The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2010-2014 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/)
-   -   OEM stripes on GT cars?? Does anyone have them? (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/oem-stripes-gt-cars-does-anyone-have-them-529318/)

MRGTX 4/1/14 05:49 AM

OEM stripes on GT cars?? Does anyone have them?

Guys,
correct me if I'm wrong but there were OEM vinyl stripes that could be ordered on GTs. Is that right? If so, I don't think I have ever seen them.

Does anyone have them? How do they look? How are they holding up?

Were they installed at the dealership or at the factory?

SoFlaBoss 4/1/14 07:06 AM

5 Attachment(s)
My 2013 GT has the Over The Top stripes, which I ordered and they were installed at the factory. They are holding up great. But then my stang spends most of its time in a garage.

Attachment 193896

Attachment 193897

Attachment 193898

Attachment 193899

Attachment 193900

Rando 4/1/14 07:16 AM

I have the OEM stripe, same as v6. It's a DD and has held it's color for almost 2 years

CiniZter 4/1/14 10:56 AM

i have oem super snake stripe.. actually they show up in the window sticker but they are installed at the dealership and they use third party vinyl installers to install it who use their own product.. this is what happened in my case... 1 yr now no issue though.

SoFlaBoss 4/1/14 11:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by CiniZter (Post 6781802)
i have oem super snake stripe.. actually they show up in the window sticker but they are installed at the dealership and they use third party vinyl installers to install it who use their own product.. this is what happened in my case... 1 yr now no issue though.

Mine were installed at the factory. Here they are when my stang arrived in So. Florida.

Attachment 193892

Thomas S 4/1/14 01:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My 2011 came with factory OTT stripes. It's vinyl and they are holding up great. It's a daily driver with 25k miles. It's garage kept but it sits out in the sun every day. The dealership put crappy painted on pin stripes which have since been removed.

Thomas S 4/1/14 01:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by SoFlaBoss (Post 6781691)
My 2013 GT has the Over The Top stripes, which I ordered and they were installed at the factory. They are holding up great. But then my stang spends most of its time in a garage. The OTT stripes weren't available on the 11-12 MY. However, there were other stripe options from the factory for yours.

Not true! :D

SoFlaBoss 4/1/14 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Thomas S (Post 6781883)
Not true! :D

I stand corrected! Yours is the first of the 11-12 MY I've seen with the OTT Racing Stripe. Cool! I even bought a 2011 and a 2012. However, they were a V6 MCA Package and a Boss 302, so a different stripe on either one wasn't an option.

5.0 Candy REDCS 4/18/14 08:26 AM

My '11 GT/CS came with door fadeout stripes, kinda subtle and yeah, love them. they balance the sides perfectly.... been on since I bought it in October 2010 and holding up just fine!
They're also model specific to the GT/CS so I did not want to alter the original overall look FORD deemed as OEM equipment for these CS!

TheDivaDanielle 4/18/14 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by CiniZter (Post 6781802)

this confuses me.. your stripes are def. not OEM.

13Stang 4/18/14 09:21 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I have the 2013 OEM Appearance Pack decals on my car #DR3Z-6320000-DAF Silver Stripe Kit from Ford.

Plim 4/18/14 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by 13Stang (Post 6790111)
I have the 2013 OEM Appearance Pack decals on my car #DR3Z-6320000-DAF Silver Stripe Kit from Ford.

I thought that was a 2014 option? In 2013 there was no appearance pack available, was there?

Last1 4/18/14 10:11 AM

I rented a new 2013 sterling silver GT last year and it had the same over the top stripe in black. No way Hertz installed aftermarket stripes on a rental car.

Getportfolio 4/18/14 10:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by 5.0 Candy REDCS (Post 6790090)
My '11 GT/CS came with door fadeout stripes, kinda subtle and yeah, love them. they balance the sides perfectly.... been on since I bought it in October 2010 and holding up just fine! They're also model specific to the GT/CS so I did not want to alter the original overall look FORD deemed as OEM equipment for these CS!

Agreed. That stripe looks awesome on any GTCS color. It sold me in person.

70monte 4/18/14 11:43 PM

My window sticker says "tape stripe delete" on it. What style of stripe does this refer to?

Wayne

5.0 Candy REDCS 4/19/14 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by 70monte (Post 6790598)
My window sticker says "tape stripe delete" on it. What style of stripe does this refer to?

Wayne

This statement always confused me, " Tape stripe delete" to me refers to" delete the application of ANY stripe"; delete/ remove. LOL

shouldhavegottheGT 4/19/14 11:44 AM

I wouldn't do factory stripes. They never go bumper to bumper unless it's a Shelby. They also charge about $400 which is the same price any decal shop would charge for installation and you can get exactly what you want.

VidPro 4/19/14 04:57 PM

I'm thinking of striping my car when I get it. Is there any worry about uneven paint wear? I assume current clear coats block uv pretty well so in a few years if I get tired of them or want to change them the paint should be fine.

MRGTX 4/23/14 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by shouldhavegottheGT (Post 6790809)
I wouldn't do factory stripes. They never go bumper to bumper unless it's a Shelby. They also charge about $400 which is the same price any decal shop would charge for installation and you can get exactly what you want.

I hear you on this...but there's something inherently cool about a factory option where a custom stripe can come across as a bit too much. Personal taste...but it's easy to cross over into "ricer" territory if you over do it.

Originally Posted by VidPro (Post 6791031)
I'm thinking of striping my car when I get it. Is there any worry about uneven paint wear? I assume current clear coats block uv pretty well so in a few years if I get tired of them or want to change them the paint should be fine.

Yes. As far as I know, If your car gets a lot of weather exposure, the paint under the vinyl will always age differently. It might not be as noticable as it was on older cars with less fade resistant finishes but I suspect you'll still be able to see where the stripes "were" when you remove them.

It's probably worth the risk though. Just keep your whole car clean and waxed...and I suspect that you could have it compounded when the stripes come off to minimize the artifacts if necessary.

Hopefully someone with more specific experience can lend their opinion.

VidPro 4/23/14 09:41 AM

Thanks! I'm also wondering about how you deal with waxing the car. I would assume wax on the stripes might not look so great. Seems like a pain if that's the case.