The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2010-2014 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/)
-   -   New member, Almost new Mustang owner (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/new-member-almost-new-mustang-owner-494290/)

jimmbbo 4/16/11 08:11 PM

New member, Almost new Mustang owner

Hey!

Am picking up my '11 GT Premium on Thursday after a year of looking (the last three months seriously)... Been lurking on the forum, and you have unintentionally been very helpful in my "crash course" at Mustang U... (sorry :stirpot:), so I figured I'd join and add whatever I can to the discussion...

This is my first Ford, which is a MAJOR adjustment... Was a diehard Chevy man in HS and college (2 x 56s, 1 x 57, 2 x Camaros), had three Hondas and an Acura since 1979, but absolutely fell in love with the new Mustang's lines the first time I saw it.

I was able to resist because of the old engine and a FIVE SPEED manual (In a 21st century pony car? WTF?!?!), but when the 2011 came out with the 5.0L Coyote engine and a 6 MT, I was a goner...:wub:

I'm kinda like a kid at Christmas waiting for Thursday... keeping busy by making lists of the final details, what additions I want to make to the car and reading Mustang forums.

Thanks for all your (unintentional) help so far. I hope I can contribute to the high quality of this forum as I learn about my first Ford....

Cheers!

Jim

TheReaper 4/16/11 08:27 PM

Wow dude you sound like a ricer coming into the muscle car family.
Welcome to the club. I hope it all works for you and the 2011 GT is one hell of a car.

I was kidding about the ricer thing.:rofl2:

danimal15 4/16/11 08:29 PM

Congrats, and welcome to the world of Mustangs! Definitely share photos once you have the new car.

jimmbbo 4/16/11 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by TheReaper (Post 6053518)
Wow dude you sound like a ricer coming into the muscle car family.
Welcome to the club. I hope it all works for you and the 2011 GT is one hell of a car.

I was kidding about the ricer thing.:rofl2:

OUCH! :lol: I couldn't stop grinning after I did my first test drive... gonna be a riot!

jimmbbo 4/16/11 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by danimal15 (Post 6053520)
Congrats, and welcome to the world of Mustangs! Definitely share photos once you have the new car.

Thanks! You bet... pics are high on the list...

Twin Turbo 4/16/11 11:47 PM

Welcome to TMS.

The nice thing is about this place is that most of us are true car enthusiasts, which means there's a lot of respect for other marques. Sure, there's some rib poking going on, but it's all harmless fun.

That being said, congrats on chooing the best new car on sale :D

Looking forward to the photos :)

eliyarbrough 4/17/11 12:11 AM

Confrats & welcome!! You sure got in line @ a great time. Can't wait to see & hear more about it. Did you say anything about colors?

Double-EDad 4/17/11 07:04 AM

Welcome to your new automotive family, Jimmbbo! Your interest/background sounds similar to mine - I wonder what finally pulled you in? In my case, I simply had some time to kill and was near a Ford dealer so figured I'd just go LOOK at the then-new 2010s. The salesman talked me into a test drive instead and it was all over from that point! Thankfully I waited until the '11's came out to buy, but that 2010 coupe would have been a sweetheart of a deal too.

Good luck with your new car, I hope you have many great miles with it. The one thing we ask of you is that if you add a mod, you report on this site what you think of it, including dyno/time sheets as applicable! :nice:

Oh, and photos are a MUST! :stirpot:

David Young 4/17/11 07:15 AM

Welcome. My Son has two Honda's, a Civic and a Civic Si :(. I tell him all the time, i should have named him Honda :).

james dean 4/17/11 07:16 AM

hey jimbo, i was also a die hard chevy dude in high school, always had chevelles, test dove a 2008 alloy grey stang with a 4.6 5spd, ive had her for a year now and not sorry. good luck with your new ride!! (james dean)

c0achmke 4/17/11 07:27 AM

Glad you are joining the good guys. With all the 11-12 coyote love the 10s are still great cars even with the lowly 5 speed and less power, but remember how happy we all were when all the big car magazines were amazed how a Mustang GT that gave up 100 hp to dodge and chevy still beat the camaro and challenger in every test.

jimmbbo 4/17/11 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Double-EDad (Post 6053670)
Welcome to your new automotive family, Jimmbbo! Your interest/background sounds similar to mine - I wonder what finally pulled you in?

I vividly recall driving home from work when I saw what LOOKED like a Mustang, but somehow different... Did a 180 and tracked the car down.. was a new 2005... (Have always liked the Mustang's lines, but owned Camaros which were CHEVYS! :))

From that moment, the back of my head was seared with the message "Now THAT is a fine looking car!", but had no immediate need for a car, much less car payments.

Fast forward six years, and I decided to replace my '94 Prelude, which coincided with the '11 introduction. The combination of the Coyote and 6MT made it PERFECT.

Started looking, but work kept me too busy to get serious. Work eased in January, and by March the '12s were coming up, and plenty of '11s were available at HUGE discount... the stars aligned, the skies parted, the drums rolled... DONE DEAL!

jimmbbo 4/17/11 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by james dean (Post 6053673)
hey jimbo, i was also a die hard chevy dude in high school, always had chevelles, test dove a 2008 alloy grey stang with a 4.6 5spd, ive had her for a year now and not sorry. good luck with your new ride!! (james dean)

Do you have withdrawal symptoms? :)

jimmbbo 4/17/11 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by eliyarbrough (Post 6053616)
Confrats & welcome!! You sure got in line @ a great time. Can't wait to see & hear more about it. Did you say anything about colors?

Thanks!!

Would be happy with Ingot Silver, Race Red, Candy Red or Sterling Gray, but every time I saw a Sterling Gray car, I knew THAT was the color I wanted, IF the options and price were right...

My very patient Internet Sales Rep tracked one down after about three weeks of 10+ window stickers a day at what I consider a killer price... He deserves an award...

montreal ponies 4/17/11 01:23 PM

Hey Jim, gratz and welcome to the one year run SG owner's club. See you posting elsewhere once in a while, but this is where it all happens. Great bunch. Post pics please. :nice:

knk11stang 4/17/11 03:54 PM

Wlecome!Welcome!:banana:

The only problem you will have is the perma smile that is attached to your face.You just can't seem to stop smiling!:D