to VMP tuning for a tune for it as they have one. So he basically said Nah, don't have it and pretty much not on our radar, but thanks for your tune for life purchase now go and buy a tune from someone else.
Really??? Like WTF??
I pay for a tunes for life and other tuners are able to do this, Like VMP and STEEDA as far as I can see.
Should I just reset my car to factory after the intake replacement and bring it to a dyno tuner and be done with it? I can always sell this BAMA.

Bert 4/17/19 08:12 AM

yeah so there have been a lot of stories lately about Bama tuning not being what it used to be, sounds like this is another one

I think most people would advise you to ditch Bama and go to a different tuner anyway; so it's $200 well wasted and don't look back

on the other hand, I don't think we can expect them to have developed tunes for every possible modification for these cars, which are pretty much endless . . . pretty sure to develop a good tune they need to test a car with that modification on a dyno

I'm wondering if that intake really requires a tune? Usually tunes are required for any change that affects a signal from a sensor to the computer; not sure that is the case for an intake manifold?

Hwyman 4/17/19 08:46 AM

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I get that mods are endless and they cannot have a tune for every possible scenario.
Should I just go with a Steeda tune or should I go dyno route? I have basic power adders and not doing a supercharger or turbo.
I was planning on keeping this N/A, so I don't know if I should throw down money at another company for another tunes for life.
As I am sure I will be adding something else down the road.

SpectreH 4/17/19 08:51 AM

Steeda does quality work. If they say they have a tune for your configuration, I would trust it. Obviously dyno tuned is the best if done by a reputable shop, but it does cost more.

5.M0NSTER 4/17/19 10:39 AM

Steeda does quality work. I had their intake and tune on my car for over 2 years with no issues. That said if you have the option of a reputable shop and budget to do a custom dyno tune this will give you best gains.

Bert 4/17/19 11:14 AM

I have heard a lot of good reports on "Lito" -- who does remote tuning, and always has you do a datalog so he can adjust the tune. I'm pretty sure that Steeda and most of the others will not work with you to review your datalog (unless there is some obvious problem that needs to be corrected) so you pretty much have to take whatever you get from them and there is no easy way to tell if it is not quite right.

Datalogging is probably the closest you can get to a dyno tune, without a dyno.

I do plan to use Lito for a tune on my car soon, but haven't actually done it yet so I don't have direct experience.

Lito's contact info is: support@tudyno.com

Hwyman 4/17/19 11:29 AM

Thanks for the replies and help guys. I chose not to do the dyno tune for an N/A application. It would be different if I was choosing to run a supercharger or such,
plus with the custom tune when I change my tire setup next year I will have to add that to the tune so I chose to get the Steeda.
I have been reading good things about them and will give them a shot.