Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Marilyn's new Stable! (i.e. garage)

Search this Thread

Old 4/3/17, 01:36 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Stage_3
Wait?!?!?! You mean there's a house attached to that awesome garage?!?!
EVEN BETTER! lol
Originally Posted by TripleBlack14
I think your builder made a mistake. Shouldn't it look more like this?
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Thank God Burton, as I was beginning to think I was developing early signs of dementia at 58 in addition to losing my eyesight
Originally Posted by Fawls
I'm following this with interest, very jelly!
Originally Posted by Rog13GTCS
It is coming along quickly. Looks good.
Thanks a lot guys!!! The progress is definitely going good. They are still using the garage as an entry point for things that get installed INSIDE the house, like flooring, cabinets, carpet, etc. However, it is getting thinner in there, so I can actually get a sense for how big she is. I saw some rolled up carpet foam in there today... or whatever material you call that.

She's getting oh so close....
Old 4/6/17, 12:43 PM
I Have No Life

Stopped by the house today - and there were a series of contractors there performing the painting of the interior. But anyways, as I stated before, almost every contractor that works on my new house, sees the garage, and first they say/ask when I meet them is... "so... I hear you're into cars..." or "so... what are you putting in there?!?!?!". Today it was "I heard you detail cars". I'm like yep yep... I do. He said he loved the idea of the vertical wall lights for detailing and he wished he did the same.

I guess I know I'm doing something right
Old 4/6/17, 01:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The following users liked this post:
FromZto5 (4/7/17)
Old 4/6/17, 02:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
Stopped by the house today - and there were a series of contractors there performing the painting of the interior. But anyways, as I stated before, almost every contractor that works on my new house, sees the garage, and first they say/ask when I meet them is... "so... I hear you're into cars..." or "so... what are you putting in there?!?!?!". Today it was "I heard you detail cars". I'm like yep yep... I do. He said he loved the idea of the vertical wall lights for detailing and he wished he did the same.

I guess I know I'm doing something right

And then you told them you're gonna park a Prius in there and they all died laughing.

Why did you leave out the best part of the story?

FromZto5 (4/7/17)
Old 4/6/17, 03:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Gabe
And then you told them you're gonna park a Prius in there and they all died laughing.

Not to hijack the thread but for about 10 years, my uncle's garage consisted of a Toyota Prius, a BMW 740iL and a Ferrari 360 Modena. Today, it's a Subaru Outback, Volvo V40 and the Ferrari.
FromZto5 (4/7/17)
Old 4/7/17, 06:41 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by carfreak666
Originally Posted by Gabe

Originally Posted by kylerohde
Not to hijack the thread but for about 10 years, my uncle's garage consisted of a Toyota Prius, a BMW 740iL and a Ferrari 360 Modena. Today, it's a Subaru Outback, Volvo V40 and the Ferrari.
LOL you guys... I feel the love.

Gabe, the part I left out was when I DID tell them about the Prius, they were like... oh WOW. I can understand why you need this garage then. Those cars are SO cool.

p.s. my wife told me to say type that - she loves her Prius
Old 4/7/17, 01:54 PM
I Have No Life

Kept teasing Marilyn last weekend... move in date getting closer.... and closer...

Old 4/7/17, 02:28 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,200 Posts
That's awesome Burton!! The excitement must be building. (no pun intended.)
Car looks dynamite bro. I meant to ask you, what rear spoiler are you sporting there?
Old 4/10/17, 07:03 AM
I Have No Life

That's awesome Burton!! The excitement must be building. (no pun intended.)
Car looks dynamite bro. I meant to ask you, what rear spoiler are you sporting there?
Thanks Tony!!! That's always been my GT500 spoiler. I have a CS wing/spoiler, all painted in Kona ready to install in my garage, but I think I love the GT500 spoiler too much.

Today at the house, they are installing our granite countertops!!! I joked with my wife - should we have gotten some for the garage, as my work bench top?
Old 4/10/17, 02:48 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Thanks Tony!!! That's always been my GT500 spoiler. I have a CS wing/spoiler, all painted in Kona ready to install in my garage, but I think I love the GT500 spoiler too much.
I agree with you. That looks killer. Love the look.

Yes,...you definitely need granite tops for the garage as well.
Old 4/10/17, 11:55 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
Looking good! And Marilyn is looking my-tee-fine there too!

Stay with the GT500 spoiler, it looks fantastic on her.

But hey watch out for those miscellaneous nails laying around out there. Hope your contractor has a very good cleanup guy. Hate to injure a paw...

Very nice Burton, love seeing your updates. I am sure move-in day can't get here quick enough.
Old 4/11/17, 01:53 PM
I Have No Life

I agree with you. That looks killer. Love the look.

Yes,...you definitely need granite tops for the garage as well.
Thanks Tony... can you imagine though. If I did have those granite counters, I would never hear the end of it from the wifey.

One thing that I WOULD like to put in some day, is an AC. I should have done that from the get go. Then I'm covered for hot AND cold weather

Originally Posted by shaneyusa
Looking good! And Marilyn is looking my-tee-fine there too!

Stay with the GT500 spoiler, it looks fantastic on her.

But hey watch out for those miscellaneous nails laying around out there. Hope your contractor has a very good cleanup guy. Hate to injure a paw...

Very nice Burton, love seeing your updates. I am sure move-in day can't get here quick enough.
Yes, good point... I was worried about that, but then again, I visit the site daily and I park there with my other cars, so I figured, it was ok But you're right though... risky.

Thanks for the props, Shane. Appreciate it.
Old 4/11/17, 02:54 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Thanks Tony... can you imagine though. If I did have those granite counters, I would never hear the end of it from the wifey.
One thing that I WOULD like to put in some day, is an AC. I should have done that from the get go. Then I'm covered for hot AND cold weather
Not a problem though.
Get one of those A/C units that are mobile with the wheels. Problem solved.
Old 4/12/17, 10:25 AM
I Have No Life

Not a problem though.
Get one of those A/C units that are mobile with the wheels. Problem solved.
Wouldn't I need like, 5 of those units to cover 1300 sq ft? lol...

I do know that I can still put in a wall mount unit... they'll just have to cut through the wall, siding, etc. then build a support up top and around the sides and bottom. Still, I wonder if a wall unit can support 1300 sq ft.
Old 4/12/17, 11:06 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts

I do know that I can still put in a wall mount unit... they'll just have to cut through the wall, siding, etc. then build a support up top and around the sides and bottom. Still, I wonder if a wall unit can support 1300 sq ft.
The roll around won't work
I have 1,000sq ft and tried it and it was a big failure
A mini split system would be best
Old 4/12/17, 11:35 PM
GT Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just do it, it will be 'extra' awesome then, I'm very envious and following your progress with great interest.
Old 4/13/17, 02:43 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
The roll around won't work
I have 1,000sq ft and tried it and it was a big failure
A mini split system would be best
What's a mini split system?

I'm also not even sure of the capacity of a wall mount unit. Can those handle the 1300 sq ft?

Originally Posted by Fawls
Just do it, it will be 'extra' awesome then, I'm very envious and following your progress with great interest.
Thanks man! Yeah - if only money were no thing... lol. I have still about at least $50k to spend on my garage for it to be "perfect". All the lighting, AC, heat, floor epoxy, lift, air compressor, etc... Goodness, I could go on.

This will be a working thread - like a mod thread, but instead of the car being "modded", the garage will be modded.

lol
Old 4/13/17, 03:38 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
What's a mini split system?

I'm also not even sure of the capacity of a wall mount unit.
I have the icynene foam insulation in my garage. It's about 1000-1100 sq ft with 9' ceiling on two stalls and 16' on the lift stall. Insulated garage doors of course and I run a 1/2 ton wall unit and it works great even in south Texas heat. I do have it previews for a mini split though but have never felt the need for it other than it's a cleaner install than a window unit. After 6 years I am on my second window unit.

A mini split puts the condenser outside like a traditional central AC unit. And there is a wall unit that doesn't vent to outside. It's remote controllable and can cool a room or large room. They are higher efficient than a window unit, like 24 SEER usually. They are pricier though. Usually about $2,400 around here but they have higher tonnage too.
Old 4/14/17, 02:39 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Wouldn't I need like, 5 of those units to cover 1300 sq ft? lol..
LOL
Probably. I knew that writing it. Your garage is WAY too large for that type of A/C unit. You would need a heavy duty muthatrucker. lol

Last edited by Stage_3; 4/14/17 at 02:39 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 4/19/17, 08:18 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
I have the icynene foam insulation in my garage. It's about 1000-1100 sq ft with 9' ceiling on two stalls and 16' on the lift stall. Insulated garage doors of course and I run a 1/2 ton wall unit and it works great even in south Texas heat. I do have it previews for a mini split though but have never felt the need for it other than it's a cleaner install than a window unit. After 6 years I am on my second window unit.

A mini split puts the condenser outside like a traditional central AC unit. And there is a wall unit that doesn't vent to outside. It's remote controllable and can cool a room or large room. They are higher efficient than a window unit, like 24 SEER usually. They are pricier though. Usually about $2,400 around here but they have higher tonnage too.
Thanks for the info on this. I will look into this as a future "mod" to my garage. I love how I am treating my Garaj Mahal like a car - I can upgrade and mod it. LOL.

Add to the $2400 the cost of the install too, plus material (siding, wood, etc.). I'm looking at probably $3500.

Quick Reply: Marilyn's new Stable! (i.e. garage)