Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Painting Stock Axle Backs

Search this Thread

Old 11/12/14, 12:33 PM
GT Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Painting Stock Axle Backs

So on the V6, the stock axle backs aren't of the most pristine quality and, imo, are very lack luster. Since I have the SGM, I've been working on giving certain parts of the car a 'blacked out' look without going too overboard. The beginning was tinting the side markers. One of the next things I was thinking about would be painting the stock axle backs, at least maybe the muffler part if not the exhaust tips as well, with rustoleum's high temp black spray paint. I don't want an overly glossy look so I'm wondering if anyone knows if the paint will turn out glossy or more matte. Are there any other suggestions for a better way to change the look of the axle backs without actually buying new ones? (I will get new ones eventually but honeymoon/wedding budget is precluding too many car expenses at the moment) Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated as always!
Old 11/12/14, 04:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wish I still had the pictures I my phone.
I picked up a set of GT500 single tip axle backs and the FIRST thing I did after I opened the box was paint them with Rustoleum high heat black paint.
I also clear coated them with high heat paint as well, but they still came out matte black. The dirt sticks to them but nothing a garden hose and a damp rag can't take care of every now and then.

Really tied the back end together nicely as I already plastidipped my GT emblem and tinted all my lights.
Old 11/12/14, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Moejoe_989
I wish I still had the pictures I my phone.
I picked up a set of GT500 single tip axle backs and the FIRST thing I did after I opened the box was paint them with Rustoleum high heat black paint.
I also clear coated them with high heat paint as well, but they still came out matte black. The dirt sticks to them but nothing a garden hose and a damp rag can't take care of every now and then.

Really tied the back end together nicely as I already plastidipped my GT emblem and tinted all my lights.
Did you have any trouble with the paint adhering to the tips?
Old 11/12/14, 08:32 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I taped off everything and painted the back plate so I would not have shiny bits...I used bbq grill paint...I left the chrome tips as is....I think it is a visual improvement.
Old 11/12/14, 11:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
My GTA mufflers, I taped off the tips right before they were welded to the cans, and then painted the cans with BBQ paint.

Looked just fine to me, and hid them cans real nice.

Now, if you're goin' to paint the tips, well, I probably wouldn't use that stuff. I would go with SEM HR010 Hot Rod Black (or equivalent.) It's a Satin black. Not gloss. Not flat. Not semi-glosss. Satin. Looks sorta like shiny plastic, really, but it's paint. My favorite black trim color, and that stuff *holds up*.

FWIW.

Last edited by houtex; 11/12/14 at 11:21 PM.
Old 11/17/14, 06:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by super-six
Did you have any trouble with the paint adhering to the tips?
sadly, yes. I didn't sand or prep the exhaust at all. I just stood them on end and painted.
The back has held up nicely, but there are a few chips noticeable.
I did also cover them with clear coat as an added later or protection over the paint.

But when you pressure wash them the paint holds up nice, and they clean up well.
Probably doesn't look as good as a factory/aftermarket black painted exhaust but they usually cost quite a bit extra.