2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Search this Thread

Old 11/25/10, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys!! Just joined. Chicago-land area. Major gear-head for years. I am currently in the market for a 2011 Stang. Dilemma is this, I want to spend no more than about 30 K for a 2011 and am torn between a stripped GT 5.0 or a V-6 Premium Coupe pretty loaded with Pony, comfort, security and 3.31 gear. I have found dealers with stripped (relatively) 5.0 for about 30K.

I do know the performance difference is substantial BUT is the fuel usage substantial too (V-6 versus V-8)??

Any thoughts about which way to go on this??

FWIW, current driver is 04 C32 AMG that runs 12.6 at 111 in qtr. Yes, its a C Class.

The stang will not replace this car.
Old 11/25/10, 01:02 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought a pre-owned GT w/1,921 miles for $28,988. I am royally surprised by the MPG I'm getting! Going 65, I get 28. Going 70, about 26. I say try & get both!!! My gears are 3:15's. On another post a member ran like a 12.57 1/4 @ 116. Stock Auto, too. Mine's an Auto, forgot that.

I saw on some forum where a guy was selling his 5.0. I'll try & find that for you.

Sorry, can't find it. I'll look later. Really thought I saw that on here. It's where I do my '11 looking. Can't remember, sorry.

Last edited by eliyarbrough; 11/25/10 at 01:58 PM.
Old 11/25/10, 03:24 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Welcome to The Mustang Source!
Old 11/25/10, 07:25 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First: WELCOME! Second: Wow, that's a tough call. Love the HP of my 5.0. But, I love all the, "luxury" of my premium (especially electronics package). I guess you have to ask yourself which is more important to you.

I actually considered a 6 cylinder as the new sixer is a really nice mill. So for all practical purposes it produces all the HP anyone really needs. But, then again there is no such thing as ENOUGH.

Either way, you'll have a great car....ENJOY!
Old 11/25/10, 08:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Do you want power or luxury? for $30K new, your can't have both.
Old 11/26/10, 07:14 AM
Cobra R Member

I too was torn between the V6 and V8 for all the same reasons and cost-sensitivity. I think Eric n nailed it above - 305 HP seems like it'd be enough - until you try 412. Then again 412 seems like enough, until you read about 444 (upcoming Boss 302). Then again 550 hp looks even better...

My 2 cents:
  1. There are discounts out there, and if you don't go crazy with options, you can definitely get a 5.0 premium coupe for under $35K, maybe for close to $30k. Check out the X-Plan.
  2. There's more to it that what you can see & feel. You also HEAR your car and I can't begin to convey how great it feels every time I start my 5.0. - the bark and sound cannot be matched by the V6, especially now that I have my GT500/SVT axle-back exhaust. My 10-yr-old girl now says it for me: "This NEVER gets old!"
  3. Test drive BOTH cars and THEN decide. If the V6 seems "good enough", then there ya go. But don't decide until you've taken that 5.0 to over 6000 rpm and felt the pull and sound in that 6000-7000 rpm band...
  4. My mpg in average commuting is between 21 and 22, only about 1 to 2 mpg less than my erstwhile Accord V6. I've not been on a highway trip in it yet.
The V6 is a great car, but I am glad I got the V8 every time I start it, every time I look under the hood, and every time I drive it. Hopefully this helps, but ultimately the decision is up to you -it's your money.

Last edited by Double-EDad; 11/26/10 at 07:15 AM.
Old 11/26/10, 07:29 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Look for a dealer that sells under invoice and then try to get the rebates and the $750 coupon if its still offered. Should get a GT premuim for around 30K for a stick with 18" wheels.

Last edited by RedCandy5.0; 11/26/10 at 07:31 AM.
Old 11/26/10, 07:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Double-EDad
I too was torn between the V6 and V8 for all the same reasons and cost-sensitivity. I think Eric n nailed it above - 305 HP seems like it'd be enough - until you try 412. Then again 412 seems like enough, until you read about 444 (upcoming Boss 302). Then again 550 hp looks even better...

My 2 cents:
  1. There are discounts out there, and if you don't go crazy with options, you can definitely get a 5.0 premium coupe for under $35K, maybe for close to $30k. Check out the X-Plan.
  2. There's more to it that what you can see & feel. You also HEAR your car and I can't begin to convey how great it feels every time I start my 5.0. - the bark and sound cannot be matched by the V6, especially now that I have my GT500/SVT axle-back exhaust. My 10-yr-old girl now says it for me: "This NEVER gets old!"
  3. Test drive BOTH cars and THEN decide. If the V6 seems "good enough", then there ya go. But don't decide until you've taken that 5.0 to over 6000 rpm and felt the pull and sound in that 6000-7000 rpm band...
  4. My mpg in average commuting is between 21 and 22, only about 1 to 2 mpg less than my erstwhile Accord V6. I've not been on a highway trip in it yet.
The V6 is a great car, but I am glad I got the V8 every time I start it, every time I look under the hood, and every time I drive it. Hopefully this helps, but ultimately the decision is up to you -it's your money.

Not to be a "me too post" But this is about what i was going to say with one lil difference .
As we test drove both cars we took out a V6 with perf pkg and it drove very nice.
Then we took out a V8 vert with of course auto trans and we didn't get 3 blocks and my Wife turns to me and says "This is what a mustang is" I asked what ?
She said the SOUND!!
Now is it worth the extra $$ when you have a fast car at home ? I cant say i can only say Have fun shopping and test drive them ALL !!
Old 11/26/10, 08:26 AM
Bullitt Member

I knew that a V6 had enough power for what I needed (city driving) but it just didn't have the experience of the V8. If you want transportation, buy the V6. If you want an experience everytime you drive somewhere, buy the V8.
Old 11/26/10, 08:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

I dont own a new Mustang but trust me I have had the same thoughts. Each person is different on whats important to them. I did some serious soul searching about this. For me, I would go for the Base GT. But that might not be the right car for you. I am very impressed with the V6 models these days. That said, I love the sound and torque of a V8. Im not smart enough to operate all the electronic stuff so I would really like to have a drivers car so the Gt is for me. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Old 11/26/10, 06:58 PM

My 2 cents:
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. What is the X Plan??

I have been searching Hi and low for a Stang and there's SO many out there for 2011 models, its daunting. I have found several stripped 5.0 for $30-32 K and a ton of V-6 for $25-30 K (with much more equipment than the base 5.0) I drove a V-6 this past week with the 3.31 gear and was quite impressed with the acceleration and handling feel as well. Not as quick as my C32 S/C with V-6, but quite impressive to say the least and build quality is second to none.

Again, thanks for the warm welcome, BUT I think you guys got me looking at a base 5.0??

Again, whats the X plan??
Old 11/26/10, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Newzchspy

I have been searching Hi and low for a Stang and there's SO many out there for 2011 models, its daunting. I have found several stripped 5.0 for $30-32 K and a ton of V-6 for $25-30 K (with much more equipment than the base 5.0) I drove a V-6 this past week with the 3.31 gear and was quite impressed with the acceleration and handling feel as well. Not as quick as my C32 S/C with V-6, but quite impressive to say the least and build quality is second to none.

Again, thanks for the warm welcome, BUT I think you guys got me looking at a base 5.0??

Again, whats the X plan??
FWIW, in the Chicagoland area , there seems to be a ton more GTs on the lots than V-6. Does this mean they are selling more V-6 or building more GTs?? Anyone know??
Old 11/26/10, 07:03 PM

Great point about the sound of the 5.0 as MB is very hard to mod exhaust wise without other issues and CELs. Since I already have a mid 12 second car, the Stang would be a welcome addition to the stable. I was thinking about the Pony Package, Comfort, Performance rear axle 3.31 and rear spoiler for about 29 K with auto. You can't get the Performance Package for the V-6 in auto, manual only, so that knocks the PP out of the park for me.
Old 11/26/10, 08:14 PM
V6 Member

Hi Guys!! Just joined. Chicago-land area. Major gear-head for years. I am currently in the market for a 2011 Stang. Dilemma is this, I want to spend no more than about 30 K for a 2011 and am torn between a stripped GT 5.0 or a V-6 Premium Coupe pretty loaded with Pony, comfort, security and 3.31 gear. I have found dealers with stripped (relatively) 5.0 for about 30K.

I do know the performance difference is substantial BUT is the fuel usage substantial too (V-6 versus V-8)??

Any thoughts about which way to go on this??

FWIW, current driver is 04 C32 AMG that runs 12.6 at 111 in qtr. Yes, its a C Class.

The stang will not replace this car.
Welcome to the site!

I just purchased my 2011 about 3 weeks ago and was at $30,900 for a GT Premium. I started by going to Costco.com and going through their auto purchase program. This got me hooked up with a dealer that honored the Costco pricing. I think it came out to 200 under invoice. Then I got the current $1,000 rebate to get me down to my final price. I think given the time of year and with the current rebate offer you should be able to get very close to your target of $30k for a GT Premium. Don't be afraid to work your salesman over, get two dealers working against each other will also help get you a price you want. Best of luck!
Old 11/26/10, 08:26 PM
MOTM Committee Member

A long-time member here Knight, works at a dealership in/near Chicago. I've PM'd him this thread. He should be very helpful
Old 11/27/10, 08:01 AM
Cobra R Member

1st I'll say that "Search" on this forum is your friend. Secondly, in a nutshell, Ford has a number of discount plants for employees, Ford family members, etc. (A, Y, X, CDEFG....), but the "X" seems to be the most available to the general public. The "X"-Plan is a fixed, non-negotiable price agreement that Ford offers to employees of certain partner companies (that I guess buy a number of Ford vehicles). Ford posts a list of the partner companies for the X-Plan somewhere (Google is your friend).

But the good news is that Ford stock owners also have access to the X-Plan, with certain restrictions. Again a search of this forum should reveal all the deets. Buy some Ford stock shares and you're in! (as opposed to the fact that if you pay taxes you've ALREADY bought stock in Government Motors, and yet get no discount b/c of it).

Even more good news: In addition to the X-Plan pricing, most rebates and "Customer Cash" coupons can be applied ON TOP of the X-Plan discounted price.

Even MORE more good news: In addition to all the pricing discounts, the X-Plan puts a ceiling of $75 on what a dealer can charge for their evil "processing fee", which in MY case saved me another $424 (they would have charged me $499, those inconsiderate bastards).

The X-Plan is a HUGE reason I bought my car...

Last edited by Double-EDad; 11/27/10 at 08:03 AM.
Old 11/27/10, 10:52 AM
Bullitt Member

You can easily get X-plan by joining the MCA. (Mustang Club of America)
Old 12/12/10, 10:17 AM

1st I'll say that "Search" on this forum is your friend. Secondly, in a nutshell, Ford has a number of discount plants for employees, Ford family members, etc. (A, Y, X, CDEFG....), but the "X" seems to be the most available to the general public. The "X"-Plan is a fixed, non-negotiable price agreement that Ford offers to employees of certain partner companies (that I guess buy a number of Ford vehicles). Ford posts a list of the partner companies for the X-Plan somewhere (Google is your friend).

But the good news is that Ford stock owners also have access to the X-Plan, with certain restrictions. Again a search of this forum should reveal all the deets. Buy some Ford stock shares and you're in! (as opposed to the fact that if you pay taxes you've ALREADY bought stock in Government Motors, and yet get no discount b/c of it).

Even more good news: In addition to the X-Plan pricing, most rebates and "Customer Cash" coupons can be applied ON TOP of the X-Plan discounted price.

Even MORE more good news: In addition to all the pricing discounts, the X-Plan puts a ceiling of $75 on what a dealer can charge for their evil "processing fee", which in MY case saved me another $424 (they would have charged me $499, those inconsiderate bastards).

The X-Plan is a HUGE reason I bought my car...
Dad, thanks for the great advice. I googled X Plan and there's like 500 links to it. I guess my next move it to join the MCA and get in on that.

As an aside, I was at a local Ford dealer in the Chicago-land area and apparently, the "builds" for 2012 are starting right after the new year (2011) and Vins are being issued for both customer and dealer cars ordered since Nov 2010. The guy asked me if I wanted to get a 2011 since they are no longer being built after this year or order a 2012 ?? Does this sound accurate??

One final question. Is it possible to put the 3.31 rear end in an automatic car (2011 V-6 engined car) aftermarket and how does this affect the ECM?? I found a 'vertible I really like but it has the stock rear end ??
Old 12/12/10, 11:00 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Here is a link to Apple Valley Ford, in the Twin Cities, not too far from you. They have several GT Premiums right around the price you are looking for (most are $4-5000 below sticker). Worth checking out. Fly in and drive home

http://www.applevalleyford.com/brows...&Model=Mustang
Old 12/12/10, 05:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Dad, thanks for the great advice. I googled X Plan and there's like 500 links to it. I guess my next move it to join the MCA and get in on that.

As an aside, I was at a local Ford dealer in the Chicago-land area and apparently, the "builds" for 2012 are starting right after the new year (2011) and Vins are being issued for both customer and dealer cars ordered since Nov 2010. The guy asked me if I wanted to get a 2011 since they are no longer being built after this year or order a 2012 ?? Does this sound accurate??

One final question. Is it possible to put the 3.31 rear end in an automatic car (2011 V-6 engined car) aftermarket and how does this affect the ECM?? I found a 'vertible I really like but it has the stock rear end ??
You can put whatever rear gear that you want aftermarket (2.5X-4.1X) just have to get the ECM flashed to compensate. Majority of upgrades that I have seen are to 3.73 or 4.10.

If your gona buy a V6, don't buy it for its performance, you will regret it later.

And its no longer possible to order a 2011. Production schedule is full until 2012 begins.

Last edited by YSUsteven; 12/12/10 at 05:19 PM.

Quick Reply: New Member