Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Need Help installing digital shifter ( Gaslock not lighting up )

Search this Thread

Old 12/26/11, 08:04 PM
Zeb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help installing digital shifter ( Gaslock not lighting up )

Hello everyone,

I am in need of some guidance. You see, I'm not experienced in working on automotive stuff myself....but you have to give me credit for trying. I want to learn.

So, as a christmas gift, I received a Gaslock digital shift **** from American Muscle. ( Yes, I've heard all the opinions online from the web searches while I tried looking for help....it's a bit rice, and it doesn't serve a real purpose, but it was a nice gift. )

I got the center console off, and as far as wiring goes, I see the accessory ( or cigarette lighter ) wires are about what I need - it's just supposed to be simple live & ground wiring.

Like an idiot, I tried to get that plug out of the backside of the cigarette lighter for ever. Finally, I just decided I'll never use it and cut it. Then I stripped some plastic off the wires, giving me room to work, and hooked the two up....just like a ceiling fan, right?

Anyhow, I plugged the data cable into the shifter **** and started the car...no lights. Uh-oh.

Now I realize I'm at the point where I need to ask for help.

Help?
Old 12/26/11, 08:10 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Blown fuse?
Old 12/26/11, 08:17 PM
Zeb

Hmmm....well, maybe. I don't have a tester, but I would think it's something I am doing wrong. It's a 2011 with 6k miles on it, so I wouldn't think I'd blow a fuse just yet.

All I need to is cut the wire and wrap them around each other, right? Then on start I should get power.... ?
Old 12/26/11, 08:24 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

If they weren't taped too well you might have popped a fuse when you turned the key, also there's constant power running to the cigarette lighter. Check the fuse box, it's on the passenger side under the dash. Look at the diagram in the owners manual for the accessory fuse and pull that one. If it's not that then maybe try swapping wires?

Btw...just looked up the shift **** on AM and some people just tapped into an open fuse in the block.
Old 12/26/11, 08:27 PM
Zeb

Thanks.

I didn't tape it at all, I thought I would test it first. Maybe that was my idiot mistake.

I wish I would have looked into the open fuse method...although I don't know how to do that either, I wouldn't have lost my accessory power. ( Isn't there some kind of splitter I can use? )
Old 12/26/11, 08:33 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

You can buy a fuse tap from Autozone or any auto parts store for like $2. It goes in place of the fuse with a fuse spot and a wire to connect to the power wire. I used a similar method hooking up the remote wire to my amp. I believe #36 or 38 is an open fuse that only receives power when the key is on. That's the easiest route then just run the wire under the dash or carpet.

Good luck!
Old 12/26/11, 08:58 PM
Zeb

Well, from what I can tell fuse #35 is the one that would control the aux console power. The fuse wasn't blown.

I also re-wired the connectionism wrapped it and re-tested ( thinking my connection wasn't snug ) and it still does not light up. Very frustrating.
Old 12/26/11, 09:02 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Try swapping the wires? Is there any type of fuse in the shift **** itself?
Old 12/26/11, 09:17 PM
Zeb

....aaaand correction. I checked the fuse box by the passenger kick panel, and it was fine. However, ( and here is the right term I should have been using ) there is a fuse for it in the power distribution box under the hood. The manual calls it " Powerpoint (body) ", and it is Fuse location #5. Looking at the top of that fuse ( it says Blue 20 ) the circle is broken so I must have blown a fuse.

The manual doesn't list any spare or unused fuses of this type, except position 44 which is I believe grey and says 40. I tried swapping with that anyhow, and still no lights.

So I think it's safe to say I did blow a fuse....but I guess I just need to get a spare and try it again.
Old 12/26/11, 09:34 PM
Zeb

I also swapped fuse position #22, which is the same type fuse, and nothing happened.
Old 12/26/11, 09:53 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Hum...if it's not a fuse I would bet the shift **** light itself might be faulty. I hope you got a gift receipt with it lol
Old 12/26/11, 10:02 PM
Zeb

Yeeaaah, that makes me worry. I read American Muscle's return policy, and I don't know how that will work out. ( It says 30 days from purchase, but I don't know how far before Christmas it was purchased. )

Thank you for your help, I really do appreciate it.

I know I have a blown fuse now, but still....when I swapped it for a different one, that should have worked.

It's a neat idea, but a colored changing number is not THAT cool.
Old 12/26/11, 10:08 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

No worries. If it's faulty they should take care of you being a gift. They've always treated me well with 2 different issues where I had to return something. Otherwise if you get a receipt, exchange it for something else. That $199 is better spent elsewhere in my opinion.
Old 12/26/11, 10:11 PM
Zeb

I would agree!

Yeah, I am wishing I would have just not installed it....what a POS.
Old 12/26/11, 10:32 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Always disconnect the battery when making electrical connections like this. It saves the fuse hunt for later.

Also I would not have cut new wiring in a new car when you could have easily tapped the fuse for power.
Old 12/26/11, 11:44 PM
Zeb

Originally Posted by LEwis26
Always disconnect the battery when making electrical connections like this. It saves the fuse hunt for later.

Also I would not have cut new wiring in a new car when you could have easily tapped the fuse for power.
Yeah, lesson learned. In my defense, the install instructions said this was simple install for anyone - 30 minutes - and it suggested using the wiring for accessories such as the cigarette lighter.

I guess the good news here is that if my power point never works again, I doubt I'd ever use it anyways. However, I can always just put it back together....right? The wiring is hidden and not vital, so I'm going to try not to lose sleep over it.

I didn't even know about fuse tap.....( again, extremely new to this )

Maybe I can go get a new fuse, re-wire my powerpoint in the center console, and use a fuse tap. That *should* only take a few bucks and a bit of time.
Old 12/27/11, 02:02 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its a brand new car. If you can't do it take it to a sound shop. You learned from your mistake. Better luck next time. But for real its a brand new car. And electrical gremlins are not something you want to mess with. And not having a working accessory looks bad if trying to sell...if that is messed up what else is...
Old 12/27/11, 09:07 AM
Zeb

I looked at it this morning. I was very frustrated last night, so much that I overlooked the.shift **** DOES have its own fuse. I bet it blew. So, I am a ******* for not wrapping the wires before testing it and blowing two fuses.
Old 12/27/11, 09:25 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Zeb
I looked at it this morning. I was very frustrated last night, so much that I overlooked the.shift **** DOES have its own fuse. I bet it blew. So, I am a ******* for not wrapping the wires before testing it and blowing two fuses.
Lol I mentioned that to u last night. So is it working now?
Old 12/27/11, 10:26 AM
Zeb

Originally Posted by Hytek
Lol I mentioned that to u last night. So is it working now?
Lol...I know you did. I didn't actually see where the fuse was. I must have been so frustrated I overlooked it running down the cord. I am at work now, so I have not had a chance to go get new fuses. I will try it tonight though.....I'm sure that is what it is.

Quick Reply: Need Help installing digital shifter ( Gaslock not lighting up )