The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2010-2014 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/)
-   -   Potential new 2013 GT Owner, current BMW owner. Few Questions. (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/potential-new-2013-gt-owner-current-bmw-owner-few-questions-513466/)

FDfranklin 9/10/12 11:14 AM

Potential new 2013 GT Owner, current BMW owner. Few Questions.

1 Attachment(s)
Hello all,

I am considering trading in my 2011 135i for a 2013 GT, mainly because I wan't smaller car payments and realistically because I only hold on to cars for 2 years.

I have a few general questions I hope you guys don't mind answering.

1. Out of all the models of the GT am I going to get the same performance out of all of them? Premium, regular, different packages, etc..

2. Horsepower! Is the engine underrated or overrated? For example the 135i is stated at 300BHP but often dynos very close to 300rwhp, how is it for the GT. What kind of power gains are expected from minor mods, ie; tune/intake/exhaust. With the 135i tune/i/e can net close to 100rwhp, Im guessing this won't be the case with the GT since it is naturally aspired.

3. Do all the 2013's come with the race application in the gauge cluster? I saw a few review videos online that show the track application or w/e its called.

4. Any previous BMW to Mustang owners? If so how was the transition from a bmw to a ford? I don't mean any disrespect from this question, they are just two different car companies.

I really love the look of the 2013 stang and 420 horespower, are you kidding me? I have yet to test drive one but will be doing so this upcoming weekend and want to be more "informed".

Thanks for anyone who decides to respond.

Bonus pic of my 135i:

Attachment 206162

jsimmons 9/10/12 11:26 AM

0) You'll have to lower the car to make it "look right".

1) A CAI and a tune, and possibly changing to the Boss 302 plenum will gain some HP. You can also add aftermarket cams to gain some oomph. I think you can get it up to almost 500hp without adding a supercharger.

2) I think the GT comes with a 2-piece driveshaft. If you replace it with a one-piece aluminum (or carbon-fiber) shaft, you'll gain RWHP.

3) The premium package gives you leather interior. I believe that the track apps comes as part of one of the added-performance packages.

4) Pick your rear end gears wisely.

The best thing to do is to go to cars.com and build yourself a car. They have pretty good descriptions of the various packages and what is included with them.

mopar? 9/10/12 11:28 AM

I'm just gonna ignore everything you said, I know you from Tampa Racing.

That is all.

FDfranklin 9/10/12 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by mopar? (Post 6437527)
I'm just gonna ignore everything you said, I know you from Tampa Racing.

That is all.

Haha Okay, what is that supposed to mean? TR is dead BTW!

TheDivaDanielle 9/10/12 11:44 AM

1. Out of all the models of the GT am I going to get the same performance out of all of them? Premium, regular, different packages, etc..

GT with trackpack or GT with Brembo brake package is going to outperform the regular GT in braking and handling.

2. Horsepower! Is the engine underrated or overrated? For example the 135i is stated at 300BHP but often dynos very close to 300rwhp, how is it for the GT. What kind of power gains are expected from minor mods, ie; tune/intake/exhaust. With the 135i tune/i/e can net close to 100rwhp, Im guessing this won't be the case with the GT since it is naturally aspired.

GT is underrated. Rated @ 420hp, closer to 435hp based on dynos. Intake and tune are netting +30rwhp generally.

3. Do all the 2013's come with the race application in the gauge cluster? I saw a few review videos online that show the track application or w/e its called.

Premium models only

FDfranklin 9/10/12 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by jsimmons (Post 6437526)

1) A CAI and a tune, and possibly changing to the Boss 302 plenum will gain some HP. You can also add aftermarket cams to gain some oomph. I think you can get it up to almost 500hp without adding a supercharger.

2) I think the GT comes with a 2-piece driveshaft. If you replace it with a one-piece aluminum (or carbon-fiber) shaft, you'll gain RWHP.

3) The premium package gives you leather interior. I believe that the track apps comes as part of one of the added-performance packages.

4) Pick your rear end gears wisely.

The best thing to do is to go to cars.com and build yourself a car. They have pretty good descriptions of the various packages and what is included with them.

Thanks for the response.

I am trying to stay within warranty range with mods. Is there a general amount of mods dealerships will allow? BMW allows intake and exhaust but nothing else. I take my tune off when going in to the dealer and never had any issues.

cars.com does not have the 2013 up there yet to build your own :(.

I feel there is so many different packages options for this car that it's pretty **** confusing to know what I want.

kylerohde 9/10/12 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by FDfranklin (Post 6437521)
Hello all,

I am considering trading in my 2011 135i for a 2013 GT, mainly because I wan't smaller car payments and realistically because I only hold on to cars for 2 years.

Yes, the basic powertrain is the same - the only change you can make on GTs is getting a different gear ratio. Stock is 3.31 but 3.55 and 3.73 are available - 3.31 provides the best highway mileage, 3.73 the fastest acceleration and 3.55 is in the middle. Considering I'm on the highway more than I'm drag racing, I am fine with the 3.31s in mine but other guys swear by higher ratios. Personal preference.

I think general consensus is that it's a little underrated but not by much. Power can be added in plenty of quantity but that requires putting a new engine tune in (even for something as little as a CAI) and that voids your factory warranty. You're probably looking at 30-50 HP with the tune/intake/axle-back exhaust? However, 420 is a lot bone stock and might be all you need!

Track Apps is what you're referring to, and it's an option.

4. Any previous BMW to Mustang owners? If so how was the transition from a bmw to a ford? I don't mean any disrespect from this question, they are just two different car companies.

Not a previous BMW owner but have driven a few so I can offer an opinion. Your dealer experience will, more than likely, be a big letdown. You're going from a premium brand to a mainstream brand so expect a difference. For example, most Ford dealers I've been to don't do loaners and if they do, it's kind of a hassle to get one. There are definitely good Ford dealers out there but I wouldn't expect a similar experience as a BMW one. However, you'll probably pay less than you did at BMW too, though you won't get any free scheduled maintenance either.

As far as the car itself, it rides probably about as well as your 1-Series, though you'll notice the solid rear axle over bigger bumps. At highway speed, I think it's pretty darn quiet and comfortable. Since you're coming from the cheapest BMW, you probably won't notice as much difference in interior quality, features, etc. as someone coming from a 5-series would, but the car will definitely have a different feel. It's a muscle/sports car and it never feels anything but American to me. If you like that, you'll love the car.

I really love the look of the 2013 stang and 420 horespower, are you kidding me? I have yet to test drive one but will be doing so this upcoming weekend and want to be more "informed".

Bonus pic of my 135i:

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/...6/IMG_3727.jpg

See comments in red above

kylerohde 9/10/12 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by FDfranklin (Post 6437532)
Thanks for the response.

I am trying to stay within warranty range with mods. Is there a general amount of mods dealerships will allow? BMW allows intake and exhaust but nothing else. I take my tune off when going in to the dealer and never had any issues.

cars.com does not have the 2013 up there yet to build your own :(.

I feel there is so many different packages options for this car that it's pretty **** confusing to know what I want.

Build your own 2013 at Ford.com.

Performance mods are the same everywhere - if something fails on the car, the manufacturer/dealer has to prove that your mod caused the failure for them to not cover it. CAI/exhaust are usually fine, but you can't replace the tune and get away with it - if you tune the car, it's recorded in the car's memory no matter what you do.

mopar? 9/10/12 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by FDfranklin

Haha Okay, what is that supposed to mean? TR is dead BTW!

Yeah left that site in 2010, all drama and people cursing each other out and there is 0 information there haha. But glad you made it to the good american side! I went from a japanese to german to american! I dont know if you remember me but im civic99!

autobred 9/10/12 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by FDfranklin (Post 6437521)
Hello all,

Bonus pic of my 135i:

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/...6/IMG_3727.jpg

you can easily pick up a base 2013 GT with Brembo, Sync, 3.73.. for 30k OTD
1. Base GT will probably be the lightest and fastest as in above (dollar/HP)
underrated? The mustang is a lego block begging to be massaged. I only drive my brothers 335i '09 on occasion, same motor as yours..we sent his pcm to active autowerke to get flashed..being TT he picked up gobs of torque.
2. same as above
3. Track App? thats an addon, I have a G-Tech for those duties:D
4. I have an 05 M3. No comparison, totally two different animals and I enjoy each in its own way. Eg. the M will take you to 0-100 with absolutely no drama point A to B (refinement), where the Mustang will let you know you are in a good ole detroit muscle with all its quirks..
Go test them out, bring that 1 series with you..and you tell me! GL

tj@steeda 9/10/12 12:45 PM

Have you looked at our Serialized vehicles? You can get a Mustang GT with our great performance package and get the Steeda warranty that we provide to any serialized vehicle.

I just wanted to provide you with additional options since you were concerned with the Ford Warranty.

http://www.steeda.com/vehicles/mustang/

Best Regards,

TJ

dogiebitt 9/10/12 12:55 PM

Go here and download the Order Guide and Price Guide to help you make decisions.
https://themustangsource.com/f726/20...-lists-502974/

Are you going for comfort, or speed, or both?
To get track apps (the LCD screen between gauges) you need to have a premium trim, which also includes leather and the tech package built in (as well as a bunch of other stuff).

Speed:
Track Pack ($2495) is best choice, as it comes with the brembo brake package and 3.73 gears, but also a few of the coolers from the Boss. Well worth the small markup from just the brembo package ($1695). As far as seats, Recaro ($1595) are the racing seats, and with premium you now get leather Recaros, however you will not be able to get the comfort package that includes heated and powered seats and the pony projector puddle lights in the mirrors. So in short, choose Track Pack + Recaros to be as close to the Boss as you can without actually being one.

Comfort:
Can't have Recaro seats with comfort package, so you have to settle for regular leather seats (which are still fairly comfy). Comfort package ($650) comes with power passenger seat, heated front seats, and the puddle pony projectors (google for pictures). Glass roof is another option ($1995), as is reverse sensing and active security system ($695) which you can't get if you choose to change from the default spoiler. There's some sort of upgraded stereo too, but meh. Got one under the hood, and the standard is already upgraded from the years before, so the $1295 can be spent elsewhere in my opinion. Nav is $2340, depends on your needs if you want it. MyFordTouch is not included in the Mustang.

Also worth mentioning, don't forget about xplan pricing. You can either join MCA, or see if you qualify through your employer. It's a no-haggle price slightly above invoice, but well below MSRP. And if you are trading the BMW, depending on your state, you may get a tax break if it's all done in the same transaction.

GRN 5OH 9/10/12 01:06 PM

My Z4 M Roadster was the funnest car I had ever owned - right until I traded it in for my 2013 GT. No regrets.

Sayonara BMW!

GRN 5OH 9/10/12 01:14 PM

Oh and I built mine to spec. Bone stock base model + GT Track Package + Recaro seats. Anything else is a gimmick and a waste of money, IMO. Good luck.

autobred 9/10/12 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by GRN 5OH (Post 6437595)
Oh and I built mine to spec. Bone stock base model + GT Track Package + Recaro seats. Anything else is a gimmick and a waste of money, IMO. Good luck.

yeah, I should of sprung for the Recaro seats:banghead:

BackinBlack13 9/10/12 01:42 PM

The 135's are quick but you will love the raw power of the 5.0.

cinque35 9/10/12 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by dogiebitt (Post 6437582)
Go here and download the Order Guide and Price Guide to help you make decisions.
https://themustangsource.com/f726/20...-lists-502974/

That's good to have and also download the full Order Guide:

https://themustangsource.com/attachm..._sb_update.pdf

has a lot more specifications

GreenCars 9/10/12 02:17 PM

I did not read all the responses. I have owned both BMW and Mustangs. I was actually contemplating buying a 135i and took a Lease trade in on a test drive. Lets just say they wanted 30K for a certified used BMW with 33K miles. The 2013 Mustang I purchased out handled and was quicker than the 135i and was also more plush. If you get a GT you are now even moving up the mark. Def take one with Track pack for a ride!! BTW I disagree with the statement to get the stripped version. I sold my Audi TT and my previous Mustang and wanted the Leather, Heated seats and the add-on's i had with the Audi. If you go from a BMW I am sure you would not be happy with a stripped version. But then I am older the amenities to me out weighed the 5.0 when it came to pricing... (I know I will hear slack for that comment). but the V6 at 305HP/285 Torque with the performance pack and a ton of goodies was at under the starting price for a GT which made sense to my wallet. But if you are comparing 135i prices to Mustang Prices you will def get more bang for your buck with the Mustang!!!

wannabe 9/10/12 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by jsimmons (Post 6437526)

I couldn't disagree with this more, except maybe a base V6 with the smallest wheels.

autobred 9/10/12 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by BackinBlack13 (Post 6437603)
The 135's are quick but you will love the raw power of the 5.0.

hell yeah they are quick Ed, a flash does wonders for a TT setup..if you think the 5.0 is capped up, 3.0 TT has alot lurking also
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xyLrDca5ry4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>