The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2010-2014 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/)
-   -   New 305-HP Engine, 6-Speed Transmission Expected to Deliver 30MPG Highway (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/new-305-hp-engine-6-speed-transmission-expected-deliver-30mpg-highway-478793/)

SpOnkey21 12/1/09 12:23 PM

I want to echo the request for info on select shift. Does anyone know if there is any kind of selectshift/paddle option with the auto? I know many of you on a sit like this only care about manual, and that is cool. But a lot of the Mustang public likes auto and would appreciate the opportunity to have some control over gears on occasion.

laserred38 12/1/09 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mark S. (Post 5771855)
Insurance companies are NOT going to like the hike in horsepower for the V6 model...Ford has always prided itself in offering a non-performance model Mustang for those on tighter on budgets...the insurance companies will now see the 305HP V6 as a "performance" model akin to the GT...and the rates will go up accordingly...

I partly agree. With this new model, I think there is still room under it for a real "base model". Say with the 263hp 3.5, but keep everything the same (limited slip, dual exhaust) to keep costs down on differentiating models. Then sell it $2-3k less than whatever this model will sell for. Gives a good alternative to rental fleets and secretaries! :nice:

Five Oh Brian 12/1/09 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Dave07997S (Post 5771773)
What they didn't mention in the press release is the 6 spd. auto going to have a select shift function?

Dave

They didn't mention it, but I can't imagine them not coming with select shift. T-Bird got it in 2006, Fusion V6 and Taurus got it in 2010, why wouldn't the sportiest car in the lineup get it for 2011?

eci 12/1/09 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian (Post 5771879)
They didn't mention it, but I can't imagine them not coming with select shift. T-Bird got it in 2006, Fusion V6 and Taurus got it in 2010, why wouldn't the sportiest car in the lineup get it for 2011?

T-Bird was a $40,000 car, and the SST was a $100 option!!

laserred38 12/1/09 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian (Post 5771879)

Exactly. Also, the photos they released of the interior obviously focus on the gauges and left out any inkling of what to expect on the shifter/push button start options. If the Taurus can have push button start, the Mustang can. Ford is listening to its owners. Many S197 owners have added sequential tailights and push button start kits to their rides. Might as well make them standard and capitalize on that market!

eci 12/1/09 01:07 PM

Push button start is dumb. I hope they don't add it. I prefer a direct mechanical interrupt ( key ) to the ignition system.

laserred38 12/1/09 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by eci (Post 5771886)
Push button start is dumb. I hope they don't add it. I prefer a direct mechanical interrupt ( key ) to the ignition system.

Can't say I'm a fan either. It's just an extra step every time you start your car. But many owners on this site have added it because it looks cool and it gets them one step closer to owning a Ferrari hah. :rofl2:

All-Or-Nothing 12/1/09 01:31 PM

Should be fine. Fords don't have sudden acceleration and floormats that jam the gas pedal.

Coupe66US 12/1/09 01:58 PM

I know im in the minority here, but I don't want lambo doors either. :grin:

metroplex 12/1/09 03:13 PM

My Cobalt has direct injection (along with the stock turbo). It makes 260 hp stock but its limited to 260 ft-lb by the stock tune. Most of the people that added GM's stage 1 kit (just a retune with new MAP sensors) are getting well over 300 bhp. This is with a 2.0L DOHC I4. Looking at the other parts added to the SS/TC over the base LT, the direct injection system was peanuts in $$. There's nothing significantly complicated during manufacturing or assembly. It's the engine design that is the biggest cost driver.

Overboost 12/1/09 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by metroplex (Post 5771934)
My Cobalt has direct injection (along with the stock turbo). It makes 260 hp stock but its limited to 260 ft-lb by the stock tune. Most of the people that added GM's stage 1 kit (just a retune with new MAP sensors) are getting well over 300 bhp. This is with a 2.0L DOHC I4. Looking at the other parts added to the SS/TC over the base LT, the direct injection system was peanuts in $$. There's nothing significantly complicated during manufacturing or assembly. It's the engine design that is the biggest cost driver.

Same as the EB engines, it's a simple retrofit package that can be applied to the engine. I don't see why they wouldn't be able to peel the DI out seperately from the turbos and install it in the near future.

Like you, I was limited by the stock tune on my car. It would only allow 15.6 psi of boost and taper off, and restricted the throttle body to about 60-65% open at WOT. After a Cobb AP reflash/tune, the TB opens up to nearly 90%, and the car holds 18.5 psi til redline.

Clino 12/1/09 03:36 PM

So when do we think the press will be getting their hands on the 2011s so we can get an idea of what they will actually do?

Numbers are all fine and dandy, but how they translate into the feel and actual performance are what will really be interesting.

classix_stang289 12/1/09 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by All-Or-Nothing (Post 5771897)
Should be fine. Fords don't have sudden acceleration and floormats that jam the gas pedal.

first off dont blame it on the floor mats(talking about the toyota issue). Second off its all the idiots who stack 2-4 floor mats on top of each other, especially mats that dont belong there and dont fit properly then it gets stuck on the pedal then they run there car into a wall and die and you blame it on the mats.

i call :bs: on this comment.

metroplex 12/1/09 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Overboost (Post 5771942)
Same as the EB engines, it's a simple retrofit package that can be applied to the engine. I don't see why they wouldn't be able to peel the DI out seperately from the turbos and install it in the near future.

Like you, I was limited by the stock tune on my car. It would only allow 15.6 psi of boost and taper off, and restricted the throttle body to about 60-65% open at WOT. After a Cobb AP reflash/tune, the TB opens up to nearly 90%, and the car holds 18.5 psi til redline.

I test drove a 09 MS3 before I decided to order the 09 SS/TC. The MS3 has insane torque steer in 1st gear, but it was a very fun car to drive! I'm glad to see another performance compact owner that also owns a muscle car! :metal: (07 Mustang GT w/ TR-3650 and 09 Cobalt SS/TC here).

FWIW, the EcoBoost engine idea isn't new - I'm sure you know this already since the DISI in the MS3 (2.3L DOHC I4, direct injected, turbocharged) was out years before the Ford EcoBoost. The Germans have been doing it for nearly a decade with their FSI Audi engines and similar setups (turbocharged, direct fuel injection, variable valve timing, etc...) I just view Direct Injection as the logical progression from multi-port fuel injection. It saddens me to see new engines sold today that are still MPFI or use timing belts.

I agree, that it shouldn't be too hard to adapt the DI part of the EcoBoost V6 since the 3.7 is in the same family as the 3.5

It would have been better if Ford debuted the 305 hp 3.7 much earlier in the smaller cars (Fusion).

A Fusion Sport AWD with a 305 hp 3.7L DOHC V6 would be an awesome daily driver.

The GM Stage 1 kit for the Cobalt SS/TC allows over 21 psi of boost IIRC, and you keep the factory powertrain warranty.

05fordgt 12/1/09 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by yeahyouknwit (Post 5771172)
Hm do you think we might get an option for a push button start then?

At this time, I would say no. They would have to start offering it with Intelligent Access and add a spot on the dash for both a key or a pushbutton (the Tauruses that don't have Push Button Start, the keyhole is where the button would be on the dash). Maybe in 2014, maybe even in 2012, but not yet. :nice:

FordBlueHeart 12/1/09 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by metroplex (Post 5771969)
I test drove a 09 MS3 before I decided to order the 09 SS/TC. The MS3 has insane torque steer in 1st gear, but it was a very fun car to drive! I'm glad to see another performance compact owner that also owns a muscle car! :metal: (07 Mustang GT w/ TR-3650 and 09 Cobalt SS/TC here).

FWIW, the EcoBoost engine idea isn't new - I'm sure you know this already since the DISI in the MS3 (2.3L DOHC I4, direct injected, turbocharged) was out years before the Ford EcoBoost. The Germans have been doing it for nearly a decade with their FSI Audi engines and similar setups (turbocharged, direct fuel injection, variable valve timing, etc...) I just view Direct Injection as the logical progression from multi-port fuel injection. It saddens me to see new engines sold today that are still MPFI or use timing belts.

I agree, that it shouldn't be too hard to adapt the DI part of the EcoBoost V6 since the 3.7 is in the same family as the 3.5

It would have been better if Ford debuted the 305 hp 3.7 much earlier in the smaller cars (Fusion).

A Fusion Sport AWD with a 305 hp 3.7L DOHC V6 would be an awesome daily driver.

The GM Stage 1 kit for the Cobalt SS/TC allows over 21 psi of boost IIRC, and you keep the factory powertrain warranty.

Up until the mustang, the 3.7 was Lincoln only. All front wheel peel or AWD.

metroplex 12/1/09 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by FordBlueHeart (Post 5771975)
Up until the mustang, the 3.7 was Lincoln only. All front wheel peel or AWD.

Nope, the 3.7L DOHC V6 debuted in the 2008 Mazda CX-9, so it's about 2 years old on the market now. However, it's in the same family as the 3.5L DOHC V6 that was already used in several Fords over the years. The MKZ AWD had the 3.5L V6 while the Fusion chugged along with the 3.0L until the 2010 Fusion Sport. Some of the heavier Fords might have switched to a 3.7L V6 by now, I didn't bother to check.

Thomas S 12/1/09 04:25 PM

Push button start is awesome if done right. The new Fiesta has it and you keep the key fob in your pocket. The doors lock and unlock automatically and you just hop in, push the button and go. Nobody can drive your car unless they have the fob.

Why would you want to fiddle around with a key? THAT's dumb.

FordBlueHeart 12/1/09 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by 05fordgt (Post 5771972)
At this time, I would say no. They would have to start offering it with Intelligent Access and add a spot on the dash for both a key or a pushbutton (the Tauruses that don't have Push Button Start, the keyhole is where the button would be on the dash). Maybe in 2014, maybe even in 2012, but not yet. :nice:

When I was still "in the business," we had a camo covered GT500 in Grabber Blue and red stripes roll through our lot on a saturday. I looked at the dash and mentioned I was interested in the 12v outlet location as we were all talking about how the relocation made the aftermarket push button option obsolete. He commented, it will be around next year meaning 2011. If he was off so be it.
I think its pretty cool in the Lincoln MKS.

metroplex 12/1/09 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jimp (Post 5771985)
Push button start is awesome if done right. The new Fiesta has it and you keep the key fob in your pocket. The doors lock and unlock automatically and you just hop in, push the button and go. Nobody can drive your car unless they have the fob.

Why would you want to fiddle around with a key? THAT's dumb.

I always wondered, if your standing next to the car, push the button to open the door (there's a tiny button by the door latch that you push) - what if someone else stood on the opposite side and did the same thing?

I like the convenience of NOT messing around with heavy keys, but I want security as well. Didn't they show on Top Gear how they could drive the Challenger a few hundred feet without the key OR fob because Hammond was sort of close by sitting in the diner?