2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Pedestal Spoiler Fitment

Search this Thread

Old 3/29/14, 12:59 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Pedestal Spoiler Fitment

Question for those with the pedestal spoiler installed on their Mustang: how well does it mount to the trunk? Mine has a gap between the spoiler bases and the trunk metal. It doesn't look that great to be honest (if you look up close). It seems like there should be rubber pads or something on there to be honest.

Can anyone look at theirs and see how it mounts up?
Old 3/29/14, 09:48 AM
Cobra R Member

Here's some pics of what I'm talking about:

Name:  YUoadiq.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  1.34 MB

Name:  PSpFWDM.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  1.10 MB
Old 3/29/14, 10:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine has a slight gap, but not as pronounced as in your photo. GTCS spoiler from factory. Sorry for the bad photo... Pouring out.
Attached Thumbnails Pedestal Spoiler Fitment-image.jpg  
Old 3/29/14, 10:03 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeywhat
Question for those with the pedestal spoiler installed on their Mustang: how well does it mount to the trunk? Mine has a gap between the spoiler bases and the trunk metal. It doesn't look that great to be honest (if you look up close). It seems like there should be rubber pads or something on there to be honest. Can anyone look at theirs and see how it mounts up?
Did you add the spoiler or did it come stock?
Old 3/29/14, 10:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stock from factory. There is definitely a slight gap that you can slip a credit card under ..more towards the back though...not the front as in the photo. I misunderstood your original question. Didn't realize you meant aftermarket install.

Last edited by Last1; 3/29/14 at 10:15 AM.
Old 3/29/14, 10:28 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
Did you add the spoiler or did it come stock?
It's a dealer installed item.
Old 3/29/14, 10:57 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
No gaps on mine. Had a piece of wash mit stuck on one of the posts and it was so tight, I could not even get a business card in there.
Old 3/29/14, 10:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Mine is factory installed and does not have a gap like that. It is probably a slight installation error. However I would probably not have them try and adjust it because it would probably involve drilling a hole larger in the trunk lid. Depends on how bad it bothers you.
Old 3/29/14, 11:07 AM

Remove trunk liner: loosen all bolts, tighten the offender post first, then the next middle one, then the sides.

Obviously, there's some maladjustment in one bolt causing that post to sit that way. Don't remove the spoiler because there is a 3m tape pad covering a hole in your decklid. Don't mess with that seal. It's the second left hand post.

Just loosen the bolts, wiggle a little, then tighten. Preferably in warm weather. Easy fix.

Ps I'd lose sleep if that was on my car. Lol
Old 3/29/14, 11:11 AM
Cobra R Member

They all look like that (at the front, at least, the rear side looks better). I'll try readjusting and see how it goes. Each picture is actually a different post, I just took them from different sides.
Old 3/29/14, 11:54 AM

Second thought, I would just leave it alone. Lol lots of trouble.
Old 3/29/14, 11:59 AM
Cobra R Member

I tried adjusting it and it really wouldn't move. So I'll just leave it alone I guess.

If it fits, I might opt for the California Special spoiler, as it appears to be the same size as far as mounting goes, and the base pieces that mount to the trunk look a bit more refined (and are painted body color).
Old 3/29/14, 12:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I tried adjusting it and it really wouldn't move. So I'll just leave it alone I guess. If it fits, I might opt for the California Special spoiler, as it appears to be the same size as far as mounting goes, and the base pieces that mount to the trunk look a bit more refined (and are painted body color).
The CS spoiler is identical to the "pedestal spoiler." They're the same piece...
Old 3/29/14, 12:14 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
The CS spoiler is identical to the "pedestal spoiler." They're the same piece...
Not according the pictures I've seen. The spoiler itself looks close, if not identical, but the bases are clearly different.
Old 3/29/14, 12:14 PM

I tried adjusting it and it really wouldn't move. So I'll just leave it alone I guess. If it fits, I might opt for the California Special spoiler, as it appears to be the same size as far as mounting goes, and the base pieces that mount to the trunk look a bit more refined (and are painted body color).
The CS spoiler is identical and the area underneath the wing is the same flat black plastic.

I would just live with it. If I had a dollar for every misaligned bumper, warp, or poor fitment of a piece...

It's just the nature of the car. Peace bro
Old 3/29/14, 12:17 PM

My 12 CS. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails Pedestal Spoiler Fitment-image-1185564913.jpg   Pedestal Spoiler Fitment-image-79179022.jpg  
Old 3/29/14, 12:17 PM
Cobra R Member

I was looking at the ones available from American Muscle, perhaps it's different. The base is body color, and isn't textured like my base.

ETA - the spoiler from AM also includes foam gaskets for the bases, which looks SOOO much better then just mounting it right to the body.
Old 3/29/14, 12:20 PM

I was looking at the ones available from American Muscle, perhaps it's different. The base is body color, and isn't textured like my base.
That might look good too. Depends on taste. I personally like the black accent. I would check AM to be sure the pedestal isn't a replica. Not a biggie but quality becomes subjective in that case.
Old 3/29/14, 12:23 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Getportfolio
That might look good too. Depends on taste. I personally like the black accent. I would check AM to be sure the pedestal isn't a replica. Not a biggie but quality becomes subjective in that case.
It might be. I think the black accent would look better on my car if it were a deeper black, but it looks funky being the grayish-black it is now. I'm half tempted to remove the bases and plastidip them all to get them a little blacker. I might try that first.

I still think the gaps are going to drive me nuts though...I might just keep that CS spoiler on my wish list. Or, I wonder if the bases are identically shaped, maybe I can just score some of those rubber pads...
Old 3/29/14, 01:24 PM

It might be. I think the black accent would look better on my car if it were a deeper black, but it looks funky being the grayish-black it is now. I'm half tempted to remove the bases and plastidip them all to get them a little blacker. I might try that first. I still think the gaps are going to drive me nuts though...I might just keep that CS spoiler on my wish list. Or, I wonder if the bases are identically shaped, maybe I can just score some of those rubber pads...
We think alike. Notice how black my plastic is?
I use turtle wax trim restorer. It lasts about six months and defeats that chalky gray look on black plastic. I used it on my 11 on the skirts and black plastic areas. It makes them look deep and shiny and new. Next best thing to being painted.

Quick Reply: Pedestal Spoiler Fitment