The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2010-2014 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/)
-   -   My Navi Solution (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/my-navi-solution-488494/)

5th Stang 10/19/10 06:19 PM

My Navi Solution

10 Attachment(s)
Well I ordered my 5.0 back in January and drove it home May 2nd. The original order included a Navigation package. Someone in the chain messed the order and it came with a backup camera and a mirror monitor. PO ed but didn’t want to reorder.
Well I have mounted an IPad in its place and moved the Sync center stack to an overhead. It’s still work in progress, I have to add a LED dome lights inside the Plexiglass, some buttons, and I will be adding a bluetooth ODBII and software for realtime diags. I’ll fill the details later but here are some pics.

Bigjohns97 10/19/10 06:23 PM

Can't see pics..

stangfoeva 10/19/10 06:28 PM

OMGOSH!! :jaw:

I have to give it you, that is the most CREATIVE solution I have seen. Patrick will have an cargasm when he sees this!

Fire512 10/19/10 06:29 PM

How is the overhead at night? Looks like it could be distracting.

stangfoeva 10/19/10 06:33 PM

Reaching up to the over head is like reaching up to some controls in a jet or something. EPIC

Adam 10/19/10 06:38 PM

Words cannot describe how I feel right now

Ethanjbeau 10/19/10 06:43 PM

Kind makes me wish i didnt get the navi :drool:

Dreamtheory 10/19/10 06:49 PM

dude that is by far the coolest ****ing interior Ive ever seen in a mustang thus far. I want it! looks like a freaking airplane or jet set up! so awesome!!

Adam 10/19/10 07:00 PM

I assume the radio display no longer works?

5th Stang 10/19/10 07:03 PM

Not distracting for me even at full brightness. It dims with the other instruments.

BTY, no ones asked yet, but yes, you loose the CD slot. The main radio is still in the dash in a slightly offset position. The main panel is just a pass thru slot for the cds. I never used it once. All the music options, and video. Im just piping the audio to the aux input of the sync radio. "waiting for dock extension cable"

5th Stang 10/19/10 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 5963878)
I assume the radio display no longer works?

The display was moved to the bottom under the ipad. It's behind the plexiglass. View angle is not bad, just got to get used to new position.

2010MustangGT 10/19/10 07:10 PM

It's gotta be awkward to use any of those buttons no?

Why was nav so necessary?

I mean I can appreciate your effort, but definitely not for me.

5th Stang 10/19/10 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by 2010MustangGT (Post 5963887)
It's gotta be awkward to use any of those buttons no?

Why was nav so necessary?

I mean I can appreciate your effort, but definitely not for me.

It's not only the navi, but all the options available on the Ipad. I can remote control my home, see cameras, see traffic maps, read mail stopped in traffic, all on a large display that i can see.
But, youre right, it's not for everyone.

2010MustangGT 10/19/10 07:22 PM

Well, right- but being that you wanted the navigation- were you just going to retrofit it out or keep it and not even think twice about swtiching everything around?

I know that the ipad alone trumps the OEM features, but was that your goal all along?

Plus what's at the end of 'roof stack'- the shiny part?

Fire512 10/19/10 07:24 PM

Cool factor is defiantly off the charts. :nice:

dmhines 10/19/10 07:25 PM

That looks pretty cool ... but with loss of some functions ...

I talked to SCOSCHE yesterday ... they said their install kit for 2010+ Mustangs should FINALLY be available after this years SEMA ... end of November.

5th Stang 10/19/10 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by 2010MustangGT (Post 5963893)
Well, right- but being that you wanted the navigation- were you just going to retrofit it out or keep it and not even think twice about swtiching everything around?

I know that the ipad alone trumps the OEM features, but was that your goal all along?

Plus what's at the end of 'roof stack'- the shiny part?

If the car would have come with the nav, I wouldn't have changed it. My first option was an aftermarket radio. There is only one company (Metro) that makes a replacement stack that would accept a radio. It comes with a new lcd display. It wasn't very attractive. Plus the audio can of worms. The way I have done it is to use all the original sync equipment just relocated.
The curved plexiglass at the end is for the dome lights. The spot where the display was Is fitted with a new piece of plexi and will be for the 6 lighted buttons for dome and other functions.

SD6 10/19/10 07:50 PM

Wow that is one of the most aggressive mods I've seen!!

factory fast 10/19/10 07:52 PM

wow that has to be the coolest thing ever. I wouldn't doubt it if you just started a new trend.

RedWings 10/19/10 08:57 PM

A+ for innovation

The iPad install is f'n kick ***.

The rest I'm still undecided on.

I would have probably made it so the iPad replaces everything except the climate controls.