2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

New '12 Boss Owner, Help!

Search this Thread

Old 3/5/14, 07:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good news thus far: I got to the car yesterday and started it up while waiting for the tow truck (man it sounds good!). I noticed that the clutch travel was extremely short, even shorter then when it had not been shifting into gear the day before. So I reached down and gently pulled up on the clutch. It moved up about 4-6inches and stayed there, and I could shift into gear fine...

I drove the car to the dealership and still noticed some transmission quarks while I was driving. They're supposed to call me today with the news but for now I'm just happy I was able to drive it yesterday!
Old 3/6/14, 06:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wbraun88
Good news thus far: I got to the car yesterday and started it up while waiting for the tow truck (man it sounds good!). I noticed that the clutch travel was extremely short, even shorter then when it had not been shifting into gear the day before. So I reached down and gently pulled up on the clutch. It moved up about 4-6inches and stayed there, and I could shift into gear fine...

I drove the car to the dealership and still noticed some transmission quarks while I was driving. They're supposed to call me today with the news but for now I'm just happy I was able to drive it yesterday!
I understand new owner frustration!
I bought my Boss in Houston in September '13 and have been having a couple odd issues. One of which, it wouldn't ever go into reverse unless I rowed through 1-2 a couple times... took it to the dealer and found out my used Boss has a MGW shifter. Either this is normal or its not installed properly. So, this coming weekend I finally get to jack it up and make sure everything is tightened down correctly.

I hope everything works out though for you! Warranty hopefully should come through and save the day.
Old 3/6/14, 07:20 AM

That's a bit scary to find aftermarket parts on your new-to-you car! Ironically enough though I'm thinking about upgrading to the MGW shifter myself, I've heard excellent things about them so far. Perhaps yours just wasn't installed properly?

I plan on driving this car hard so the last thing I want to do is miss a downshift and damage something and I hear the MGW shifter helps shifting a great deal especially under high RPM's and torque.
Old 3/7/14, 05:01 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Thread is cleaned up.
Back on topic.
Old 3/7/14, 06:02 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,749 Likes on 1,240 Posts
Originally Posted by Krohn
I understand new owner frustration!
I bought my Boss in Houston in September '13 and have been having a couple odd issues. One of which, it wouldn't ever go into reverse unless I rowed through 1-2 a couple times... took it to the dealer and found out my used Boss has a MGW shifter. Either this is normal or its not installed properly. So, this coming weekend I finally get to jack it up and make sure everything is tightened down correctly.
I am guessing it wasn't installed correctly. Maybe the boot isn't on properly?
Old 3/7/14, 06:03 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,749 Likes on 1,240 Posts
That's a bit scary to find aftermarket parts on your new-to-you car! Ironically enough though I'm thinking about upgrading to the MGW shifter myself, I've heard excellent things about them so far. Perhaps yours just wasn't installed properly?
I plan on driving this car hard so the last thing I want to do is miss a downshift and damage something and I hear the MGW shifter helps shifting a great deal especially under high RPM's and torque.
Any word on what might be the cause of your issues?
Old 3/8/14, 10:22 AM

The transmission tech says it's almost certainly the clutch, but there's still a small chance that there is a transmission issue that damaged it. They'll be dropping the transmission on Monday to check it out and should have an answer for me that afternoon. If it's the clutch, it looks like I'm out $1200 on a car I owned 2 days before I couldn't drive it anymore.

HUGE lesson learned, I'll never buy a performance car again from anyone but the person who owned and drove it most recently. *Sigh*
Old 3/8/14, 11:40 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
The transmission tech says it's almost certainly the clutch, but there's still a small chance that there is a transmission issue that damaged it. They'll be dropping the transmission on Monday to check it out and should have an answer for me that afternoon. If it's the clutch, it looks like I'm out $1200 on a car I owned 2 days before I couldn't drive it anymore. HUGE lesson learned, I'll never buy a performance car again from anyone but the person who owned and drove it most recently. *Sigh*
Someday, I'll sell mine. And the person getting it will be the luckiest sob around
Old 3/8/14, 11:56 AM
Bullitt Member

If the dealer you purchased from was Ford, and the work is being done by a Ford dealer, I'd have Deysha intervene and see what could be done for you. There are extremely low odds the clutch went after one trip with no prior issues. While normal wear and tear isn't covered, I would also think an outright failure would be covered under the drivetrain warranty, especially given the clutch issues that have surfaced on these cars when tracked (i.e., under more stress than street driving).
Old 3/10/14, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by KC3333
If the dealer you purchased from was Ford, and the work is being done by a Ford dealer, I'd have Deysha intervene and see what could be done for you. There are extremely low odds the clutch went after one trip with no prior issues. While normal wear and tear isn't covered, I would also think an outright failure would be covered under the drivetrain warranty, especially given the clutch issues that have surfaced on these cars when tracked (i.e., under more stress than street driving).
My luck isn't good enough to have bought it from a Ford Dealer! I bought it from Expo Motorcars in Houston. They've asked that I send them an official quote as soon as I get it (which will hopefully be this afternoon once they have the transmission out of the car and can fully diagnose it). We'll see if they actually end up paying for all/some of the repair.

The weather is starting to get nice around here and I'm honestly not even that upset about the damage anymore I just want my car back so I can wash it and drive it around...
Old 3/10/14, 07:30 AM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,152 Likes on 825 Posts
Hope everything works out. Congrats on the new ride. Once they get it figured out you will really love driving it. They are great fun! Hoping you have many trouble free miles ahead!

Post some pictures!
Old 3/10/14, 09:03 AM

Thank you for the kind words!

I'll post some pictures as soon as I figure out how. I don't have them saved at a web address so I don't know how to post them.
Old 3/10/14, 09:41 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Good luck with the fix; And hopefully the shop where you bought them from will pay for the repairs. And yes please post some new pictures. I am eager to see your car as a whole. Thanks.

Last edited by FromZto5; 3/10/14 at 12:37 PM.
Old 3/10/14, 11:06 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The transmission tech says it's almost certainly the clutch, but there's still a small chance that there is a transmission issue that damaged it. They'll be dropping the transmission on Monday to check it out and should have an answer for me that afternoon. If it's the clutch, it looks like I'm out $1200 on a car I owned 2 days before I couldn't drive it anymore.

HUGE lesson learned, I'll never buy a performance car again from anyone but the person who owned and drove it most recently. *Sigh*
That's always been my motto, never buy a used Mustang or other performance car unless you know the prior owner.

Whoever gets my recent trade in will also be a lucky son of a gun as it was mint...so much so, the dealer put it on his showroom floor!!!!
Old 3/10/14, 12:34 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Thank you for the support, KC3333!

Deysha
Old 3/10/14, 02:10 PM

I sent her a PM a few days ago, no reply yet.
Old 3/10/14, 08:35 PM

Great news!

They took out the transmission today and found out that it was the slave cylinder. Which means that instead of a $1200 out-of-pocket clutch replacement all the repairs will be covered AND it means that the previous owner probably had at least some idea of how to drive a manual transmission.

I hope to have the car back by Wednesday at which point I will was it and definitely put up some pictures!

Thanks for the kind words and advice, everyone.
Old 3/10/14, 08:40 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,318 Likes on 1,729 Posts
Yeah!! WooHoo glad for the good news! You are gonna love that car!
Old 3/11/14, 07:31 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I sent her a PM a few days ago, no reply yet.
I saw your PM from Friday, wbraun88. I don’t work weekends, so I’ll be able to get back to you today.

Deysha
Old 3/11/14, 08:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome news! Glad to hear it's working out in your favor. Yes, def post pics!

Quick Reply: New '12 Boss Owner, Help!