Old 1/22/17, 04:25 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
Looking good there Burton. Thanks for the updates
Old 1/23/17, 02:12 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by typesredline
What is the update??? 😩 wanna know about the garage walls! It's been 14 hours already lol.
LOL... sorry about that, I meant to update this past weekend, but I spent most of the weekend at the house measuring and remeasuring stuff, and of course working some kitchen/pantry issues for the wife. (They were 3.5" OFF! )

So on the garage walls - I talked with the guys about some potential options to coat my walls on the 2 stall wash side, to make them more resistant to water.

- use mold and moisture board instead of drywall. I will be doing this regardless of the option I select

- hang FRP panels on the 2 walls that I will be washing in. They get bolted onto the face of the board. These panels are water resistant. I'd get them for the whole wall, from concrete to ceiling.

- hang galvanized steel on the 2 walls, similar to above. The material is similar to what you'd find in car wash bays. Have you ever looked at what material those are made of? Same thing...

- Epoxy paint the walls, after a coat of primer. This isn't 100% waterproof, but significantly more than basic drywall.

Right now, I am leaning towards the mold and moisture board, but then followed up with regular paint.

Why?

My logic is because:

a) I'm a very experienced/pro detailer, so it's not like I'd be madly spraying water onto my walls. If any water got on the walls, it would be slight overspray likely. Minimal if anything. Even in winter. (I'll have heated water).

b) the garage will be lined up with shelves in various spots. These shelves will house a lot of "things". So if I spend money and time installing FRP panels, or expensive paint, they will all be behind these shelves. What's that mean? The slight water overspray will hit the shelves, and not the walls. So what am I trying to protect?

What do you guys think? You agree with my logic?

Originally Posted by shaneyusa
Looking good there Burton. Thanks for the updates
Shane, thanks buddy! More pics upcoming, when they drywall. They are finishing up the steps to go inside the house from the garage...either today or tomorrow.
Old 1/23/17, 02:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
I'm thinking I'd use 3/8"" cement board (same stuff used behind tile in shower walls), then tape the joints and mud them with the proper cement board joint compound, then 2-3 coats of RedGard waterproofing membrane (goes on pink, dries red).
You could then leave the walls red, or tile the walls like you would a shower.

The steps I mention above, I took when I tiled the shower and the floor in the bathroom of the house we live it, a fixer-upper that we took 7 months to fully renovate before moving in.

The 1/4" cement boards installed and jointed:

Name:  2015-05-07_tub-walls2_zps9dbonnty.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  280.8 KB

Two coats of RedGard on and dry:

Name:  2015-05-20_tub-walls1_zps5emws8ph.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  249.2 KB

This ^^^ makes the joints and cement boards water-proof, no water gets through the red stuff.

Last edited by Gabe; 1/23/17 at 07:56 PM.
Old 1/23/17, 04:59 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,170 Likes on 1,618 Posts
Never heard of the red guard water membrane before!
Old 1/23/17, 07:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang Freak
Never heard of the red guard water membrane before!
Love the stuff!!
I've used it in the shower for the current house (pics above), and my first time using it was when I renovated one of the bathrooms in my old condo:

Name:  2013-04-25_tub-walls_zpsd2164ec2.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  199.4 KB
The following users liked this post:
Rog13GTCS (1/27/17)
Old 1/23/17, 08:37 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
If you did waterproof I would not want any penetrations in the wall for water to get behind and not get out of. FWIW

If it were me I'd put up 7/16" OSB plywood, 30# felt put up properly horizontally to overlap and then the hardie soffit 4x8 or 4x9 sheets. Caulk the joints and then prime and paint it with exterior latex to cover twice completely. Houses with siding on exterior walls get wet too in the rain and they're fine. They actually get rained on and stuff.

Basically building an exterior grade wall on the interior side.

There are things to consider like insulated walls and vapor barriers being inside and outside and how water and moisture and temperature changes will react both inside the behave the moisture/vapor barrier and on the back side of the plywood against the vapor barrier.

Being that your climate is much different than ours I would find someone who knew about these things in your area. You can actually create a problem you never thought of unintentionally. Just think it through.
Old 1/23/17, 08:40 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
And by penetrations I mean not only plugs and switches but screw holes from mounting shelves and stuff.

Maybe the best thing is the blue sheetrock, tape, float, and texture and use an exterior water resistant paint like you are intending. The one thing I know for sure is that I would not use regular sheetrock and I would not use interior grade wall paint.
Old 1/24/17, 09:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Best option is steel interior/exterior siding...no fuss, insulate, poly, hang and done.
Old 1/27/17, 02:27 PM
I Have No Life

Thanks for the input guys! My project manager gets back next week, so I will inquire about all this wall stuff. I'm still debating which waterproofing thing to do... if at all. We'll see.

Meanwhile, I have some updates. Might not seem like a big deal to you guys, but for me, it's sacred! My garage doors are here and installed! I'll take some better photos today when I swing by the house after work. I took these last night, day light was slim... and everyone was gone. I never knew how beautiful garage doors were until I saw these puppies. LOL

Inside view... I took these in better light today, but forgot to take the fronts, lol. Sorry.

Last edited by FromZto5; 1/27/17 at 02:30 PM.
Old 1/27/17, 03:05 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,197 Posts
Awesome update Burton!!!
Old 1/27/17, 07:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
Wow, they made a lot of progress. Got it all framed, and it looks like they have the roof on. Lookin' good.
Old 1/28/17, 12:40 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
Looking good Burton.
Old 1/28/17, 12:06 PM

Looking good. Nice doors, those top windows will be nice to add light to your space.
Old 2/16/17, 08:25 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Rog13GTCS
Wow, they made a lot of progress. Got it all framed, and it looks like they have the roof on. Lookin' good.
Originally Posted by GrnT
Looking good Burton.
Looking good. Nice doors, those top windows will be nice to add light to your space.
Thanks guys... sorry for the long delay. I was knee deep in work, plus we went on vacation to Disney. Other than being broke from that ridiculous trip, I've also been monitoring all the progress on the house (not just the garage). Needless to say, it's been very stressful.

Below is a markup of all the electrical info, including lights, tv's, fan, 220v outlets, and heater. What you don't see (since they're too numerous) are the regular outlets scattered about. I even have an outlet in between the 2 main garage doors. I have a total of about 16 outlets in that garage. 13 down low, and 3 up high (for TV's, heater, etc.)

Now, I am merely doing base bulb light fixtures for now, and the rest are prewire. I am having all the outlets completed, of course. I can then take my time choosing my fluorescent fixtures (LED likely), my fan, etc... The x3 220v outlets are one of my fave. One for the air compressor (by rear garage door), one by the lift area (for the lift), and one by the main 2 stall area (for future electric car). They are 30amp, so interchangeable.

Now for the actual pics. They have come a long way.

This was early this week:

Electrical complete, and insulation done.

And this was from today, drywall almost done:

They will be completely done with drywall tomorrow, I'll post updated pics. God, I love my tray ceiling. 14' ceilings are awesome. I can't wait to get my lift in there.

I then have to select the color for paint...

Last edited by FromZto5; 2/16/17 at 09:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Fawls (2/16/17)
Old 2/16/17, 09:03 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,951 Likes on 1,580 Posts
Burton ! Are those garage spaces just for Marilyn or the entire family ? Unless I'm hallucinating or something those images you posted appear to look larger than the size of my entire living and dinning rooms combined

And yes, I'm jealous
Old 2/16/17, 09:22 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Burton ! Are those garage spaces just for Marilyn or the entire family ? Unless I'm hallucinating or something those images you posted appear to look larger than the size of my entire living and dinning rooms combined

And yes, I'm jealous
haha! Thanks Rocky! Yes, the total sq ft is about 1200. Trust me, I wanted to make it bigger... I wanted it to be a 4 wide garage, and 3 deep. But wife said no. LOL. Some folks I know have bigger garages even. But that's ok. I am satisfied with this size. I can fit 5 in there (with a lift), if I really stretch it, I could probably get 6, but a couple of them have to be Civic sized cars.
Old 2/16/17, 10:15 PM

Did you wire for computer network? Make sure you put that in a wired network will give you a much more reliable internet connection for all those cool devices we all have and want.
Old 2/17/17, 07:46 AM
I Have No Life

Did you wire for computer network? Make sure you put that in a wired network will give you a much more reliable internet connection for all those cool devices we all have and want.
Hey Shane! Yes sir! Those TV locations all have ethernet/network hookups. The idea for that is, I can hookup my laptop to either TV, if I need to pull up a Youtube video for "how to install twin turbos on a mustang" . Then bam, it's up on the big screen. Of course, I will be able to watch DirecTV or Dish in there too, for sports, etc...
Old 2/17/17, 08:45 AM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,951 Likes on 1,580 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
haha! Thanks Rocky! Yes, the total sq ft is about 1200. Trust me, I wanted to make it bigger... I wanted it to be a 4 wide garage, and 3 deep. But wife said no. LOL. Some folks I know have bigger garages even. But that's ok. I am satisfied with this size. I can fit 5 in there (with a lift), if I really stretch it, I could probably get 6, but a couple of them have to be Civic sized cars.
Humm ! I wonder why your wife said no Burton lol. But look at the bright side, most folks are lucky enough to have just a 2 car garage, let alone able to fit 3 or more cars.. Heck I'd be more than happy just to be able to fit 2 cars in my garage

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 2/17/17 at 08:47 AM.
Old 2/17/17, 08:47 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
progress looks good Burton

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Marilyn's new Stable! (i.e. garage)