The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2010-2014 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/)
-   -   Oil change- How too (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/oil-change-how-too-534963/)

SONICBOOST 1/11/15 09:07 AM

Oil change- How too

Searched through the threads and did not find a how to change your oil on the 5.0. My car is coming up on an oil change and I would like to do it myself :-) I used to change the oil on my 05 GT and there was a sticky in the 05 sections that was really helpful. Anything like that for the 10-14 section, or does anyone do it themselves and would like to share :-) Thanks

dmichaels 1/11/15 09:38 AM

Unbolt the two or three fasteners holding the aft section of the underbody tray, slide it out, put oil pan under the drain port, remove drain port plug & drain oil.

Replace plug, tighten, and remove oil filter & replace.

Search youtube, I'm sure there is something if you're not clear what bolts to do. It's extremely easy, although can be slightly messy.

Make sure you have an oil catch pan that can hold over 8 quarts.... you'll have a nasty mess to clean up if you have too small a pan.

SONICBOOST 1/11/15 09:43 AM

Thanks, so it takes exactly 8 qts? Does anyone have a part number for the oil filter? Where is taco bill when you need him lolol

SONICBOOST 1/11/15 09:46 AM

Re tighten the drain bolt, then remove the oil filter and let that drain. Is that correct? Sorry I have minor OCD

3point7 1/11/15 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by SONICBOOST (Post 6886568)
Re tighten the drain bolt, then remove the oil filter and let that drain. Is that correct? Sorry I have minor OCD

Yes, drain the oil form the pan and replace the plug, then remove the old filter. It shouldn't have too much left in it to drain. Be sure to put a light coating of oil on the seal of the new filter so it's not a total monster to take it off at the next oil change. If the GT filter is like the 3.7 filter you need a 15 flute oil filter wrench. That makes removal and installation of the filter much easier. The advantage of the V6 is the extra space between the front of the engine and the radiator area. I can change my filter from the top instead of the bottom.

There are three bolts that hold in the plastic cover beneath the belt accessory area. If you tighten them enough they will just go loose again. There is a sort of "goldy locks" point where they are just tight enough without over tightening them so they go loose again. You'll get the feel for it pretty quick.

Joeywhat 1/11/15 10:09 AM

I also remove the oil filter while the pan is draining.

You might be able to at least loosen (if not remove entirely) the oil filter from the top. I haven't tried yet, but last time I was looking in the engine bay it seemed rather accessible from there.

It's hard to screw up, just remove all the oil, tighten everything back up, put in new oil.

dmichaels 1/11/15 10:58 AM

Also, what kind of oil are you putting in? I always run synthetic, and for just street driving, the 5w20 that Ford recommends for non-TP cars would be fine. If you are going to track the car, think about thicker 5w50

SONICBOOST 1/11/15 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by dmichaels (Post 6886594)
Also, what kind of oil are you putting in? I always run synthetic, and for just street driving, the 5w20 that Ford recommends for non-TP cars would be fine. If you are going to track the car, think about thicker 5w50

Thanks for the replies, I'm going to run the motor craft 5w20 synthetic. Is the part number for the oil filter in the owners manual?

SONICBOOST 1/11/15 11:03 AM

Hopefully Wally World carries the motor craft :-)

dmichaels 1/11/15 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by SONICBOOST (Post 6886598)
Thanks for the replies, I'm going to run the motor craft 5w20 synthetic. Is the part number for the oil filter in the owners manual?

filter PN should be in the manual

M1 5W20 should be sold at Walmart too in the 5 qt jugs. I ran M1 5w50 and the oil analysis showed it held up better than the Motorcraft 5w50. Granted I run the car at road courses for 20-30 minute sessions, so the oil is subjected to a lot more stress than in street driving.

Motorcraft should be fine, but if a better deal is there on M1 or Castrol full synthetic, no reason not to do either of those.

SONICBOOST 1/11/15 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by dmichaels (Post 6886602)
filter PN should be in the manual M1 5W20 should be sold at Walmart too in the 5 qt jugs. I ran M1 5w50 and the oil analysis showed it held up better than the Motorcraft 5w50. Granted I run the car at road courses for 20-30 minute sessions, so the oil is subjected to a lot more stress than in street driving. Motorcraft should be fine, but if a better deal is there on M1 or Castrol full synthetic, no reason not to do either of those.

Thanks a lot , I will check them out when I get oil. With full synthetic oil changes can be done every 10k miles? Or it is 5k?

David Young 1/11/15 02:49 PM

Most Walmarts have our oil filters now. I think $5.97 which is 3 to 4 dollars cheaper than my local parts store.

Be sure your engine is a little warm when you start and don't get burnt when the drain plug is removed.

Also, drive the front tires up on ramps, you'll have enough room to get to everything.

70monte 1/11/15 02:55 PM

The oil filter you need for your car is the Motorcraft FL500s if you want to stay with Motorcraft and my Walmart carries it. I also run the Motorcraft semi-synthetic 5W-20.

Changing the oil is as easy as these guys have said. I use ramps to change mine to make it easier to get underneath but you could also use jack stands.

Wayne

David Young 1/11/15 03:02 PM

I wish i could show you how to do this. Little things you need to know like, if you put the oil fliter on too loose it will leak. If you put it on too tight, it will leak.

Try to find video's on it. :)

SONICBOOST 1/11/15 03:03 PM

Thanks guys, what are you intervals for changing the oil, 5k, 7.5k, or 10k?

David Young 1/11/15 03:15 PM

Its all up to you. I change mine every 9 months 1,200 to 2,200 miles. :)

3point7 1/11/15 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by SONICBOOST (Post 6886682)
Thanks guys, what are you intervals for changing the oil, 5k, 7.5k, or 10k?

I use Mobil One 5W 20 and change mine between 7 and 8 K. Technically I could go up to 10K but I just prefer to change it out about 7.

SONICBOOST 1/11/15 03:43 PM

Ok cool, does the oil life monitor automatically reset or do I have to manually do it? A ton of questions! Lol

David Young 1/11/15 03:50 PM

I use Mobil 1 5W20 but Motorcraft synthetic blend is good oil also.

The owners manual shows you how to reset the oil life meter :)

SONICBOOST 1/11/15 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by David Young (Post 6886704)
I use Mobil 1 5W20 but Motorcraft synthetic blend is good oil also. The owners manual shows you how to reset the oil life meter :)

Thanks, you guys are using 8qts total right?