Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

MGW Race Spec Shifter Review

Search this Thread

Old 3/8/16, 09:19 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
MGW Race Spec Shifter Review

I put on my new MGW Race Spec Shifter this weekend and wanted to write a review on it for others that are considering buying it. This is the NEW Race Spec design that uses upper solid mounts to the transmission via billet strut arms and features a solid linkage rod connecting the shifter to the transmission. The main reason I got this shifter was because I had a lot of grinding/chatter when shifting into 2nd and 3rd, and it just didn't feel right. I took the car to the dealer 3 times for this issue and each time the car was returned to me for "no problem found" or they couldn't duplicate the issue. So I took matters into my own hands.

First, the installation. This thing was a b--- to install. It took about 4 hours to install WITH air tools and a friend helping me. The 10mm bolt that holds the front shifter mount was the toughest part of the job. You have limited access to the bolt and it hits the transmission tunnel when removing it. You have to drop the trans cross member and have a friend push down on the transmission very hard just to get enough room to pull out the bolt. Who knows what this did to my engine mounts... You also have a VERY narrow angle to turn the bolt, so you're turning it 45 degrees at a time at most. Unfortunately I didn't have a racheting 10mm wrench, so it took forever. A few of the other bolts were a pain to get to and remove as well. Putting the boot on was a pain, but that goes with every shifter install.

The feel of the shifter is very tight. The centering spring is very strong as well. In all, it takes a considerable more amount of effort to shift gears and put the thing in reverse. I was surprised by this. It's not a big deal when driving the car hard, because you're shifting with force anyway. But for a daily driver, I would be pretty annoyed. On the bright side, the shifts are WAY more precise and it eliminated all my grinding/chatter.

As far as the throws, they honestly don't feel all that much shorter than the stock shifter. I'm not sure what the exact throw reduction is on the MGW, but it doesn't feel much different to me.

NVH was a big surprise to me as well. In gears 1-3 you get a lot of gurgling/chugging noise (hard to explain) from the vibrations going from the engine to the transmission to the shifter. The shifter also vibrates considerably more, so I leave my hand off the shifter pretty much at all times (you're not supposed to keep your hand on the shifter anyway, so this is a good habit to break). Fortunately, in higher gears and when cruising, I don't notice any additional noise (even with the radio off). Keep in mind, this shifter and bracket completely eliminate the the rear mount and bushing.

In conclusion, I'm glad I got the shifter because it solved my issues, but it did add some negatives like NVH, increased resistance, and the installation is a total PITA. If I were to do it all over again, I might consider something like the Barton shifter and bracket (it's a LOT cheaper too), but then again I've never driven a car with the Barton. Overall, I'm pleased with it. Hope this information helps you guys make the right decision!

EDIT: Added video - 2nd gear at high RPM. The loud clunking noise you hear is something moving around in the center console, but the vibration you hear is the shifter. It does this in gears 1-3. It isn't as loud in real life as the video portrays, but just wanted to give people an idea. Yes, I put on all the dynamat and foam padding per instructions as provided in the kit.

Last edited by Coyote5-0; 3/12/16 at 01:21 PM.
Old 3/8/16, 01:04 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Coyote5-0
I put on my new MGW Race Spec Shifter this weekend and wanted to write a review on it for others that are considering buying it. This is the NEW Race Spec design that uses upper solid mounts to the transmission via billet strut arms and features a solid linkage rod connecting the shifter to the transmission. The main reason I got this shifter was because I had a lot of grinding/chatter when shifting into 2nd and 3rd, and it just didn't feel right. I took the car to the dealer 3 times for this issue and each time the car was returned to me for "no problem found" or they couldn't duplicate the issue. So I took matters into my own hands.

First, the installation. This thing was a b--- to install. It took about 4 hours to install WITH air tools and a friend helping me. The 10mm bolt that holds the front shifter mount was the toughest part of the job. You have limited access to the bolt and it hits the transmission tunnel when removing it. You have to drop the trans cross member and have a friend push down on the transmission very hard just to get enough room to pull out the bolt. Who knows what this did to my engine mounts... You also have a VERY narrow angle to turn the bolt, so you're turning it 45 degrees at a time at most. Unfortunately I didn't have a racheting 10mm wrench, so it took forever. A few of the other bolts were a pain to get to and remove as well. Putting the boot on was a pain, but that goes with every shifter install.

The feel of the shifter is very tight. The centering spring is very strong as well. In all, it takes a considerable more amount of effort to shift gears and put the thing in reverse. I was surprised by this. It's not a big deal when driving the car hard, because you're shifting with force anyway. But for a daily driver, I would be pretty annoyed. On the bright side, the shifts are WAY more precise and it eliminated all my grinding/chatter.

As far as the throws, they honestly don't feel all that much shorter than the stock shifter. I'm not sure what the exact throw reduction is on the MGW, but it doesn't feel much different to me.

NVH was a big surprise to me as well. In gears 1-3 you get a lot of gurgling/chugging noise (hard to explain) from the vibrations going from the engine to the transmission to the shifter. The shifter also vibrates considerably more, so I leave my hand off the shifter pretty much at all times (you're not supposed to keep your hand on the shifter anyway, so this is a good habit to break). Fortunately, in higher gears and when cruising, I don't notice any additional noise (even with the radio off). Keep in mind, this shifter and bracket completely eliminate the the rear mount and bushing.

In conclusion, I'm glad I got the shifter because it solved my issues, but it did add some negatives like NVH, increased resistance, and the installation is a total PITA. If I were to do it all over again, I might consider something like the Barton shifter and bracket (it's a LOT cheaper too), but then again I've never driven a car with the Barton. Overall, I'm pleased with it. Hope this information helps you guys make the right decision!
So.... I read your post and I'm concerned about your statements above that I have bolded. I'm not sure if you're experiencing that because

a) that's how the new MGW just is
b) install issue
c) part issue/i.e. something wrong or broken with it

Reason why I'm confused is because the reduction in throw was very significant to me. Now, it's not a WHOLE lot, but it was very significant by the fact that it was not sloppy at all, and I could just feel it *snick* into place much quicker and shorter than stock. So I'm shocked that you'd say you didn't notice any reduction.

Secondly, the NVH and vibration. I noticed none of that with mine. I did/do notice a slightly louder ka-chunk but it's more of a rifle bolt action, as it snicks into place during a shift. No other time is it loud. As for vibrations, none... there's no added/new vibrations on mine that weren't there when stock or otherwise.

So anyways, I guess one could say I'm very happy with my 1st gen MGW, because it's literally perfect. What you're experiencing doesn't sound like it's normal... Unless George and company INTENDED to make it that way, and I doubt that.

Last edited by FromZto5; 3/8/16 at 01:05 PM.
Old 3/8/16, 01:54 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

as far as the NVH, it's kind of the nature of the beast with it being mounted to the transmission:

If you have the older design, it makes use of the rear mount and bushing if I'm not mistaken.

Its a pretty basic mechanical system, if I installed it wrong, it probably wouldn't work at all. Not even sure how it could be installed wrong anyway, besides improperly torquing bolts or missing fasteners lol.

Regarding the throw reduction, maybe I just expected it to be big throw reduction and had unrealistic expectations?

Either way, I'm happy with the product despite its drawbacks

Last edited by Coyote5-0; 3/8/16 at 01:56 PM.
Old 3/8/16, 02:09 PM
I Have No Life

^ fair points. Yeah mine is just the first 1/3 or so of that pic above. It does make use of several stock components. The new MGW is definitely more solid, but it looks like it comes with its share of quibbles.

Glad you like it though!
Old 3/8/16, 02:51 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Coyote5-0 Great Write up. I would suspect everything you said would be the case with the way it is designed. I would love it MGW or some one else would make a new shift rod for the stock sifter. It is my understanding that that is the real issue with our Mt-82's. Do you have a video of new shifter in action?
Old 3/8/16, 06:15 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Nice writeup and congrats on a great mod! I'm considering this as well next year.
Old 3/8/16, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Surprised to hear these issues with your shifter.

I installed the same 3rd gen Race-Spec shifter last summer and do not have any of the issues you report. I am sorry to hear your having NVH issues. Did you use all of the supplied Dynomat and apply as shown in MGW's install video? I didn't notice any significant NVH increase over the factory shifter.

I agree the install was difficult, mostly because of access issues, but was able to complete without any assistance. Did it in my garage on jack stands.

I did have a significant improvement in 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. Much smoother and no clunking or grinding. Also no lock out in high rev shifts. It does have a stronger centering spring, but to me that seems to make it easier to make quick smooth shifts. I don't have to guide the shifter into gear now, it just slides easily into the next gear without hesitation. Like you, I did not notice a significant reduction in travel of the shifter. I also expected it to be much short on the throws.

You may want to call MGW and see if they can help resolve some of your problems. I couldn't be happier with mine.
Old 3/8/16, 08:11 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by drmag
Surprised to hear these issues with your shifter.

I installed the same 3rd gen Race-Spec shifter last summer and do not have any of the issues you report. I am sorry to hear your having NVH issues. Did you use all of the supplied Dynomat and apply as shown in MGW's install video? I didn't notice any significant NVH increase over the factory shifter.

I agree the install was difficult, mostly because of access issues, but was able to complete without any assistance. Did it in my garage on jack stands.

I did have a significant improvement in 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. Much smoother and no clunking or grinding. Also no lock out in high rev shifts. It does have a stronger centering spring, but to me that seems to make it easier to make quick smooth shifts. I don't have to guide the shifter into gear now, it just slides easily into the next gear without hesitation. Like you, I did not notice a significant reduction in travel of the shifter. I also expected it to be much short on the throws.

You may want to call MGW and see if they can help resolve some of your problems. I couldn't be happier with mine.
Exactly as above. That's why I posted my post above. Something is off. George and MGW would get better with the design, not worse. What he is experiencing is not normal imo.
Old 3/8/16, 10:33 PM
V6 Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
You may need to loosen and re-tighten your Trans/Motor mounts to relieve alignment pressures that were created when you "dropped it hard".

Last edited by crjackson; 3/8/16 at 10:35 PM.
Old 3/9/16, 06:35 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apparently you have a problem with the install, because MGW Race Spec is by far the best Aftermarket Shifter you can buy, it's the only shifter that allows for precise horizontal gate adjustment. The shifting experience should be precise and positive clicking into each gear. You might get a little NVH, but that's to be expected when you eliminate all of the OEM Mushy Bushings. If the Shifter is installed correctly driving should become a pleasure and you'll shift with confidence. I've had two other brands installed my 2013 GT, both were terrible compared to a MGW Race Spec. You'll usually find the only people that criticize the MGW Shifter are those that don't own one! Agreed they are expensive, But the Quality is amazing. I have a Cobra Jet Intake, CJ Throttle Body, CJ CAI installed, I Drag Race shifting at 7200 RPM's I have never miss a Shift with the MGW Race Spec. Good Luck with your problem, I'd give George a call at MGW, He's a Stand Up Guy!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 3/9/16, 08:10 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Yeah, well I never said the shifter didn't perform well. It just added some extra noise and the centering spring is real stiff. And YES, I installed it correctly, I even watched their entire video on how to install it. And maybe you guys don't notice the extra noise because you have aftermarket exhaust or a loud stereo. Good god... lol
Old 3/9/16, 02:27 PM
I Have No Life

Yeah, well I never said the shifter didn't perform well. It just added some extra noise and the centering spring is real stiff. And YES, I installed it correctly, I even watched their entire video on how to install it. And maybe you guys don't notice the extra noise because you have aftermarket exhaust or a loud stereo. Good god... lol
Well... Whatever it is, whether it be install or part defect itself, I think what you're experiencing is not the normal experience an MGW owner would have. I could sense that right away from your first post. Almost like you were trying to find something positive to say about it, but you weren't really happy about it. Most or almost all MGW owners respond with exhilaration and jubilation upon post install.
Old 3/9/16, 10:12 PM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
In reading this thread all I took from the OP's comments where just that....his comments and opinions. There is the distinct possibility that he did install it correctly and there are no manufacturing defects, but rather his impressions and that's it. Pretty sure he is entitled to those as they are his. I also have a MGW, first generation race spec....I didn't feel jubilation or exhilaration when the install was complete. I discovered things I like and didn't like about it and with that said, I can still say the quality of the shifter, the design, the manufacturing, the customer service and even the shipping is some of the best I've seen.
Old 3/10/16, 06:09 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by BaknBlk
I didn't feel jubilation or exhilaration when the install was complete. I discovered things I like and didn't like about it and with that said, I can still say the quality of the shifter, the design, the manufacturing, the customer service and even the shipping is some of the best I've seen.
Old 3/10/16, 06:21 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
If I were to do it all over again, I might consider something like the Barton shifter and bracket (it's a LOT cheaper too), but then again I've never driven a car with the Barton. Overall, I'm pleased with it. Hope this information helps you guys make the right decision!
Maybe we can get together at Cars & Coffee some time in Indy this summer and do some comparisons between the two setups. I just installed the Barton shifter in my car last weekend. I can honestly say it is the most satisfying mod I have done to my car right after the VMP phase 3 upgrade. The only time I experience NVH is if my hand is resting on the shifter in a way that pushes forward on it while it is on gear. I must admit though it's hard to hear anything over the ROUSH exhaust and my radio. I did notice that there is no more grinding when going into reverse, or from 2-3 or 4-5 like there was with the spongy stock shifter. The Barton is nice and tight and "clicks" into each gear. You can move the shifter between gears just moving your fingers with your hand rested on the shifter instead if having to grip the ball and move your entire hand. I thought I'd try the less expensive route first since I had already bought and installed the 2 post bracket a few moths ago trying to tighten up the shifting.

Last edited by MADSCOTSMAN; 3/10/16 at 08:15 AM.
Old 3/10/16, 06:24 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I go to Cars and Coffee all the time, we should definitely meet there some time! I'd like to see how the Barton feels.
Old 3/12/16, 01:20 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

FYI - added video of NVH to original post.
Old 3/12/16, 11:22 PM
GT Member

That is puzzling to say the least...when you accelerate I can hear what sounds like some sort of "click" just the shifter shaft moves...not sure if this is what you are talking about but it's what I'm hearing ??? My race spec (original version) doesn't make a noise like I heard in the video, nor does the shifter move under acceleration.
Old 3/13/16, 12:33 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

The clunk noise you hear is my garage door opener moving around in the center console. I should've taken that out before recording. The shifter doesn't really move either, that's just the torque acting upon the driveline. But the buzzing noise is the shifter. Not that it's a big deal, just a heads up for anyone considering the shifter
Old 3/13/16, 04:27 AM
GT Member

Gotcha.....both things were happening at the same time. I listened again and could hear a slight buzzing sound...I get that every now and then with mine as well. Maybe a weighted shift **** would help....several companies out there that sell them.

Quick Reply: MGW Race Spec Shifter Review