2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Nice guy backs into my car

Search this Thread

Old 1/7/12, 01:08 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice guy backs into my car

So, I'm having breakfast this morning with my wife, son, sister and father in law and a guy comes in asking every table, "Do you have a mustang???"

I of course was just hoping that I had left my lights on. NOPE, he had backed in with his F150. Not a big deal he wasn't going really fast but there is damage.

https://themustangsource.com/members.../hood-boo-boo/

I'm clearly the only one who doesn't know how to just import a jpg.....

The hood itself has taken a good fist sized ding which pushes back an Inch to an Inch and a Half. I've never had an aluminum hood repaired. Is it even doable. I assume it is, since it's pretty minor? If so, is it pricey??? Is it similar in price to having a steel hood repaired? If it's going to be sizable bucks I might just throw in a few more and get a nice aftermarket hood. There are so many nice ones....

There is other damage to my grill and surround and some scraping of the bumper, but it certainly could have been so much worse and it was nice to meet an honest man.

If you have any experience with aluminum please chime in...
Old 1/7/12, 01:17 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 643 Likes on 463 Posts
Replace it.
Old 1/7/12, 01:17 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ouch man sorry to hear that! At least he came in to tell you.
Old 1/7/12, 01:20 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It looks like his insurance company will be buying you a new hood, front fascia and grille.

Old 1/7/12, 01:51 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Sorry to see this Eric. A good body shop can fix this just as good as new.
Old 1/7/12, 01:56 PM
Bullitt Member

the scratches on the bumper you can buff out. I would replace the hood with an after market one and replace the stock grill.
Old 1/7/12, 03:16 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It will be hard to get the roll just perfect on the front of the hood. Hopefully they will replace it. I think it is double walled there but a good body shop could fix it. Depends on time to repair vs price of new.

The grill is toast too.....but someone might want it to work it out and salvage it. Takes some time but looks like it would be fixable....then maybe a flat black paint job.

The bumper cover has scratches that look to be thru the paint.....at least a paint job there.
Old 1/7/12, 03:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

it would take more time for a shop to try and repair that then it's worth. I'm sure you will get a new hood out if it. if it's just a dollar amount you'll be getting I'm sure you cold get an aftermarket hood for about what the factory one costs. I'm doubtful the bumper will Buff out to whoever said that..
At least the guy was honest. If you can get a nice hood oout of it at least that will put a positive spin on it.
Old 1/7/12, 04:16 PM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Ouch, that's nasty. Sorry to see this, Eric.

Still, kudos to the F150 driver for putting his hand up.........I fear the majority wouldn't these days
Old 1/7/12, 04:39 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
That sucks but it's not major damage. If he has good insurance you'll be OK. I hate to see a scratch on my car so I can imagine how you feel.
Old 1/7/12, 04:48 PM
Cobra Member

FIRST, thanks for all of the concern, it could have been a lot worse! NO ONE was hurt, the man was honest he had insurance and I get a chance to UPGRADE!!! Ultimately a win....

I would love to get a saleen powerflow hood or maybe a venom. Depends on the price of a new hood and or repair costs for the stock aluminum.

Has anyone replaced the stocker and if so what is the cost???

Last edited by eric n; 1/7/12 at 04:53 PM.
Old 1/7/12, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by eric n
FIRST, thanks for all of the concern, it could have been a lot worse! NO ONE was hurt, the man was honest he had insurance and I get a chance to UPGRADE!!! Ultimately a win....

I would love to get a saleen powerflow hood or maybe a venom. Depends on the price of a new hood and or repair costs for the stock aluminum.

Has anyone replaced the stocker and if so what is the cost???
Man, you are IN LUCK!

My insurance (SafeCo) quoted the stock hood as $1300 (crazy!!) without paint and labor, which is the same as the Saleen! I went with TruFiber which was only $560. Looking back, I should've gotten the Saleen, sold it, THEN bought the TF myself.

Insurance will replace the hood for sure. I had a MUCH smaller dent and the adjustor said something about aluminum hoods not easily repaired so they had to give me a new one.

EDIT: Get an aftermarket bumper while you're at it! WIN-WIN

Very nice of him to look for the owner. Most people would have taken off.

Last edited by JimmyM; 1/7/12 at 05:08 PM.
Old 1/7/12, 05:20 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by JimmyM
Man, you are IN LUCK!

My insurance (SafeCo) quoted the stock hood as $1300 (crazy!!) without paint and labor, which is the same as the Saleen! I went with TruFiber which was only $560. Looking back, I should've gotten the Saleen, sold it, THEN bought the TF myself.

Insurance will replace the hood for sure. I had a MUCH smaller dent and the adjustor said something about aluminum hoods not easily repaired so they had to give me a new one.

EDIT: Get an aftermarket bumper while you're at it! WIN-WIN

Very nice of him to look for the owner. Most people would have taken off.
Assuming there is extra I might get the Venom and a little striping if I can work it....

FUNNY STORY I own a Mixed Martial Arts gym. I've been training fighters since 1984 and have been in martial arts, boxing, muay thai... since the 1960's. So my License Plate says BAKOMMA (Bako because I live in Bakersfield) So he's asking everyone if they have a mustang with BAKO MOMMA plates. I'm pretty sure I look NOTHING like the MOMMA he was expecting to find.
Old 1/7/12, 05:36 PM
GT Member

definitely get a aftermarket hood and pocket the change. anyone with good insurance want too hit my hood?
Old 1/7/12, 06:47 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
as big and scary as you are I am glad the guy came up as asked.

I some might of seen you and ran for the hills.

What about a gt500 hood? since the grill and other parts have to be replaced
Old 1/7/12, 07:58 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by eric n
Assuming there is extra I might get the Venom and a little striping if I can work it....

FUNNY STORY I own a Mixed Martial Arts gym. I've been training fighters since 1984 and have been in martial arts, boxing, muay thai... since the 1960's. So my License Plate says BAKOMMA (Bako because I live in Bakersfield) So he's asking everyone if they have a mustang with BAKO MOMMA plates. I'm pretty sure I look NOTHING like the MOMMA he was expecting to find.
You'll get over it Eric, no frame damage...just replaceable plastic parts.
Speaking of MMA, you've probably heard of GSP, well he lives not to far from me !
Good luck with everything.
Old 1/7/12, 08:18 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by montreal ponies
You'll get over it Eric, no frame damage...just replaceable plastic parts.
Speaking of MMA, you've probably heard of GSP, well he lives not to far from me !
Good luck with everything.
I'm a huge GSP fan, clearly pound for pound top three in the world maybe #1. Always handles himself with class, (something sadly lacking the the world of mma). I consider him the Sugar Ray Leonard of MMA. Hope he is recovering well from his recent injuries.

If you ever run into him, let him know he has a lot of fans south of the border.....
Old 1/7/12, 09:25 PM
GT Member

that really sucks about the hood damage, it's going to need to be replaced (aluminum) if it was steel there may have been a chance but doubtful due to the double panel. It was nice of the guy to come in and tell you, so many people just leave the scene or act like they "didn't know" they hit you. Good luck with the repairs.
Old 1/7/12, 11:50 PM
GT Member

the car looks so good with the stock hood... too bad you want to change it to aftermarket... glad the guy came and told you; still a good world we live in.
Old 1/7/12, 11:57 PM

Where's those kind of guys where I live. Could always use a newer stang ....maybe an automatic...still don't have it down. Stalling on the road sucks :/

Quick Reply: Nice guy backs into my car