2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Mustang...to refined?

Search this Thread

Old 9/11/10, 11:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Mustang...to refined?

Let me start off by sayinig that Ford did an excelent job with the new '10+ Mustangs. Design,interior, and engines are all fantastic. They have really steped up the game and shown what a domestic manufactur can produce. These cars really show us how far the industry has come over the years.

Deep down I feel as though the Mustang has become to refined. To me this car doesn't even seem to be a muscle/pony car anymore. Ford seems to have transformed it into a sports car. This car is on par if not better at times then the BMW M3. It destroyed the Camaro and Challenger in the reviews and the Boss isn't even out yet. The new engine and interior seem more along the lines of a european sports car. You can hardly here any engine noise because there is so much sound deadening. I mean they had to actually put in a sound tube so we will be able to hear this engine. The exhaust note doesn't even sound that muscle car like anymore.

Today while walking to work I heard a Trans Am pass. He had cams and an aftermarket exhaust at the car just sounded so raw, unrefined and powerful. It got me thinking why can't the mustang sound like that? I know there is a such thing as progress but to me a car needs to sound and look the part of what it really is deep down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYoA3ZFx1H0

Nothing like the sound of a cam.

I love these cars and will be buying one I just wish it wasn't this good. It's almost to much but I am glad they did it.

I know it is early in the game and not all exhaust companies have shown up yet, but does anybody else think this car may be to refined?

Last edited by SynisterGT; 9/11/10 at 11:14 PM.
Old 9/11/10, 11:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can understand what you're trying to say, but I also feel like you might be a bit insane.
Old 9/11/10, 11:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SynisterGT
Today while walking to work I heard a Trans Am pass. He had cams and an aftermarket exhaust at the car just sounded so raw, unrefined and powerful. It got me thinking why can't the mustang sound like that? I know there is a such thing as progress but to me a car needs to sound and look the part of what it really is deep down.
So you think the new Mustang is too quiet and you like the louder, more raw sound of a T/A with cams and aftermarket exhaust? Then rip out some sound deadening and install a louder exhaust on a Mustang. I'd much rather have a car that is "too refined" from the factory, as it is a lot easier to make a car feel less refined by removing sound deadening, adding a louder exhaust, adding cams if/when available, adding an intake, making the suspension stiffer, lower profile tires, etc, then it is to make a car that is too "unrefined" from the factory more civilized. Really, all of that stuff isn't that hard to do, I've done it to several different cars I've owned in the past, but never just for a look or feel or sound, it was always for some performance benefit, but to each his own.
Old 9/11/10, 11:34 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mustang...to refined?
I don't know about it being to refined, but I don't think it is too refined...
Old 9/11/10, 11:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KonaBlue5.0
I can understand what you're trying to say, but I also feel like you might be a bit insane.
Good to know. I can now add that to my resume.

Originally Posted by Ministang
So you think the new Mustang is too quiet and you like the louder, more raw sound of a T/A with cams and aftermarket exhaust? Then rip out some sound deadening and install a louder exhaust on a Mustang. I'd much rather have a car that is "too refined" from the factory, as it is a lot easier to make a car feel less refined by removing sound deadening, adding a louder exhaust, adding cams if/when available, adding an intake, making the suspension stiffer, lower profile tires, etc, then it is to make a car that is too "unrefined" from the factory more civilized. Really, all of that stuff isn't that hard to do, I've done it to several different cars I've owned in the past, but never just for a look or feel or sound, it was always for some performance benefit, but to each his own.
That's what I plan on doing. Exhaust, intake, and remove some sound deadening. However this car will still sound my european then more muscle car like. That is the main point I am trying to get across. I was just seeing if anybody else thought this also. I am happy that it is so great of a refinement but at the same time in the back of my head I have that feeling that dam this car is so much more refined then even my 07 which is only 3 years old.

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Thanks for the English lesson
Old 9/12/10, 12:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

There are several trends, with few exceptions, as new models of cars are released, and as changes/upgrades are made to a given car model. As time goes on, cars in general (and Mustangs specifically) get larger, heavier, more power, and more refined. I've owned 1981, 1989, 2001, and 2008 V8 Mustangs, each one was larger (except between the two foxes), heavier, had more power, and was more refined than the one before.
Old 9/12/10, 12:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

So it's too refined but you're buying one anyways????

Why not buy an older one if it's such a big deal?

Although I do agree, it so happens that the Mustang is forced to be a lot of things to a lot of people these days. It's being stretched across a lot of different segments. Is it a muscle car, sports car, sporty coupe, luxury performance coupe etc????

I understand why, and that this has kept the Mustang alive and competitive all these years, but it's why I will keep buying the older ones when they were more in line with my particular idea of what the Mustang has traditionally been.

I can appreciate the new models, but their not really what a Mustang is to me. I prefer a car that's a bit rough around the edges, and sacrifices some comforts for the sake of character that not everyone can appreciate. I want to know that I'm driving a car that "isn't for everyone". I like that my Mom was a little scared to drive in my last car ('90 5.0). That's the way it should be.

That's just me, and I can understand that everyone is different, but that's just what the Mustang has always been for me, and it always will be. That's what makes them so much fun.
Old 9/12/10, 12:30 AM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
I've yet to drive one, but I think I'd be somewhat disappointed by the quietness. I love hearing all the creaks and rattles in my '02. I've listened to sound clips and videos of different exhausts on the new 5.0, and it just sounds too electronic for me. Not sure why that is, but I wish it had more of the raw sound of my GT.
Old 9/12/10, 12:34 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
weirdest complaint yet, lol throw an o/r x and some mufflers and you are good to go
Old 9/12/10, 12:43 AM

I think the mustang is going back to the original idea of what a pony-car was, and should be in the future.
there's really only one european V8 you can compare the sound to the 5.0L, that is the Mercedes 6.3L
Old 9/12/10, 02:00 AM
Cobra R Member

you want unrefined...sir may i take you for a test drive in one of my foxes

you can join us in our daily game of "find the noise"
Old 9/12/10, 02:53 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I do know what the OP means though. I was stunned at the refinement when I test drove the 2010. Not just the upgraded interior that feels as good as an BMW, but the ride refinement. That 2010 was on Eibachs and 20" Shelby rims, but it put my car to shame in terms of refinement. The 2011 I drove recently felt much the same............just quicker

Both test cars were autos, which takes a little of the fun out of it for me (don't hate me guys, it's only my opinion). The manual gives me the involvement I crave. My daily driver BMW is an auto, so I'm well aware of the benefits, but my Mustang is a weekend toy, so I want it alive.....and NOISY!

The aftermarket is there to make the 2010+ whatever you want it to be. All I know is that, from the factory, it's a pretty amazing car

Old 9/12/10, 04:08 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 1,082 Posts
I guess it depends on what you want it for . . . . my 'stang is my daily driver so I like the refinement and the fact that it is quiet during easy cruising but also sounds great at heavy throttle (though a little louder exahaust would be an improvement)

If it was a weekend toy, I'd probably want it louder, but that's an easy fix.
Old 9/12/10, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
One of many errors. I was going to ask his age.
Old 9/12/10, 05:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Less refined, and I wouldn't have bought one. This is a premium car in all respects, and that is what sold me.
Old 9/12/10, 05:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

I think I understand what he is saying. Just add some aggressive axle-backs and you're good to go from there.
Old 9/12/10, 06:21 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
When you buy a Mustang, its only the starting point. Don't like the exhaust sound? Change it. Don't like the ride quality, too soft? Change the suspension. You want cams? Buy some.
Not happy with the new Mustang? Buy an old one.

I'm just saying, you can turn your Mustang into anything you want.
Old 9/12/10, 06:57 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Because of the refinement the car is much more pleasurable to drive. I live driving this car way more than my 08 GT. I think when people put the louder exhausts on this car it ruins its character as the 05-09 could get away with this because of its rawness. The loud exhaust just does not fit this cars character at all. I think this is one Mustang they got perfect in stock form. The only thing i can see this car needs is a tune and maybe a CAI if you have the money to throw around. All the exterior add ons do not do justice to this car either as they did enhance the 05-09. Even some of the aftermarket wheels do not look good with this body style.
This Mustang is a grown ups Mustang. Let the teenagers and 20yr old punks have their loud, raw 09's and below.
Old 9/12/10, 08:09 AM
GT Member

Received 353 Likes on 244 Posts
The best irony is that the desirable T/A is not a factory sound, either, so the older cars were too refined from the factory to meet the ideal noise/sound ratio.

The lesson here is that we all want different things from our cars - that's why the aftermarket is so vibrant.

That being said, I am on the watch for the Boss quad exhaust setup to hit the shelves...I think it'll rock on the GT500 (assuming it'll fit...)
Old 9/12/10, 09:36 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mustangs are one of the most customizable cars on earth!, everything you want to change they have a part for, back seat bothering you? delete it. what's that? it's too quiet? choose from hundreds of exhaust setups.

that is the beauty of the mustang, unless your lame and keep it stock

Quick Reply: Mustang...to refined?